wanna trie pole climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthetrobag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ive been a tree climber for six years and want try pole climbing. Can anyone help me get started.

seriously where do you get competition spikes at.

I think that most of the fast climbers are using toe gaffs now. Good luck finding them, I think they are all custom made jobs. I don't know anyone who makes them. The best way to start is to dig up some old footage (like the Stihl Series or whatever you can find) so you can see what your up against,,,,,,, and make friends with a machinest/welder.

Here is a link to the axemans assoc. official rules, that should help you out some.http://www.usaxemen.com/usaa/idxcontacts.shtml

Here is what the USAA list's for rules:

SPEED CLIMBING RULES:
This event will be judged on time. Timing will begin with the starting signal and will end when the climber returns to the ground after he/she has climbed the required distance and strikes the bell with his body or any part of his/her equipment. The required height of the sparring pole will be of the show's own choosing. In a one way climb, the time will end when the bell is rung.
There will be no restrictions upon the type of descent except that no climber shall be allowed to free-fall or slide more than 15 feet without setting a spur.
The contestant must have at least one foot on the ground or starting platform at the starting signal.
A high topped footwear of climber choice, preferably boosts, must be worn. Gloves, climbing belt and spurs may be of the climbers own design.
The climbing rope must be at least 7/8 inch diameter with steel cord. The side used for Tieing-in and adjustments must be free of snaps. One climbing rope is to be tied at all times and two ropes are to be used if it necessary to cross guy lines.
Contestants will alternate trees in a two day show if two trees are use. In a one day show, if two trees, contestants will draw for the tree.
Note that it has been found that the best place for the bell is about 12 inches from the top of the tree on a safety line, guy line or cross arm. It is recommended that foam padding be used at the bottom of the spar poles. If foam is not available then sawdust may be used.

Last edited:
Back