Walnut or something else?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure of the kind of tree[ I think a dead Sycamore ], but it is in bad condition and needs to come down, look at the split in the fork and it is hollow I expect

I am not sure of the kind of tree[ I think a dead Sycamore ], but it is in bad condition and needs to come down, look at the split in the fork and it is hollow I expect
Where are you seeing a split??? What leads you to suspect it is hollow? (Or dead?)

I'll go with Planetree.
It is the larger genus Platanus for sure. Not likely London Plane (Platanus x hispanica - some publications call it Platanus × acerifolia . either way that species is a cross of Platanus occidentalis (American Sycamore) and P. orientalis (Oriental Sycamore). The reason I say not likely London Plane is because the balls are attached in twos. His pic in Post #15 has a row of 3. Not that it is impossible to have variability in nature! - but that is a identification separator.

I don't think that is a split...just the bark forming under the Y. That is auch more open "U" shaped fork instead of a tighter "V" shape. That means a split is far, far less likely. Certainly worth a closer look though!

I do think so, took one down and killed one last year and doesn’t look the same.

Back