Water in the woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG Medic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else brings a Camelbak with them to the woods when they do cutting. I bring one with me whenever I am going to be outside doing physical labor for a while. I don't know if its because the military has staying hydrated beat into my subconscious or what.

US Army studies have shown that people using Camelbak hydration systems stay more hydrated because you can have a drink whenever you want and you don't have to stop what you are doing to take a drink and you don't chug water when you do drink you slowly drink throughout the day. SSG Medic

I was wondering if anyone else brings a Camelbak with them to the woods when they do cutting. I bring one with me whenever I am going to be outside doing physical labor for a while. I don't know if its because the military has staying hydrated beat into my subconscious or what.

US Army studies have shown that people using Camelbak hydration systems stay more hydrated because you can have a drink whenever you want and you don't have to stop what you are doing to take a drink and you don't chug water when you do drink you slowly drink throughout the day. SSG Medic

I can't believe I forgot about my 'Camelbak' (made by a different company)! I just pulled it out of my storage tote. It'll be used tomorrow!

I've been down here (6 years :blush:) trying to beat the terrible Southern summers. I've used 1/2 and 1 gallon cooler jugs...but why I didn't think of using my 'Camelbak'...unbelievable...:rolleyes:.

Kevin

I have a Camelbak strapped to my fire gear and an extra pouch on my wedge belt that sometimes gets a water bottle but otherwise I don't carry water on me. I don't want the extra weight or extra straps in case I have to fun from a falling tree. I drink alot of water during the day but I hand carry it.

I keep mine in a jug. Personally don't need anything else on me while im working. Especially while cuttin with PPE and wedges, etc. With a jug I am more likely to take more water breaks to cool down and not over do it. But the camelback is a good idea. Just my .02 cents worth

The Camelbak is great for hiking, riding and any activity that takes you away from a water supply. I question the efficiency of carrying water on your back when fresh water can be had sitting in a cooler a few feet away.

You have a point. I'm going to try it the next time I'm cutting (hopefully tomorrow) and see how I like it. I don't think having the water on my back will bother me, and I think I'll like taking multiple sips on-the-go. A good thing about going to a water cooler is taking a break while in the heat. Comes down to each individual and their preference.

Kevin

I keep mine in a jug. Personally don't need anything else on me while im working. Especially while cuttin with PPE and wedges, etc. With a jug I am more likely to take more water breaks to cool down and not over do it. But the camelback is a good idea. Just my .02 cents worth

Good point.

Kevin

I have a backpack with a compartment for a water bladder but I never got around to buying one. Would be great for hiking. I am with Treeco though. I wouldn't want to carry one around on my back while I'm working. I bring a large juice bottle of frozen water. I have several of them, fill them, keep them in the freezer and rotate them for work. I usually stop and buy the 3 for 3 dollar sports drinks in the morning from QT along with my coffee. By the time we run out of the power aid or whatever you call it the water is thawed enough to drink. It thaws very quickly in our Summer heat. We take several water breaks on the hottest days, sit in the shade, cool off and get a drink of water.

I've been down here (6 years :blush:) trying to beat the terrible Southern summers. I've used 1/2 and 1 gallon cooler jugs...but why I didn't think of using my 'Camelbak'...unbelievable...:rolleyes:.

Kevin

You wont win in these Arkansas summers. We've been lucky lately, these 65 degree days in Late May have been Heaven. Supposed to be in the 90's this weekend. Welcome to to the Southern Summer Sauna!

most of the time i carry those litte water bottle in my back pocket im suprised that they stay there all day. then i keep a few in the skidder then just grab another one when i need one.

You wont win in these Arkansas summers. We've been lucky lately, these 65 degree days in Late May have been Heaven.

Yep. In the 6 years I've been here, I have appreciated the 'cooler' temperatures this year thus far. Sounds like tomorrow is when reality sets in.

Supposed to be in the 90's this weekend. Welcome to the Southern Summer Sauna!

Every year I ask myself why I moved down here...I know, I know move back North. Wish it was that easy. Lots involved.

Kevin

I have 3 of them and don't ever take them with....

Being as I am literally a constant state of dehydration, I should... I rarely get the "thirsty" feeling though. I typically get almost to the point of being sick before I remember to start drinking water.

I have 3 of them and don't ever take them with....

Being as I am literally a constant state of dehydration, I should... I rarely get the "thirsty" feeling though. I typically get almost to the point of being sick before I remember to start drinking water.

I sweat like crazy and if I had grown up down here, I would have had it ingrained in me by now to constantly drink water. So I have to remind myself to drink lots of water. Last summer there was at least 2 times where I got sick because of not drinking enough water while cutting. Maybe my 'Camelback' will help remind me.

Kevin

On hot days somtimes I have a tendency not to fill the gas tanks up all the way either. Just kidding, but it is important to stay hydrated. Especially days like tommorow when its supposed to be 85 degrees. Today the humidity is terrible, I miss the cold season when I was hunting in those 13 degree days.

Good thinking. I`ll try it. I always have plenty of water to hand. Last time i was out cutting with my chaps on i was panting like a dog in no time. Having water adjacent to my fuel can gives me the oportunity to stop, take my chaps off and relax, but taking regular sips from a camelbak while working can only be a good thing. You sweat away litres of water in high heat and feeling thursty is not a good indicator of dehydration. It can creep up on you without warning.

On hot days somtimes I have a tendency not to fill the gas tanks up all the way either. Just kidding, but it is important to stay hydrated. Especially days like tommorow when its supposed to be 85 degrees. Today the humidity is terrible, I miss the cold season when I was hunting in those 13 degree days.

:clap:Me to man , love the cold hate the summer!
I bring water or Gatorade or something when I cut though in the winter,
and I drink a ton in the summer!

kinda off topic but....

one day last year i was riding the kx125 on the hotest day of the year with a bunch of freinds and fell from heat exastion broke my hand since then i have my camelback every where i go if its over 80.passed out last week from the heat.just finished buckin a log too.

I sweat like crazy and if I had grown up down here, I would have had it ingrained in me by now to constantly drink water. So I have to remind myself to drink lots of water. Last summer there was at least 2 times where I got sick because of not drinking enough water while cutting. Maybe my 'Camelback' will help remind me.

Kevin

It is when you stop sweating you should start to worry. Sweat is the body naturally trying to cool itself off. Keep a cooler near the gas n oil, It drinks I drink. I stop sweating I stop and take a serious break, grab a snack (usually fruits & veg.). Conducting a self evaluation on what the next steps are and if its time to get going.

Working smarter to live longer, be safe.

You wont win in these Arkansas summers. We've been lucky lately, these 65 degree days in Late May have been Heaven. Supposed to be in the 90's this weekend. Welcome to to the Southern Summer Sauna!

I'll take my 90° - 100° temps and high humidity here in Mississippi in the sumer since that means I don't have to deal with that white stuff in the winter.

Latest posts

Back