"Wasps" in my wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've noticed for several weeks that a wasp-like insect is boring holes in my wood. The only species it is working on is the hedge, which was split and stacked last November. They bore a hole about 1/4" across and burrow into the wood. I tried to get a picture but, being wasps, they wood not land long enough to capture them digitally. They are about half the size of the typical wasp and are dark blue to black in color. I plan to spray anyway, as the are producing alot of fine sawdust. Very curious as to why the hedge only.

Last edited:
maybe because it's softer wood?

i have a problem with those fat wood bees (they're black and yellow) like huge bumble bees. they bore holes in my cedar trim and if i don't stay on top of them and kill the larvae, then the wood peckers show up and begin pecking at the boards to eat them. argh!

i've had to fill the holes with caulking, then repaint them.

anyways.....softer wood would be my guess.

BAD WASP!!!!

I think the best thing to do here is get a ms361.. That will scare them away!!:buttkick: :popcorn:

just found out about using dawn dishwashing liquid mixed strong on hornets and wasps.

Those black/blue, like a gun barrel are hunters, they kill wasps, jittery buggers too. They are a good part of the insect world.

The only ones I don't swat.

Those black/blue, like a gun barrel are hunters, they kill wasps, jittery buggers too. They are a good part of the insect world.

The only ones I don't swat.

+1 Beneficial insect, great if you have a vegetable garden nearby. :cheers:

Back