Walbro WA Carb Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me, I've tried everything:cry:! Actually, I can run the H needle all the way in and it doesn't run a bit differently. I didn't mean to hold that bit of info from you guys. I've just tried so many things it's hard to remember.

If you can seat both needles without any change then it is time to dump that carb and get a different one. If I was you I would get a new one unless the used one is returnable if non-functioning. Lots of folks have buckets of used crap carbs and many of them find their way to EBay.

I have had a lot of 020AVs and have yet to get one with a crapped out carb but the dealer I used to get parts from had a bunch. I was going to cast them into a hammer to whack 020s with but he declined.

If you can seat both needles without any change then it is time to dump that carb and get a different one. If I was you I would get a new one unless the used one is returnable if non-functioning. Lots of folks have buckets of used crap carbs and many of them find their way to EBay.

I have had a lot of 020AVs and have yet to get one with a crapped out carb but the dealer I used to get parts from had a bunch. I was going to cast them into a hammer to whack 020s with but he declined.

Only the H needle can be seated without change. And the saw actually idles nicely if not loaded up by running at WOT. I think it's limited to the H circuit.

OK I have had little experience with them but there was about five different type and different colors. Some would not work on all applications. Has that issue been changed? Mike

Mike is right, they came with various ignitions. I gonna say that nova is stock, just one of many variations.

I think your low is too far out. The 020 carbs are extremely sensitive. A 1/32 of a turn makes a difference. I have fixed a few where the L was only a 1/4 out. They are such a pain to work at first, then get a little easier. Make sure you carb mount is not cracked or anything like that. Those can give people fits. The impulse lines can get melted pretty easily too because it is so close to the jug. Had that happen to me too.

I will get ya a carb and ignition tomorrow to go along with the oil cap and off switch. I got firewood to cut in the morning though.:rock:

maybe I'm alittle too simple but if the H isn't doing anything would not that mean that the H passage is clogged? if I recall the tank on this saw was pretty bad, so wouldn't the carb be as bad or worse?

yeah, but if the H does nothing that means you are not getting any fuel flow thru that passage way?

Not necessarily; it could mean that it's getting way too much fuel some other way - much like if the governor circuit/valve is malfunctioning on a governed carb.

The longer I look at this thread it sure seems like you're dealing with a bad governor or check valve etc. - the symptoms are exactly what I experienced with the governed carb on my 181SE after I ported it. It was sucking so much fuel after being modded that it wouldn't rev out at all. But I know you've dealt with that same issue before too. :deadhorse:

FWIW I replaced the little Walbro on that little Husky 36 and it fired right up and runs like a top now. It had a WT carb though, not a WA, so it had welch plugs under the metering diaphragm instead of the gaskets etc. that your WA has. Either way though, something was buggered with the old carb, because I even used all the same gaskets and diaphragms in the new one (they were from a fresh rebuild kit) and it worked great. It would rev out just fine, but seemed to flood and die upon return to idle. The new one has a significantly larger venturi than the old one, but it also came off a 36, so I have no idea why it's different. Seems to work though, so I don't care!

The carb on my FS56 trimmers are WA-series carbs that look very close to the one on your 020. I had a bit of a challenge rebuilding one of those and it's still pretty finicky to run. I do have a spare somewhere - I have no idea what the linkages would be like compared to one for an 020 but a guy might be able to swap some parts around to make it work (I've done it before with other carbs). If I had a better picture to compare to I could figure that out.

Last edited:
I hate when threads hang in suspense...... WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM ? :confused:

Where is the carb now? Maybe a trip in my new HF ultrasonic cleaner could give it new life.

Did you get the small $40 one or the bigger one? I looked at them this weekend, the small one woudl be fine for chainsaw carbs but not much else. Ill keep my eye out for a bigger one.
Do they heat up? i know the Northern one does.

Did you get the small $40 one or the bigger one? I looked at them this weekend, the small one woudl be fine for chainsaw carbs but not much else. Ill keep my eye out for a bigger one.
Do they heat up? i know the Northern one does.

Ya, I snagged the small $40 one ( only size available and I had a 20% off coupon). I rarely work on anything else besides 2 stroke OPE, so this one should be fine, but a bigger one would be better no doubt. No heater either, they say to use warm water. I have dropped a few things in it, but haven't tried any of the carbs yet.

Ya, I snagged the small $40 one ( only size available and I had a 20% off coupon). I rarely work on anything else besides 2 stroke OPE, so this one should be fine, but a bigger one would be better no doubt. No heater either, they say to use warm water. I have dropped a few things in it, but haven't tried any of the carbs yet.

ill send you my 039 carb to try. couldn't get it working. Or ill order my own after you test it.

I might pull the trigger on this. 1 year warranty. By then ill get a better one.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?In...utm_medium=ShoppingSites&utm_campaign=CD-2800

Last edited:
ill send you my 039 carb to try. couldn't get it working. Or ill order my own after you test it.

I might pull the trigger on this. 1 year warranty. By then ill get a better one.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?In...utm_medium=ShoppingSites&utm_campaign=CD-2800

That is the same one I got at HF. I dropped some jewelry and such in there with just straight water, didn't seem to clean anything. Then I add some soap and tried an 044 carb, the water was dirty after that cycle and the carb "looked" good after a few cycles. I have some 025 carbs that I could never get working, I need to test those in the Ultrasonic.

That is the same one I got at HF. I dropped some jewelry and such in there with just straight water, didn't seem to clean anything. Then I add some soap and tried an 044 carb, the water was dirty after that cycle and the carb "looked" good after a few cycles. I have some 025 carbs that I could never get working, I need to test those in the Ultrasonic.

Ya, and let me know. I just bid on one on eBay will see what happens.
175 degree is what the heated ones go to or at least the northern one.
Lake used purple cleaner in his I believe.

Ya, and let me know. I just bid on one on eBay will see what happens.
175 degree is what the heated ones go to or at least the northern one.
Lake used purple cleaner in his I believe.

The funny thing is that the manual said to not use any cleaning agents or anything, just plain water. At the HF store, they had an ultrasonic cleaning powder right next to the machine.:dizzy:

Back