Weird bar problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 149229

Just purchased a used 20" Oregon Powermatch bar for an 039 I just purchased. Bar was ground to clean it up when I bought it, visually rails appeared good. When I ran the saw I a 12" cherry it would cut about half way then just grab/stop. Put the old Stihl bar on and no problem. Put the Oregon bar on and same thing, grab/stop. Stihl bar again, no problem. The second time I took the Oregon bar off I noticed a substantial amount of wood between the chain and the bar. No, I don't have the bar number here, it's out in the shed. My 2 areas to check tomorrow are 1) is the bar a .050. 2) use a square to check rail perpendicularity. Am I missing something obvious?

...any burring along the outer rail edges? Also, check for deformation (especially a vertical deformation can be very difficult to notice at times).

As to the original question, does the bar have the correct sprocket tip? Is the sprocket bearing in good shape? Any sand or crud jammed into the end of the bar that might jam the sprocket?

You're a hack - admit it already!

Thanks for the compliment. The sprocket spins freely, I grease before every use, assuming it's the correct tip because shows no sign of being replaced. Since Blount/Oregon changed their website I'm not sure if in can match my bar #'s to their recommendation.

Supposed to rain here tomorrow so I'm going to check if the bar is a .050, then check perpendicularity. Then try to decider the new Oregon charts. Will update if I figure anything out. Any suggestions on the problem are welcome.

From the bar problems I have encountered so far:
If the cutting stops with the chain moving and just entering the wood the culprit usually is the chain (dull on one side), a worn-out rail groove, a wrong bar/chain combination (too wide groove for the chain) or burring along the lower rail.
If the cutting stops half way through the bar/log height it usually is a bar-out-of shape (deformation)/burring along the upper rail problem.

I have also had one case where the chain was narrower than the bar width...

From the bar problems I have encountered so far:
If the cutting stops with the chain moving and just entering the wood the culprit usually is the chain (dull on one side), a worn-out rail groove, a wrong bar/chain combination (too wide groove for the chain) or burring along the lower rail.
If the cutting stops half way through the bar/log height it usually is a bar-out-of shape (deformation)/burring along the upper rail problem.

I'll check entire bar with a square. Definitely a half way problem. When it stopped it was instantaneous. Doubt chain because when I put it back on the old Stihl bar there was no problem.

No burr detected on either rail so I'll have to look for some type of deformity. Thanks.

When you have a look at it tomorrow, adjust the chain to proper tension then spin the chain around by hand a few times and see if it does anything it shouldn't - like binding or riding up out of the rails or sprockets.

When you have a look at it tomorrow, adjust the chain to proper tension then spin the chain around by hand a few times and see if it does anything it shouldn't - like binding or riding up out of the rails or sprockets.

When I install a chain I spin it by hand before running, the first time I spun it it was out of the rail. Thought it was just a screw up on my part. What would cause this?

Back