This field was planted to black walnuts in '87, a total of 3,500 seedlings planted. The next year was a drought year, and I ended up hauling lots of water to keep them alive. As I didn't have the ability to apply sufficient amounts of water to the entire 10 acres, I concentrated on a six acre portion, the remaining seedlings having to be satisfied with what little rain did occur. I had a 300 gallon tank on the back of my truck, was able to fill and apply three tanks per evening after work, enough for one of the thirteen rows, and on the weekend get the remaining eight rows watered, then the next week start all over again. The area that was watered had about 75% survival for the season, the area that was not watered less than 20% survival. Thirty years later, this is what the field looks like. I've been using a kick-wheel rotary mower in addition to my flail mower to cut the grass/weeds in the rows between the trees. Originally this was mounted on the front three-point hitch with the flail mower on the rear. Last year I moved the kick-wheel mower to a mounting on the flail mower which gave better results, but required lots of looking backwards while mowing, rather tiring after a while (I'm in my late 70s), and I tried adding an "aiming rod" to the mower, as shown below, which makes mowing much easier and results in considerably improved results. I can now view the precise positioning of the mower relative to the row looking out the side window of the tractor cab rather than back over my shoulder. I mow with the "aiming rod" about an inch away from the tree trunks. Simple little attachment, made from materials already on hand.