ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Weber gas grill or Char Broil infrared one?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by PA. Woodsman, May 28, 2019.

1. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Addicted to ArboristSite

About 6 years ago when my in laws moved my father in law gave us his nice, good size Weber grill which I really like using but the metal plates inside it have been burned pretty badly and would need replacing which I can do but it might add up in price. He passed away late December as I posted on here and one of the things he made sure he did before he passed was to tell me to take the grill he had which actually we bought for him when he moved as a housewarming gift and it is a smaller Char Broil Infrared grill which I used for the first time yesterday. It obviously is in better shape than the Weber but it is going to take some time to get used to using it, the Infrared cooking technology cooks differently than other grills and I think I would need to back down on the heat if I continue to use it which I'm sure I would be able to adapt to with more practice. But I was wondering if any of you all use an Infrared grill and what your thoughts are on it? I probably could even just scrap the Weber and buy a new one if I want to go that route, I'd have to see if the parts to fix it would be close to buying a whole new grill and if so it wouldn't be worth it!

Anyone use Char Broil Infrared?

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. bear1998

bear1998 ArboristSite Operative

Never used an infared grill..but...ill give ya my 2 cents on the weber...
    First of all...for us...its the best grill that we ever had ! I just put my 49 th refilled bottle in last week...bought it in 2010. Replaced the porcelain flavor bars n the stainless drip pan once. Changed the batteries for ignitor once. If we get another grill...itll definetly be a Weber.
    Theres some changes on the new ones that i like...but ..as long as i can get satifactory results out of the one we have now...we'll keep it...

3. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

I cook mainly outside either on an old weber genesis from the 90’s or a Big green egg. I have never used an infra grill so I can’t help you with that but I have rebuilt my weber and others numerous times. Weber usually makes a good grill. New ones can run a pretty penny.

What’s up with the weber?? You should be able to get the grates, flavorizer bars and burners without a problem. On mine, the tub was aluminum, so it’s still fine. Burners were stainless so they are also still fine. I replaced the original porcelain coated grates and flavorizers with stainless years ago, made some new tables/trays out of trex and I rebuild sections of the frame with some square stock. I have also salvaged numerous weber spirit/genesis grills (of the same ilk) off the side of the road and rebuilt them. I believe I have done 5 in total and all are still going strong.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/customer-support/weber-29344.html

Once you figure out what parts you need/get the number, check ebay. You may find them cheaper. You could always keep both. A backup is never a bad idea.

SeMoTony, bear1998 and PA. Woodsman like this.
  4. Customtaco

Customtaco ArboristSite Lurker

Buy the weber. They are better made and will hold up alot longer. I've used both and hands down the webers are better grills.

SeMoTony and PA. Woodsman like this.
  5. PA. Woodsman

It would be "rebuild" the Weber as the plates inside are pretty shot from the heat but I know I can buy them online.

Another thing with this Weber is I can't swap out the tank, it is a different kind of tank attachment so I can't switch out with Blue Rhino or whatever I have to get this one refilled and keep it which doesn't seem like an issue so far.

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. Plan-b

Plan-b ArboristSite Operative

Call the customer service hotline, I think that stuff from weber has a 10 year warranty.

The fire box on mine is 25 years they told me.

I did the same not too long ago and they sent me some new parts.

7. avason

avason Addicted to ArboristSite

Don't know much about the infrared red but I’ll lay out my grilling from the last year. I bought a black stone grill last summer because my Weber was going. I didn’t want to spend the money on the flavor bars and I wanted to change it up a little bit. But back to the Weber. Everything was great on it except the flavor plates so I had a hard time getting rid of it. I ended up buying some expandable metal and converted it to a charcoal grill (easy peesy). I grilled with it 3 times in the last week while my black stone sat. Maybe you can convert the Weber and keep the other grill? I have enough room on my deck so it’s not a big deal. I’ve cooked burgers, chicken breast, dogs and sword fish Cabobs this week on the conversion grill and it was mighty tasty. People say that charcoal is an inconvenience but with a charcoal chimney, it may take an extra 8 minutes to get cooking. Just my two pesos. Good luck! Either way you have a plan.

8. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

Weber, for a while, used a quick disconnect that look like something you find on an air hose. I think Ducane also used them. The industry has moved away from them to the outside thread with big black knob. You can buy a converter for the tank or (in my opinion the better solution) a new regulator with the more modern connection. An aftermarket regulator is about $15 bucks and a genuine weber is about $30. It takes about 5 min to install including opening a beer (or 2). You will also need a new tank with the new connection. A new tank is about $40 filled with the disposal fee. Propane tanks have a shelf life of 10 years. Once they expire, you can have trouble getting them refilled. I would not trade a “new” tank for anything Blue Rino unless getting refills in your area is a problem. You could end up with an old tank that cannot be refilled.

9. avason

avason Addicted to ArboristSite

This video gives you the low down on the charbroil...I like it!

SeMoTony, aaron and PA. Woodsman like this.
  10. aaron

aaron ArboristSite Member

I have the Charbroil infrared and it's been great. Had it for 3 yrs now I believe. No flareups is awesome.

11. PA. Woodsman

I'm anxious to give it another try, I think I have to turn the heat down on it a bit and get used to it and that might take awhile but I certainly am going to try cooking different things on it too.

SeMoTony likes this.
  12. RiverLogger

RiverLogger ArboristSite Operative

I have the infrared and hate it. We eat a lot of chicken and my wife likes her sauce put on the meat during the cooking process. The tiny holes in the grates don’t allow anything to drain or fall through leaving a residue on top of the grates that you can’t get rid of without taking the grates off. If you don’t use sauces they’re a little better but still build up over time. It is great for no flare ups though.

13. PA. Woodsman

Based on this I think I also will have issues with sauce on chicken, thanks for the info so I know ahead of time that I MIGHT be disappointed! I'll give it a try first though!

SeMoTony likes this.
  14. cuinrearview

cuinrearview Red saw lover

K.I.S.S.
    weber_original_kettle_22-56a072193df78cafdaa1b67e.jpg

scottr, SeMoTony and bubmiller like this.
  15. PA. Woodsman

He didn't give me one of those, that's not one of my two choices!

SeMoTony and cuinrearview like this.
  16. cuinrearview

cuinrearview Red saw lover

I apologize. I couldn't help myself:D

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  17. PA. Woodsman

Made some hamburgers on the Char Broil yesterday, low fat ones yet it still smoked like crazy and I even had it on low. They tasted good but the darn thing was like a smoke machine!! I'll try it again, maybe turn the heat down lower faster this time, maybe that will help; I thought this one was not supposed to smoke because of it's design?

SeMoTony likes this.
  18. aaron

aaron ArboristSite Member

The smoke is from grease being vaporized

PA. Woodsman likes this.
  19. PA. Woodsman

It was like a smoke machine, really heavy clouds!

20. RiverLogger

RiverLogger ArboristSite Operative

My infrared is now in its new and best home. The dump!!! Just cooked the first meal on my new normal grate bbq, Chicken drumsticks, and it’s great. No buildup of sauce on the grate and no smoke show.

PA. Woodsman likes this.