Walnut log pricing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys have all commented on homeowners asking arborists to buy logs. My question is what is a fair price when a logger comes to your house and asks you if he can cut down and take some of your trees? Also is there anybody that is like a third party that can help you price logs for selling to a mill?:confused:

You guys have all commented on homeowners asking arborists to buy logs. My question is what is a fair price when a logger comes to your house and asks you if he can cut down and take some of your trees? Also is there anybody that is like a third party that can help you price logs for selling to a mill?:confused:

Yeah a consulting forester, but he's gonna wanna take a chunk upwards of 15%. Selling timber depends on the area and what is hot. Around my area poplar is the top seller but it is also abundant and grows well here. Red oak or black oak "ehh" not so hot unless you travel about 2 hrs north. Walnut and cherry have it's pockets, in one area it could be #### and the next gold it al depends. I think you have to find the right buyer too.

i personally have bought single yard trees, with stipulations, it must be prime or veneer and they must clean up what i dont take... i just did one for a friends neighbor, payed him $300 and put $530 in my pocket, whole shebang took me all of 25 minutes. i'll take that over a removal anyday.... btw, i sell walnut for min $1.00 a BF and have sold upwards of $12 a BF

So the dude says 1200 for 8 trees,mostly walnut.If I hired the consulting forester hed get 180. So I should roll the dice and deal with the guy myself. Guess Ill take a chance.:)

$1200 seems fair but on the low side, I bought 7 walnuts last week for $1800 nothing over 24" dia at the 8' mark. sold them to my veneer guy and my saw log guy for $2300 and some change.

Black Walnut is as good as gold here.I cut several down 3 years ago and had it cut into slabs,let it air dry for 2 years and now it is my kitchen cabinets,table and mantel.The table top is 3" thick and around 6' long 4'wide.The lumber supplier was at the cabinet shop while I was drooling over my new table and he told me that the top alone would have cost me over $2400.00. :rock: I was paid to remove the trees and spent $350.oo to slab it up.The painful part was waiting for it to dry.

What type of cedar do you want, eastern red, western red, white....I've had people tell me their farmstead arbs are valuable because they are cedar....

Eastern red mostly, i'd love to get my hands on more white. But out here on the wind swept plains i don't see it much. Old power poles is how i get any white cedar.

I got $ 200 net plus the highly valuable log to take out about a 30" DBH "walnut" and keep the log. When I showed up, it had turned into an elm........

It was at a rest home where I used to live. I got a good deal when I stayed there, and it

Took just under two hours, so I just use it for prodding fodder.

But those videos are priceless.

Walnut Log pricing

:popcorn:
I did take that log in my initial query to the lumber yard. I got 176.00 for it. It was actually 31" by 9 ft long. 220 board feet at 80 cents a ft. i believe it was. I broke even on that job, but the log income brought me a little income from the removal. Thanks for all the posts.
Jake

:popcorn:
I did take that log in my initial query to the lumber yard. I got 176.00 for it. It was actually 31" by 9 ft long. 220 board feet at 80 cents a ft. i believe it was. I broke even on that job, but the log income brought me a little income from the removal. Thanks for all the posts.
Jake

Cool .80 a BF is not bad. Glad it worked out for you.

The cedar is a little puzzling to me too, Everything from bird houses to deck planking to bedroom divider screens. I had a guy stop in yesterday looking for 5/4 cedar he wanted enough to side one of his out buildings. Had to tell him I didn't have any that thick or even that much. Most is cut 4/4 or 3/4 . And yes I usually don't say anything about buying or paying for a tree, but if they ask I'll take off a minimul amount.

What's so puzzling? Its HIGHLY VALUABLE!

Latest posts

Back