want to learn climbing in MA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only place I've been climbing so far has been my backyard, and those trees all have really high limbs and lots of dead wood.

I like the Franklin Park idea. Also, beech trees have always been one of my favorite climbing trees since as a kid my friend had a gigantic beech in his backyard that we used to climb all the time.

I went to the city parks website to see where Franklin Park is. As usual they have a big list of the things you can't do in the park. Here's a cut-n-paste from that list:

SECTION 2. No person shall, in any public park (including any boundary road thereof), or other public place (including any parkway) under the control of the Parks and Recreation Commission, except under the auspices of public authority:

(a) sit, stand or lie upon, or climb upon or over, any balustrade, railing, fence, wall, roof, statue, monument, fountain, bush or tree; or

(b) go under any balustrade, railing or fence, or

(c) stand or lie upon any seat; or

(d) go upon any flower bed or cultivated area; or...

So, if I read this correctly, we're not supposed to climb trees in the parks. However, we're not supposed to drive 56 in a 55mph zone either, so it's a matter of getting caught, I guess.

If anyone has experience with the rules enforcement in the parks, that would be good to know.

Bob, you're a stickler for details :) I believe permission will be arranged for this climb. The no tree climbing rule is enforced in Boston parks.

Last edited:
Hey OTG Boston, that's cool! Yeah, we be rollin' with the warden.

So, which way to the beech?

Okay, one week from tomorrow and we can go climbing!

I wonder how much rain we'll get...maybe it'll be a light rain, with only an inch or two falling...

Where will we meet at the park?

nice trees in mass

anyone know anyone that works for Tree Tech in Foxboro?

And if you live in mass and havnt gone to the Arnold Arboreum, go there! Like today! Most amazing trees I've ever seen. There are cut-leaf norway maples there! Who knew!

Hope you all link up and enjoy the views...I miss working in like Newton and being up a huge oak and seein' Boston.

But I dont miss Matapan.

rmihalek said:
Okay, one week from tomorrow and we can go climbing!

I wonder how much rain we'll get...maybe it'll be a light rain, with only an inch or two falling...

Where will we meet at the park?

The climb is on, more details coming in the next couple of days.
-moss

Wish I could join you guys, unfortunately i cant because I will be heading to Ireland for 10 days. I Climbed and pruned a huge beach tree in the rain today, I was slipping and sliding all over the place( but was always tied in: so don't worry)......Just some advice for less experienced climbers, the beeches in franklin park will be much more difficult if your climb fallows wet weather. Hopefully you guys will have sunny sky by then though...good luck guys

www.dillontree.com

I love ireland

Man am I jealous! I was in Ireland a few years ago and that place is truly magical.

I was in a red oak today with my buddy...on a lake...wind like from Mt. Olympus..felt like I spider being blown all around...half of me loved it, the other half was screaming for a towel.

In ireland they like to ask you How the crack is...by "crack" they mean "story..or happening.." its kind of startling.

Buy can I taste that guiness right now...

where ya goin in IrelaND?

Avalon

First i must say I don't know any one from Tree-Tech, but i hear they are a good company, and I have bid against them on a few municipal contracts. Secondly, I cant wait for Ireland, In fact I'm training for Ireland with a six pack of Guinness: as we speak. We will arrive In Dublin and head around the coast in a southern direction; traveling the coast till we arrive to Shannon on day 10 for our flight home. We have no Itinerary so far except to stop in Limerick, the city were my family came from in the 1930's. If you have any suggested "must see places" that we could visit in central or Southern Ireland I would love to hear from you. Any advice from a Ireland "Veteran" would be greatly appreciated.

www.dillontree.com

ireland

I miss that company alot. Thanks for mentioning that you know them.

A place that I highly recommend that is only bout 20 min. outside of dublin on a bus is called (i'll spell it the way its pronounced) Glass Nevin. Its a HUGE celtic cemetary, the stones and the carnings are incredible. the artesty is beyon.
my family is from waterford (back in the day) and my mom and i want to get there.
You cant go wrong in Ireland..everyone is so nice and helpful and when they find out you're Irish they get even nice and even more helpful.

God made whiskey to keep the Irish from takin' over the world.
Try a hot whiskey too..wow..

"It must have been the Irish that built the pyramids...for nobody else could have carried up the bricks"...thanks for the advice......I will go there for sure....Warm Whiskey??? The thought never crossed my mind, only a real Irishman would think to heat the stuff up like a coffe or a tea

www.dillontree.com

anti biotics

not warm
HOT
they put in cinnamin sticks and all kinds of other ????e and serve it hot to helpcure what might be ailin ya
or at least that how it was in county Louth
I lived there for almost a month at my buddies house
wile place, man
too bad the Irish lost out at the World Cup
Im bummed
yeah, checki out glass nevin...there some nice trees in that cemetary too. The pubs outside of Dublin seemed to be a little more fun, but many of them in the city have these beautiful irish lasses doin all of that river dancin'
i gotta calm down
im gettin fired up and its probably gonna keep raining for another week.

Latest posts

Back