waxed cardboard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am not not one to make fire starters or buy them far to cheap to buy . most of my fires start with junk mail.

but I grabbed some boxes at the grocery store to pack my groceries in , wife sent me the last few weeks and I take my truck and 12 bags of groceries are just a pain , I can slide the card board boxes in and out much easier and 4 boxes and I am done.

Dole Celery Boxes have been available and are a good size sturdy and are waxed . cut into strips really do make for nice fire starting better than standard cardboard strips.
just be careful not to use too much it gets hot.

it also cuts very easy the wax seems to lubricate the knife cutting through the card board.

well thats about all the more exciting my wood burning season has been the wood has been dry. the burning easy and generally uneventful.
cut and brought home 2 trailer loads of wood , big multi trunked maple that the power company took down below the wires first trailer load was all wood they left lay. the second was most of the rest of the tree. I have a few logs left to finish that tree.
everything I have brought home is split and stacked in the shed already
one or two more trailer loads will probably do for next year with what I already have put up.

some kindling and some strips of waxed cardboard . light and done , fire.

My main enterprise is selling vegetables, mostly wholesale, and mostly in those boxes. They're great fire starters! We reuse our boxes (with a new liner each time) until they aren't serviceable anymore, then I fill them with splitter scraps and stack them in our greenhouse. When winter comes I have a nice stash of kindling boxes that I can cut strips off for firestarter as I go.

it seems a lot of places have empty green houses come June , I wondered if any one has moved pallets of fire wood in to the otherwise empty green houses . I would think the heat would cook the moisture out of the wood in a hurry move a pallet back out and set next to the back door till the green house is empty come seed starting time.

There are green house people who cook there wood in green houses.

I used to be good friends with a Polaris snowmobile dealer up north. He gave me a lot of the wood from the shipping crates and the waxed card board that kept them dry when shipped on open flat beds as most were.

He use the stuff for fire starter in his shop and I did it in my garage.

:D Al

I get waxed cardboard boxes at the local market lots of fruits come in them . I dont use them for fire starters just storage boxes in the barn. Moisture resistant and bugs dont like it. I'm basically a one match guy fire never goes out unless I go away for a week or more. And I use noodles to start fires .

Back