Wedge Profiles and Names

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How Do You Define These Wedges?

• 'A' is single taper; 'B' is double taper; 'C' is ?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 'B' is single taper; 'C' is double taper: 'A' is ?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Something else (please describe in a thread comment)

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have heard different definitions for 'single taper wedge' and 'double taper wedge', along with 'single lift' and 'double lift' felling wedges.

To add to the confusion, 'Double Taper' is the brand name for a line of plastic wedges, so ALL of their wedges are 'Double Taper wedges'!

Which wedges in the illustration below do you call 'single taper' and which do you call 'double taper'? I am assuming that wedge 'D' would be a 'triple taper' or 'double lift' for felling?

Wedge Shapes.png

Philbert

Just to clarify, from top to bottom, in the field I'd call them "the fancy wedge", "the one with a bevel on both sides", "the one with a bevel on one side", and "the one without bevels". For my answers, the first name is what I'd call them, the second is Philbert's name.
A. Plain wedge/Single taper
B. Single bevel wedge/Single lift
C. Double beveled wedge/Double taper
D. Multi beveled wedge/Double lift

D is the only double taper double lift wedge of the bunch all the rest are single taper single lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't read the thread yet other than just enough to catch the format. Above the first post.

Diagrams of:
D) is most certainly "a lift and a half"/ single taper
C) is a double taper wedge/ bucking wedge?
B )single taper felling wedge.
A) I believe they call that a triangle in trigonometry. .. lol
I call that a wooden wedge. (A throw away)

I did an internet search and found a PDF file at Madden's a piece of a catalog, double taper is a trademarked term or word. You call it brand name which seems true in this instance.

There is similar discussion on 3 forums at this time.

For a poll why not start with the top one,. It has a flat, a square head end and two % lift or grade if it was a hill. A modified tip as well. Ignoring the trademark, how many taper?

Calling the feature at the point a bevel seems sensible to me.

I have heard different definitions for 'single taper wedge' and 'double taper wedge', along with 'single lift' and 'double lift' felling wedges.

To add to the confusion, 'Double Taper' is the brand name for a line of plastic wedges, so ALL of their wedges are 'Double Taper wedges'!

Which wedges in the illustration below do you call 'single taper' and which do you call 'double taper'? I am assuming that wedge 'D' would be a 'triple taper' or 'double lift' for felling?

View attachment 870563

Philbert

WEDGIE!!!

1 wedgie.png1 wedgie 2.png

I am assuming that wedge 'D' would be a 'triple taper' or 'double lift' for felling?

View attachment 870563

Philbert
That is what the manufacturers are calling it these days. I believe they used to count the taper from both sides back when they started making them taper from both sides. for bucking purposes. It seems they are not anymore as they refer to the riffled wedge as a single taper as they don't have a bevel.
All the bevelled wedges are referred to as double taper wedges apart from the "double lift"/ "lift and a half"
The only discussions that I ever heard about 'tapers' was in Gas & Oil (Seismic)
The QST's (Qualified Supervisor Trainers) would do equipment audits before and during the jobs. They always referred to the bevel(s) as double or single taper.
They wanted you to carry a minimum of three wedges and one being double bevelled. They often pointed it out to me in the early days of certifications as I never had a use for a double beveled wedge? I used the 10" k&h with one 12" and set them from the side on small dia. The single slight advantage of a double beveled wedge or broken/cut leading edge that I could think of would be if you don't have experience wedging from the side on small dia and you are pinched with little room to get it to lift before it hits your chain.
I just don't see a use for them.
As pointed out it does appear the manufacturers are also calling the bevel a taper, so... how would they describe the double bevel????

I looked and BC faller's training standards and WorkSafe BC both make a small reference to 'double taper' wedges.
It probably goes back a long ways with WorkSafe BC

WorkSafe BC said: don't start out with a thick wedge i.e. ,double taper wedge as you may force the tree off the holding wood..
Basically they are saying work your way up from 1" - 1 1/4 - 1 3/8.
BCFSC field exam said:
Go to a double taper wedge or double up with two.
I don't use those wedges. You lose your advantage. You would never see anyone use them on the BC coast. Everboby just calls them a "double lift" wedge due to the two angles. In terms of height I call them a "lift and a half"

Apart from G&O, it seems industry does not count the bevel as what @Skeans is saying.
G&O and the manufacturers should have just called it a bevel.
Manufacturers seem to find ways to confuse things like calling skip chain "full skip"

Back