Weight of a Bandit 90 chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold Coast Shipping

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone here comment on the weight of an older Bandit 90 chipper?

The one I'm considering is a 2004, with a JD 4045 non-turbo diesel (~90hp?). The Bandit website says 4800lbs for the current model.

I'm worried about it being too heavy for my truck (Hino FB 1817) to pull, since with the box full of chips its GVW is around 18000lbs. It has a small diesel in it, 168hp/368ft-lbs. It's fairly hilly around here, and the truck is already pretty slow pulling a gas 65XL when the box is full.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

We have a '99 model 90 with a ~70 hp gas engine on it. Believe it is right around 3700 lbs.

If your truck is already underpowered pulling that model 65, you're probably pushing your luck upping your chipper size/weight.

Thanks very much for the input, Ben.

To haul more chips, or more chipper... That is the question!

I'm sure it depends on the day, depends on the jobs, but the actual weight numbers make it easier to answer the question - Thanks.

We have a '99 model 90 with a ~70 hp gas engine on it. Believe it is right around 3700 lbs.

If your truck is already underpowered pulling that model 65, you're probably pushing your luck upping your chipper size/weight.
A little bit off topic but how's that 90 with the gasser working for you? Is it the Ford 4cyl ? Looking at one similar right now

A little bit off topic but how's that 90 with the gasser working for you? Is it the Ford 4cyl ? Looking at one similar right now

Yes, it had the ford 4cyl on it. It's a good reliable motor. Just keep the oil clean, and make sure to blow the debris out of the radiator periodically. Also on that motor,the governor should have the oil changed too. We recently put a deutz diesel on the chipper instead, not any problems work the Ford, but came across a great deal on the deutz, and the added benefit of every other piece of equipment being diesel.
The chipper itself is great.

Back