Weird bar problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dahmer! What's with all the trannies showing up on your thread?? Glad you solved the bar issues so we can divert our attention to other less "liberal" topics on the "chainsaw" forum.

Hey Dahmer! What's with all the trannies showing up on your thread?? Glad you solved the bar issues so we can divert our attention to other less "liberal" topics on the "chainsaw" forum.

I'm a freakin magnet for candidates for Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Wife isn't happy about the new bar and chains. She has to change from #1 choice to #2 choice when I do the back splash in the new kitchen. Obviously, #2 choice will cost just over $100 bucks less than#1 choice. Amazing, just about the price of a new Stihl bar and chains.

Sounds like the bar was trying to cut a curve. Can you wobble the chain in the groove side to side? Could be that the groove is worn.

Philbert

Checked groove width using feeler gauge, definitely not oversized.

I think what Philbert was getting at is the groove can be wider below the bearing surface thus the chain can lean to one side despite the distance between the bearing surfaces being with in acceptable tolerances.

Easiest way to check is put the chain in the groove and see how far you can make it lean.

Ron

I think what Philbert was getting at is the groove can be wider below the bearing surface thus the chain can lean to one side despite the distance between the bearing surfaces being with in acceptable tolerances.

Easiest way to check is put the chain in the groove and see how far you can make it lean.

Ron

My fault, never thought of that. Thanks. I will check that because I'm curious why I had trouble. HOWEVER, new bar should take care of the problem.

With you on the new bar. I dress and square my bars fairly regularly but have discovered that I have several that allow the chain to lean to one side so much that the bar rail is exposed beyond the chain. Very similar effect as a mushroomed bar. Mine all lean the same way. Don't know if it is just the operator or poor sharpening that causes it. I am not very good at either.

Ron

Maybe a few burr on the chain drivers. Only takes 2 or three. Older may be worn enough to not notice. Just a thought. Try your new chain on the Oregon bar see if problem is still there.

Ron
I agree. I've seen the top of the bar groove feel tight but down at the bottom of the groove is way too wide and allows the chain to move side-to-side. Time for a new bar.

Back