Weird Husqvarna X-torq problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a nice looking 2013 Husqvarna 545. It seems to have some compression but it sounds kinda like some air is escaping somewhere on the flywheel side of the cylinder towards the back of the cylinder. This happens when I pull it over. I have never experienced something like that. Has anyone experienced something like this on a 545?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where the leak is but I pulled muffler and the piston is scored.

Maybe what you're hearing is blow-by with pressurised air leaking past the ring into the crankcase. If the piston is scored, there's probably no reason to even look for the leak, since it's already going. I'd pull off the top end and look at the damage. If there is a blown gasket, there will probably be some discoloration at the spot it's leaking and some oil residue on the case. If the case is dusty, the leak can actually blow the dust off. The seals on the flywheel side are more difficult to check since you have to pull off the starter assembly and the flywheel.

Maybe what you're hearing is blow-by with pressurised air leaking past the ring into the crankcase. If the piston is scored, there's probably no reason to even look for the leak, since it's already going. I'd pull off the top end and look at the damage. If there is a blown gasket, there will probably be some discoloration at the spot it's leaking and some oil residue on the case. If the case is dusty, the leak can actually blow the dust off. The seals on the flywheel side are more difficult to check since you have to pull off the starter assembly and the flywheel.

Thanks for the information, right now I do not have another top end for it. I have never had any luck cleaning up serious transfer. If I do fix it, I will definitely find the leak. Thanks.

Thanks for the information, right now I do not have another top end for it. I have never had any luck cleaning up serious transfer. If I do fix it, I will definitely find the leak. Thanks.

I've heard some guys use muriatic acid to clean up transfer, but I've never tried it myself. If there's the slightest gap in the coating, the acid will eat the aluminum underneath as well. We have a couple of shops around here that will hone and replate the cylinder if necessary for a fraction of the cost of a new one. It's crazy how much manufacturers want to charge for a new top end. Makes a lot of saws disposable.

I've heard some guys use muriatic acid to clean up transfer, but I've never tried it myself. If there's the slightest gap in the coating, the acid will eat the aluminum underneath as well. We have a couple of shops around here that will hone and replate the cylinder if necessary for a fraction of the cost of a new one. It's crazy how much manufacturers want to charge for a new top end. Makes a lot of saws disposable.

Usually when I get the transfer off there is at least one scratch that renders the top end useless. A new top end kit is $220. And then I still would have to find the leak that caused the scored piston. I have plenty of saws in the 50cc class. This the first auto-tune saw I’ve had. It was already blown up when I got it.

Usually when I get the transfer off there is at least one scratch that renders the top end useless. A new top end kit is $220. And then I still would have to find the leak that caused the scored piston. I have plenty of saws in the 50cc class. This the first auto-tune saw I’ve had. It was already blown up when I got it.

There's cenrtainly some interesting wizardry going on with Auto-Tune, got a chance to use a 562XP for a bit this year. I think the self-adjustment could be a problem though. On a conventional saw when the carb adjustment is off all of a sudden, you know there's something fishy going on and start looking for the cause. The Auto-Tune though will keep readjusting until she drops dead leaving you wondering how it happened.

Back