"We need a log splitter"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered renting a splitter to have something to compare to?

Is there a Speeco owner that you could visit for a bit and see it firsthand?

If you want the TW and can afford it why not?

It's obvious that everyone here loves their splitter. They are mechanically pretty simple machines and if reasonably built and cared for will last a lifetime.

I bought my Brave 26 ton Horizontal/Vertical in 2003 new for $1,200. I process ten + cords a year for myself and giveaways, lend it out regularly for probably another ten plus cords of processing. The B&S engine still starts on the first or second pull and it has never failed to split anything. There was a recall on the cylinder and Brave quickly provided a new cylinder when I contacted them.

Thirty one years ago I was 39 years young. I did a lot of manual splitting and enjoyed the work/exercise. Most of this wood was in the 12" range. Then I had to clear a few acres of hundreds of standing 8" Sitka spruce. Rented a splitter for two days to do that work. The splitter made the whole project much more enjoyable. I still had plenty of exercise hauling, lifting, splitting and stacking all that wood.

My new Iron and Oak 26 ton horizontal/vertical splitter with 9 hp Honda electric start, log cradle and log dislodger will be here within the month. I am one happy camper. The only hand splitting I do now is small pieces of 2x material remaining after building my house. I use a 30 year old Plumb splitting hatchet with a large and heavy blade. It is the perfect tool for this job. I'd be lost without it.

My recommendation is to buy the splitter and encourage your father to use it a few times. Once used, he will claim it as his own and you will have to arm wrestle him to determine who uses it.

It is probable that your father already thinks you walk on water when you are not splitting. He will nominate you for sainthood after using your/his new splitter.

Best wishes with your decision.

John_M

Buy the splitter before your wife changes her mind, they have been known to do that on occasion:)

If you have boy scouting troops for free labor Id start a firewood business, you can take them out into the woods, cut and buck the wood and let them carry it to your truck for you. Of course you will tell them what types of wood they are carrying so it is a learning experience. No but seriously if I were you and had 3,000 dollars, Id get the best of both worlds. You can get a DECENT splitter aka a husky or spee co 25 ton splitter for 1500, and a 80-90 cc saw for 1500. Neither splitter will be "commercial grade", or real fast. For what you do though, its certainly better then doing it by hand. You really dont need to spend 3000 dollars on a splitter for waht you do. A spee co should do fine for the relativly small amount of wood you use.

I agree and even so those numbers seem high to me. A troy bilt 27 ton is around $1,100 and a Dolmar 7900 around $650. Also I second hitting up the old man for 1/3 of the cost, his projected use.

OK, what would YOU do? Let's assume, for the sake of argument, you've got the $3000 for a splitter.

Well, you're assuming $3,000 for a splitter. I got mine brand new for $1,200 with a 5.5 hp Honda engine rated at 27 ton, FWIW. I know it's not the best.

In 3 years I've split 120 cords with it and it keeps running with no problems to date. I change the air filter, engine oil and hydraulic fluid yearly.

TSC Splitter.

3 days ago I purchased a Speeco brand 22 Ton splitter from TSC. I've run 2 or 3 cords through it in the last two days.

IT IS WORTH EVERY DIME.

I have manually split for the last 2 years for my OWB and the tendons in my elbows have been sore every day for two years. If it wasn't for my elbows I may have continued to split but the amount of time and continuous pain was not worth it any longer.

I'm not sure if most people have tendon problems with a lot of splitting but it was so bad I used to dread splitting and it was turning into a chore (although I love heating with wood). Anyway, I can safely say the joy is back. I truly enjoyed splitting and stacking that wood the past two days.

The power/quality of the Speeco is more than fine. I'm doing some big wood and haven't had any problems. For fun, I muscled my chopping block up onto the splitter and it went through it no problem. Wow.

My advice would be to get the splitter and start enjoying wood again.

D

Like WetGunPowder said buy a TIMBERWOLF........... where in Vermont are you? I see you splitting for a OWB I have a 9 hp 36" split Timberwolf TW2-36 in stock you could get for less than 3K or a TWP1 24" for $2095

Scott

Scott,

I'm just over the border in Shaftsbury. I'll be coming to the GTG at your place in May, already marked the date, and I want to look at what you have and maybe get a demonstration.

Scott,

I'm just over the border in Shaftsbury. I'll be coming to the GTG at your place in May, already marked the date, and I want to look at what you have and maybe get a demonstration.

Cool, Looking forward to meeting you. Timberwolf representatives will be here for the GTG as well

Scott

I have a neighbor that splits wood commercially. He has a couple of those small splitters with a 2stage pump and a honda engine. Has replace the engines once or twice. I have seen them wrestling the blocks around and unless they are small enough to pick up and put in I can see the back going out sooner or later.

I went over with mine I built about 25 yr ago and split some of the ones he couldn't budge. His son was wide- eyed seeing a splitter that could pick a 5ft dia block and turn it into firewood in a couple of minutes.
Just finished up almost 50cord. Had two 20 something yr olds offbearing, was fun to work theyre backside off keeping up with it. We were going through about 2cord an hr. I know this is a lot more splitter than most folks would ever need, but we do get some fairsize wood to split up here and not having to roll or scoot wood into a splitter sure makes a difference, and it has the power to shear through the knotiest wood.

Wood splitter

I've thought about getting a splitter but then I think that I do a lot of my splitting on site and I don't really want to be dragging a splitter around, not to mention finding a place to store it and maintaining it. I keep telling myself I enjoy the excercise of splitting by hand.

I'm 53 now and it gets easier every year. LOL

Now if a good one comes along pretty cheap I might change my mind.

I have a neighbor that splits wood commercially. He has a couple of those small splitters with a 2stage pump and a honda engine. Has replace the engines once or twice. I have seen them wrestling the blocks around and unless they are small enough to pick up and put in I can see the back going out sooner or later.

I went over with mine I built about 25 yr ago and split some of the ones he couldn't budge. His son was wide- eyed seeing a splitter that could pick a 5ft dia block and turn it into firewood in a couple of minutes.
Just finished up almost 50cord. Had two 20 something yr olds offbearing, was fun to work theyre backside off keeping up with it. We were going through about 2cord an hr. I know this is a lot more splitter than most folks would ever need, but we do get some fairsize wood to split up here and not having to roll or scoot wood into a splitter sure makes a difference, and it has the power to shear through the knotiest wood.

A friend from Maine has a cord king. They don't get better or faster than that. 4 second cycle time producing up to 7 cord an hour.
Cost: $110,000:jawdrop:

I really like my NT 30 ton with 5.5 Honda- its built well and priced about 1700.00. NT has a 10% off sale in the Spring and Fall-everything in the store.

i told my wife that jon got one so she let me buy one today . i only kut and split about 12 to 15 cords a year so i wasnt going to put a bunch of money in one . im also 53 , but i cant relax and split wood , seems i have to go at it like killing snakes with a hoe . then i dont last long . i bought the husky 22 ton . now it just needs to dry out enough here to use it . hoot

Latest posts

Back