We took our last walk yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rest in peace friend - AMEN.

My avatar is homage to a "house panther" I lost almost two decades ago. Various version of his name are still my passwords on most websites. He basically hated everyone except me. I still think of him daily - more than my ex-wife of 20 years. Funny that.

Every one that has shared their life with their wood cutting buddy has a favorite story. It has been awhile that my last buddy has moved on , but fondest memories still persist. We shared some interesting moments. What is your favorite? In a day or two will share mine. Thanks

Here's a pic of a big job we tackled together. I'm sure she would have helped me load all that would if she were able to. Duchess spent most of here time hunting mice and other critters close to where I would be cutting.

On one outing her and Sammy disappeared. When I finished cutting and returned to the truck to swap out saws there were gone without a trace. This is NOT typical of them because they never stray more than a few yards away and always right there when I take breaks and go back to the truck. I started looking around and expanding the search area, then I heard some very faint barking. I zeroed in on the direction and found that the had went up inside a hollow Beech log and were fighting with something. Fearing it was a big Raccoon and they would be in trouble I raced back to the truck to retrieve a saw. I made a very careful and calculated cut and removed a pretty big piece of the log about the size of a door you'd find on a kitchen cabinet. Luckily my calculations were spot on and I had came in just behind them by a couple of feet. I was able to reach in and grab them and pull them out of the log. I kept them back while I made another cut closer to the critter they were fighting with and it turned out to be a ground hog instead of a raccoon. They had pretty much ripped him to shreds and there wasn't any fight left in him. I dispatched him with my S & W 38 that I carry all the time, and we went back to work.......Cliff

IMG_0791.JPG

Back