Wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I am slow. Took me over 30 years to learn this. In the past, when my wedges got too mushroomed (way past where they should have been) I would pay a shop to grind them down. Was working on my wood pile the other day and decided to try a disc grinder. Shopped around a couple pawn shops - too high $37 was cheapest. Found a B&D 4 1/2" at Wall Mart for $25.

Was totally amazed at how fast that homeowner special cleaned them up. Why didn't I buy one years ago!?

Harry K

This comes under the "Hold my beer and watch this" heading, but I like to move metel.

When you start to put 7" wheels on a 11,000 rpm angle grinders your cooking with gas!

Heavy padded welding gloves shatter proff shields and never be in-line with the wheel is a huge start.

Kevin

Edit:

If I may add, I use a lot of grinders, I picked up a GMC, blue thing,from Home depot, variable-speed and love the thing! Cheepest thing on the rack, handy as fingers. Some horses will let me use it on there hoofs.

You might want to pick up a few of those flapper disc,,, dont know the real name for them, but the ones with sand-paper like fish scales, to pick a grit, get half of what you would want for a finsh. (eg: a 60 grit will give a 120 like finsh)

Last edited:
On 98% of my tools I want the best, snap-on, husqvarna, dewalt, ford, but I bought two 4 1/2 in side grinders and one 7 in from some tool truckload sale. No name I'd heard of. The 2 small ones were $16.99 & the 7inch was $34.99. They all came with cut-off wheels, wire brushes & a few sanding disc. I use 'em alot & one of the 4 1/2 in grinders is still in the box. That's been almost 3 years ago. When they do let me down I'm going to try to fine some even cheaper.

But as said already, wear your safety goggles/glasses/sheilds or don't even turn it on. I got a piece of metal in my eye while I was wearing safety glasses. My ole doctor got it out no problem, but while he was pickin' on it I could hear it tinkin' or pingin' or something & that just ain't no fun.

:greenchainsaw:
ShoerFast said:
This comes under the "Hold my beer and watch this" heading, but I like to move metel.

When you start to put 7" wheels on a 11,000 rpm angle grinders your cooking with gas!

Heavy padded welding gloves shatter proff shields and never be in-line with the wheel is a huge start.

Kevin

Edit:

If I may add, I use a lot of grinders, I picked up a GMC, blue thing,from Home depot, variable-speed and love the thing! Cheepest thing on the rack, handy as fingers. Some horses will let me use it on there hoofs.

You might want to pick up a few of those flapper disc,,, dont know the real name for them, but the ones with sand-paper like fish scales, to pick a grit, get half of what you would want for a finsh. (eg: a 60 grit will give a 120 like finsh)
The discs are called flap-discs.I use them every day.you are right about the finish.24 grit wil really move some material.

Back when I was still working in a equipment manufacturing shop I had a close call with a big angle grinder. Had a wire wheel on it (well used). It snagged my coveralls, stripped them off an just barely scratched the skin on my abdomen. I was scared to look figuring I had cut myself wide open.

Harry K

Careful with these things. A friend of mine has a good sized scar across the belly, wheel on an angle grinder came apart and went right through a set of winter coveralls.............

great tools though!

Latest posts

Back