War is on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got new reinforcements to the vermin catagory- Bald faced hornets- big old nest 15 or so yards off back door about 12 ft up- Normally a 20 gauge & #8 shot would fix this. I got new neighbors with a ton of kids so that ain't gona fly. Can't get close enough with a spray can either. Them suckers post guards night and day. Been putting a few holes though the nest with the air gun. I don't know if my pressure washer, if I can get it started, will toss a strong enough stream from a safe distance to cut it out of the tree ( toss some soap in the injection port at same time). I can get bigger holes through it with a sling shot ( think 50 cal balls or 32 cal wad cutters) I think but got to find new bands. suckers a good 18" long didn't have camera try to remember tonight.

Got new reinforcements to the vermin catagory- Bald faced hornets- big old nest 15 or so yards off back door about 12 ft up- Normally a 20 gauge & #8 shot would fix this. I got new neighbors with a ton of kids so that ain't gona fly. Can't get close enough with a spray can either. Them suckers post guards night and day. Been putting a few holes though the nest with the air gun. I don't know if my pressure washer, if I can get it started, will toss a strong enough stream from a safe distance to cut it out of the tree ( toss some soap in the injection port at same time). I can get bigger holes through it with a sling shot ( think 50 cal balls or 32 cal wad cutters) I think but got to find new bands. suckers a good 18" long didn't have camera try to remember tonight.

Years ago I had a hornet's nest about that size in thick hemlock shrubbery that was lining the driveway. People, including myself, were driving right by this nest and at times even walking right past it, it was maybe six feet from the edge of the driveway. They never attacked but obviously had to go. One neighbor told me what to do. A long pole with a flaming rag on the end of it lit the whole nest on fire, and the fire burned most of their wings off as they were trying to escape. We got rid of it and nobody got stung.

My corn is just about ready and the raccoons have just found out about this. They ate some last night. They pull the stalks down by climbing on them and then eat the corn. Hopefully there will be enough for all of us and lord knows there are enough raccoons around here. Never heard of coyotes eating watermelons, did you catch 'em in the act?

View attachment 516585 View attachment 516586

I'm relaying the very accurate eyewitness account.

Contact has been made with the Mechanic to iron out the current issues with the 300BO, and adjustments will be made to ensure this is better managed in the future.

# It's Hard to kill A Coyote @ 65yrds in the dark while holding a flashlight with a G19.

You Need Bee Booper.
https://www.medco-athletics.com/Supply/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=38006M

not enough range, dealt with them before, they have a perimeter any thing inside that all hxxx breaks loose. Been about 5 years since one was this close to the house. Where's a flame thrower when ya need one ( circa WWll ) sides you ever try to move a 30+ foot pole around

Then for the safety of the neighbors kids, a shotgun.

Explain the situation to the neighbors and ask for them to maintain their curtain climbers while you dispatch the vermin.

Discharge of firearm - prohibited by local Gov. rules- couple of the gov. around here have it worded as discharge of any single projectile or fire arm. Yep that includes sling shots and Bows.

not enough range, dealt with them before, they have a perimeter any thing inside that all hxxx breaks loose. Been about 5 years since one was this close to the house. Where's a flame thrower when ya need one ( circa WWll ) sides you ever try to move a 30+ foot pole around
223 or 270 ought to stretch out furnuff

Too many to pick off one at a time:D My 10 gauge loaded with # 8,s would turn the whole shebang into a dust cloud. Course then I would end up in one of special places courtesy of the local gendarmes.

A buddy in Va. was going to pick his sweet corn patch and can them all. A bear beat him to it, wiping out his whole patch in one night.

Wasps/hornets get sprayed with Perm-Up in a pump up sprayer. 4 ounces in a 2.5 gallon sprayer kills them so fast then drop right to the ground and don't fly away.

For vermin, I have multiple choices. regular live traps or dog proof traps for coons, Conibear 220's for woodchucks, rat traps for squirrels, snares or foot hold traps for 'yotes and if those fail high speed lead poisoning always works.

I have heard of people using poison for coons too, but I hate using it as it isn't as target specific as I like.

Well I have pumped a couple hundred .20 an .22 pellets through the Hornet nest, there is one big ugly hole on the off side from my launching sight. And side facing my position is a bit of a sieve now. Will try the the sprays again. That perm -up is expensive in the 35 or better % class + it seems ya need an Lic to get your hands on it. I have 410 tubes for the 12ga cuts the noise quite a bit using the 30" single but still a pretty good pop. air rifles take care of the small vermin and cci quiet (.22 sub sonic) zone in a long barrel ain't much louder. I have some high power air rifles that are as loud as a .22 rifle with a reg load. more than capable of taking coons , yotes also with proper shot placement. Technically not a firearm depending on local ordinances. Got to get some of those gopher smoke bombs though. little buggers are in an area I can't get a shot at ( without neighbors getting all bent out of shape) and they figured out the rat traps. Heck I even had the seeds glued to the trip plate. Can't put poison out due to roaming neighbors muts. Sure miss that Weasel family from a couple years back and haven't seen any fox since the new neighbors moved in with the full soccer team. Too dxxn crowded around here for me now days.

Hornets Zero, Me WIN. I actually blew out about a third of the nest with the airgun. Raid finished it off. The spectradcide I tried the first time was in-effective. No activity this morning 6am.

Did a tour around the house yesterday, hmmmmm new holes by foundation- gophers by the look. Can't use the lead poising system in that area so got some of those smoke bombs- Hope the neighbors don't call the fire department this evening. ( I got one that gots to stick it's nose in everybody else's business) tried rat traps before to no avail. even glued the seeds to the trip plate.

Did a tour around the house yesterday, hmmmmm new holes by foundation- gophers by the look. Can't use the lead poising system in that area so got some of those smoke bombs- Hope the neighbors don't call the fire department this evening. ( I got one that gots to stick it's nose in everybody else's business) tried rat traps before to no avail. even glued the seeds to the trip plate.

Cross bow FTW.

Last week, I finished harvesting and freezing my corn. The coons got some, but to be honest, I got tired of picking, shucking, cutting, stuffing freezer bags, etc. By the end of it all, I didn't begrudge them the bushel or so that they ate up. I got 13 bushels and that was enough. As far as I know, we've only got one or two coons left in the neighborhood, my traps and my dogs seem to be doing a pretty good job of discouraging them.

Don't whine about loosing stuff if you don't use a really HOT electric fence around stuff!!!!!!!!!

have a crossbow pistol 80#- works pretty good up to about 20 yards- but ya got be real sneaky with it otherwise the gophers dive out of the way of the bolt.

Latest posts

Back