Well then

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never fails, when you cant afford the downtime, you get it anyway. That's the point he's makin fellas. And it sure is hard ta find good help these days.

Yup. Though it's not really something that effects my wallet, compared to let's say my processor breaking down, BUT it's another line on the to do list, one that never seems to get much shorter!

I would cut off 1/2 in of the beam, grind off the foot clean, re weld and go burn brain cells splitting....

Was a thought too, but I'd need to cut about 2" off. I'd need to see if the wedge will clear. Then d have to add some blocks so it'll still sit on the ground when tilted up.

I'll figure something out, it's nothing overly complicated.

Got back to the shop this evening (been logging all day for the last couple weeks, trying to beat breakup on a ~160 acre clearing job we are working on).

Anyhow, had a customer come to pickup wood. While I was waiting for them to load, I fired up the ~25yr old Iron and Oak and busted up some chunks of wood for the shop stove.
The chunks are stuff we had laying around for a year or three, stuff that was too big or knarly to fit in the processor and really too knarly to pass off to anyone.
I setup the splitter vertical and have been chewing this stuff a little bit here and there. The idea behind me clearing up the yard was to have some wood/get rid of this stuff and have some work for the hired hand. Well... he's been a no show since I set it up.

It was fighting through a piece of wood and I heard a pop. I thought it was the wood splitting open until the wedge went down but the wood didn't split any further. Figured it had slipped off the base so I retracted it to reposition.

Hmmm. Like I really need something else to work on. :nofunny:
?? so valley, wouldn't your post title be more correct to be "weld on then " instead of "well"(ed -on) "then"....? just curious.....

Yea I like the suggestion to pull it back with a chain to the backside of wedge, lay a few beads down and add a gusset. It aint your main one anyway. Heck a half hour you got a lot done. If it lasted this long. A quick fix will get you by

Son of a gun eh? I hate those loud 'Bangs".
Like said, it probably was cracking over time, but completely fixable.
If you're planning to bend it back before welding it again, then heat that remaining attached bottom flange with a torch before you bend it back.
It'll make it easier to bend back.
Just have the welder set up and ready to tack a few spots at the top to hold it all together prior to welding it permanent and small gusset stiffeners wouldn't hurt.
Oh ya, and clean it up real good first too of course (no wood, grease or paint on or near the weld area).
Not telling you what to do, just an idea from a welder.
Show us all the result as you now have our interest.

Son of a gun eh? I hate those loud 'Bangs".
Like said, it probably was cracking over time, but completely fixable.
If you're planning to bend it back before welding it again, then heat that remaining attached bottom flange with a torch before you bend it back.
It'll make it easier to bend back.
Just have the welder set up and ready to tack a few spots at the top to hold it all together prior to welding it permanent and small gusset stiffeners wouldn't hurt.
Oh ya, and clean it up real good first too of course (no wood, grease or paint on or near the weld area).
Not telling you what to do, just an idea from a welder.
Show us all the result as you now have our interest.

Might be only this winter if I get a chance. It's kicked off in the rubarb now.

Latest posts

Back