Walbro HD199 Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure a bad impulse would make it always run rich though. I thought a poor impulse would cause it to run lean. I've seen carbs run rich when people had seated the jet screws too tight, then opened them up to get the proper setting. That can cause it to be flared and look like a funnel. I've also seen jets that have been deformed or reamed out unintentionally when people use a torch tip cleaner to remove junk from the jets. That can also cause it to surge and idle poorly. The jets should look uniform, with crisp edges, otherwise it will be hard to make that carb work properly. Not that I know everything about this specific carb, but that has been what I've experienced. The metal is fairly soft so its not that forgiving. Im sure some of the full time builders can offer some advice.

I've been fortunate to have repaired my carbs with no issues until I recently got one with a bent h needle. So I'm just as curious as you are.

Im sure a bent H needle could also cause rich problems, and possibly deformation of the H jet also. The only cure for the deformed jet, if that is the case, would be to clean it up to make it uniform, then find a jet screw with a larger tip and same threads. Maybe there are other ways, like drilling it out and press in a proper size brass bushing. I did see a NOS walbro 199 on ebay for $35 last week so it may not be worth spending all that time on......unless you are like me and just like to figure out how to make something work.

Im sure a bent H needle could also cause rich problems, and possibly deformation of the H jet also. The only cure for the deformed jet, if that is the case, would be to clean it up to make it uniform, then find a jet screw with a larger tip and same threads. Maybe there are other ways, like drilling it out and press in a proper size brass bushing. I did see a NOS walbro 199 on ebay for $35 last week so it may not be worth spending all that time on......unless you are like me and just like to figure out how to make something work.

The bent needle wouldn't turn. If it doesn't turn it won't be consistent rich or lean. The issue was the fact it was not adjustable and I can't have my customers saw burn up over something like that.

I've been fortunate to have repaired my carbs with no issues until I recently got one with a bent h needle. So I'm just as curious as you are.

Time is money........if they don't work after a pass thru the ultrasonic cleaner and a new kit.......next stop is the trash can. We wasted a bunch of time on a 7900 a few days ago......turned out to be a bad carb.

I see someone finally took the hint and bought that 175 for $25 on feebay. :msp_thumbup:

I still have a 175 to trade off, because I'm not into the stuff anymore. It was a back up to my 199's and all my saws that ran them are gone. It's been setting for years on the shelf. Might need a kit, might not. :msp_unsure:

Aren't the accelerator pumps still an issue to be reckoned with in the Walbro model hda 199, 175 AND 159 carbs etc.? Or is the correct carb kit the cure all?

OK, I don't usually fool with zombie threads... But I have read all 23 pages of this and I think I get a mulligan for my efforts and time invested...

I have spent an unusual amount of time trying to find the definitive cure for the erratic idle on my 357... and I gotta say, around page 10 I was ready to contact Scott and arrange to send my carb to him... (Please, don't anybody go back to pg 10 and quote posts wondering which one had me convinced, just tossing a random number out there ;))

So as I keep trudging along, after a few hints and much teasing, I see Scott posted a vid... Big thanks to Scott for this! Thank you Sir!

But to my huge disappointment, the link to the vid was not there... (pulled what is likely to be the last fistful of hair out of my knoggin at this point).. But then a good fellow posted a link with the vid on a thread of my own.

It seems I am quite late to this party about the 357/359 Walbro carb issues... But just the same, this information has helped me immensely...I am sure there are more late-comers out there than just me... I hope! LOL!

But in all seriousness, I said all that to say this: It's a great thing that AS is just as informative as it is entertaining!

Thank you

Edit to add: Treemonkey, do you sell the k24-hda kits?? Least I can do is give the man who has helped us all the first crack at my business for a kit. Rather support a site sponsor before going to ebay...

Aren't the accelerator pumps still an issue to be reckoned with in the Walbro model hda 199, 175 AND 159 carbs etc.? Or is the correct carb kit the cure all?
I never heard of this issue on the 175 or 159, but that doesn't necessarily mean it never happened. There likely was a reason that the 174/175 was replaced by the 199 etc though, on the 357/359?

Of course the 190, 191 and 198 are as likely to fail as the 198.

One last question as this seems to be THE Walbro 199 repair thread...

Any advice for or against drilling the 1/8" hole in the cover along with having the correct holes in the gasket and diaphragm to make double sure there will be no issues???

I read to page 6 and got sick of people arguing about helping this guy with his carb and just can't stand to read anymore of it. I don't want to send my carb out. I just want to fix it myself. I'm having the usual problems I drilled holes put in correct rebuild set the height for that lever thing and I still having same problems. Is the a page where someone gave useful info in this thread instead of bickering and making a 3 page thread twenty some pages long?

back around p.17 treemonkey made a video on the fix. it is gone now. maybe you can get him to repost it.

Back