Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This has been mentioned in a few threads on wedges - here are some 'Before' and 'After' photos (hope you can tell which are which!).

Plastic bucking / felling wedges are 'consumables', and in a sense sacrificial, but no need to waste them if they can be brought back to serviceable life. This group had accumulated in the 'what do we do with these?' box of a storm clean up group that I volunteer with:

IMG_5319.jpg
IMG_5320.jpg

A few minutes with this:

IMG_5322.jpg

Provided this:

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

Philbert

Some folks need long, full-length wedges for falling large trees. I mostly use mine for keeping the kerf open when bucking, so even smaller, odd shaped ones are handy to carry in a pocket.

- I cut the damaged tips off with a bandsaw (hacksaw, or any fine tooth saw would work);
- Form a new bevel / taper with the belt sander, and re-shape any damaged parts;
- Cut off any 'fuzz' that forms with a sharp utility knife - the thermoplastic wedge material gets soft (and hot!) when sanded;
- Square the end with the disc sander;
- ***Form the final edge bevel by sanding into the wedge***. The thermoplastic material will melt back into a smooth, solid bevel, instead of forming a goopy, fuzzy, soft mess at the end.

Philbert

I bet that sandpaper wheel is good for bar maintenance too, I'd love one in my shed.
It would work with the right sandpaper. But this one is in my wood shop, and sparks and sawdust don't behave well together!
If you picked up a small, used, table saw, you could fit it with a sanding disc and grind bars somewhere where there would not be a fire hazard.

Philbert

You are just full of good idea's,would of never thought about a table saw with a disc on it.
Using a table saw as a disc sander goes back many years. Sears and many other companies offered sanding discs as standard accessories, and many guys have made them out of plywood. These could be used for renewing wedges, as well as a portable belt sander, mounted upside down in some type of stand.

But, again, if used for metal, they must be cleaned of any sawdust, and not connected to a dust collection system for wood. That is is why I suggested a small, used, table saw that could be carried outside, or placed in a metal shop. Re: bar grinding @CR888, I also remembered this post from a few years back:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/another-way-to-dress-a-bar.250111/

Philbert

I'm happy to see I ain't the only one that hits em with the chain.
Not me!

Seriously, these were from a felling class this weekend, and I wasn't holding a saw. 'Reconditioned' 26 wedges - most of them twice! Coarse (60 to 80 grit) belt seems to works good. Adjustable speed belt sander is a plus for plastic.

But, I suppose that there have been times that I might have nicked one, or sent it flying!.

Philbert

Not me!

Seriously, these were from a felling class this weekend, and I wasn't holding a saw. 'Reconditioned' 26 wedges - most of them twice! Coarse (60 to 80 grit) belt seems to works good. Adjustable speed belt sander is a plus for plastic.

But, I suppose that there have been times that I might have nicked one, or sent it flying!.

Philbert
I cleaned up four of em a few days ago. Put a new edge on. couple I tossed cause they were too far gone.

I have since been advised not to do this indoors, due to the plastic fumes. It does stink up my basement for a while.
So I have moved outside, and added an N-95 respirator/mask. No smell.

It's very portable; like my own, personal, wedge M*A*S*H uni Philbert

Philbert I honestly do not know how well plastic wedges work. I have used them from time to time, but have never put a priority to carrying them around unless I have large amount to falling to do. When I anticipate some falling or possible need for wedges I make 20 or 30 and leave them every where. Pine limbs or Oak limbs make great wedges. I have had as many as 6 wedges with me for a larger tree and discovered that they were not enough so had to make some anyway. When I have a tree that really needs help I want to completely fill the back cut with wedges which can take many to do so. Thanks

Back