ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Weirdness in the Woods

TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
So there I was splitting timber in the cold as you do on a Monday morning.
I was working my way through a big pile of beech left behind by the forestry.
They had stacked it up nicely along the side of the road.
This "road" can barely be called accessible. It's not on any maps, it's literally a track built by the forestry so they could access the timber without having to load logs onto lorries on the side of a real road. Made from 6 inch down this track is not for the feint hearted. The low side slopes off into the drain and the high side is full of pot holes. You can only really drive down it comfortably with 4 wheel drive.
Anyways, as I was working away a police car came trundling down said road at about 5 MPH, all they could manage in a ford focus on such an uneven surface.
This is a road NO ONE uses. There is NO other traffic at all and the forestry only use it twice a day at 6 in the morning and again at 11.
Anyways, the cops just passed by and waved.
Maybe they were lost. Maybe they had been called to something, sorted it out or found nothing to sort out and needed to kill half an hour. Maybe they were just dossing. The two cops in the car were a man and a woman so maybe they were looking for somewhere quiet for some workplace fornication. IDK.
Thee only other option is a dog walker saw the road was blocked by us loading split logs into a link box on a Massey 35 and thought it was worth calling the police to get us to move. Like they couldn't just walk past or like we wouldn't have moved if they asked. But I would be surprised if this was the reason the guards came at all, especially since they didnt stop.
This was our set up:

IMG_0254.JPG IMG_0257.JPG

Anyways, post your strange or eventful encounters in the woods.
@Huskybill

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
When I was on a fire crew, we were out doing some project work, making a hiking trail. Just before lunch, a teenager comes wandering out of the woods. I guess they had an outdoor graduation party, and he passed out in the woods. Must have been walking for a few hours in the wrong direction.

We were dicks about it...we told him that we weren't allowed to take passengers in government vehicles (which is true) and told him that we'd radio the forestry office to have the RCMP come and pick him up at the trailhead.

TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Okay, here is another one from today.
Still working in the same place.
Cleaning up the hardwoods left along the side of the road.
Felled some small ash trees, some went into the forestry, others went across the road.
It's a tiny, badly maintained road that NO ONE uses (as previously mentioned) so I just felled the trees whichever way they wanted to go.
Anyway, me and another man were working away when an acquaintance of mine who lives near by came walking along.
"that's not your land, you shouldnt be cutting there"
He kept going on and on about how we were cutting timber on someone else's land. I tried to explain to him that yes, some of the trees landed with their tops (only 30 foot trees) across the road on someone else's patch of forestry but they had been growing on the OTHER side of the damn road and we were not causing any damage.
He refused to believe me, even after I showed him the stumps.
Nothing could change his mind, we were in the wrong. I even offered him some timber, not to try and apologize to him but because there was so much of it.
No, he was just in a foul mood.
He then walked off, saw our other logs and proclaimed "I mean, you already have tonnes"

Jealous little ****

Pic related is the logs, the "tonnes".

IMG_0259.JPG