Went to pick up new saw, came home with a second

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm waiting for the new Ram HD to come out... maybe 2020? Just hoping the whole damn thing ain't made of aluminum.. :omg:

I'm waiting for the new Ram HD to come out... maybe 2020? Just hoping the whole damn thing ain't made of aluminum.. :omg:

If the past is any indicator then yea I'd expect the Ram 2500/3500 to get the redesign in 2020. The new 1500 drops this fall, I think the HD's will be very similar but with a front live axle of course, who knows if they will be all aluminum. My 2017 F-250 is all aluminum, the Alumiduty lol, and so far I am pretty pleased with it. We have grain scales at the farm and I weighed it back to back with my BIL's similarly equipped 2014 model and it was a few hundred pounds lighter easily.

Hopefully they bump up the power, because I drove a 2017 Cummins with the 68rfe and was not impressed by the power or shifting characteristics of the trans... I'll probably go with the Aisan trans since my wife wants an auto in the next truck. I've been really happy with my '06 5.9/6 speed, but I'm pretty sure the manual trans is not an option on the Tungsten Limited Ram I want, anyways. Who knows if they'll even offer a stick at all in the new trucks... it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped it altogether.

Yeh I didn’t think you could get it in the US anymore. Of course I don’t know a lot
I thought this as well but the constant stream of US customers buying 441s from me has yet to dry up. I do know they are still in stock and in the warehouse. It maybe the dealer is just being lazy.

We're gonna need to see some pics of that Power Wagon!

Snapped a couple of pics after spraying it off yesterday. Haven't done much in the way of accessories or mods yet, but future plans in the coming months are:

Thuren 1.5" front coils
Thuren King steering stabilizer
37x12.50R17 Toyo RT's
AEV Salta HD wheels 17x8.5" (might change this up for a wider wheel)
Nuthouse Industries Expedition Rack Nutzo Tech 2 Series
Kinzer Offroad Power Wagon front bumper
White Knuckle Offroad sliders
Dethloff Engine/Tranny skid
Expedition One Dual Swing Out Rear Bumper
Exhaust

PxbTaVc.jpg

nkb0cl4.jpg

RLrlX32.jpg

This is similar to what it'll look like once I get started.

1t4aKOx.jpg

NBKqquI.jpg

kZ27jHq.jpg

On a side note, I got around to cutting down some crepe myrtle's this weekend with the 201TC, man does that little saw rip! I couldn't believe how much power that little top handle contains, very impressed so far.

IMG_0826.JPG Ford's new Super Duty has aluminum body panels, yes, but they reinvested the weight savings back into the frame which makes it stiffer. Here's my 2017 that I ordered in May and picked up last July. I ordered it because I couldn't find one the way I wanted.
F350
XLT
Diesel
4 wheel drive
8 foot box
FX4
and NO clearance lights.
This thing is insane. It accelerates faster with a fully loaded bed and towing a trailer than my F150 did empty. You have to eat lunch while your filling the tank though...48 gallons...

View attachment 639175 Ford's new Super Duty has aluminum body panels, yes, but they reinvested the weight savings back into the frame which makes it stiffer. Here's my 2017 that I ordered in May and picked up last July. I ordered it because I couldn't find one the way I wanted.
F350
XLT
Diesel
4 wheel drive
8 foot box
FX4
and NO clearance lights.
This thing is insane. It accelerates faster with a fully loaded bed and towing a trailer than my F150 did empty. You have to eat lunch while your filling the tank though...48 gallons...

Nice, that's a good looking truck you've got there. I am a fan of Blue Jean Metallic myself, I had the same color on my 2016, you don't see many of them.

These Alumiduty's are very nice, IMHO it's hands down the best HD truck currently on the market. I have no intentions of replacing ours with anything else anytime soon.

***A little update***

So far I've gotten a little use out of both of the newly acquired saws. I've felled and bucked five Ash trees with the MS441 R C-M, two of which had significant rot on the inside. The first tank through the saw was a little rough, the engine seemed to search for its proper power band quite often and it idled funny for the first 10 minutes, it even shutoff a time or two. Things improved significantly on the second tank overall and now that I am almost through the third tank I can tell it's slowly getting smoother and stronger.
I have four more Ash trees to take down this weekend, they are larger and will require me to likely stabilize the top with a line to one of the tractors since I don't have the ability to climb them and delimb and top them out. Slinging around that 28" bar sure is noticeable at the end of the day, I have a newfound respect for the men that do this for a living especially while fighting wildland fires and when swinging on ropes from trees. I am certain that by the time I finish out cutting these trees down that I will be in love with the wrap handle and the saw in general. I think by the 10th tank or more that this saw will be running lights out.

I got around to cutting down a dozen or more huge crepe myrtles in our backyard last week and I did it entirely with the MS201T C-M. Man does that little saw rip, I can't believe how much power it has. My father has a few oak trees that have smaller limbs overhanging his house and his new roof that he got post Harvey so he doesn't want to risk them touching, I plan to get up there with the 201 soon and cut them back for him, Im certain it'll do the job well. I look forward to the day that I can actually get in the tree with it, all in due time.

Now that I have my chainsaws covered I am looking into a power/pole prunner, leaning towards a HT133, thoughts?

She was in the truck when I went in today lol. She saw me come out with two saws when it was only supposed to be one, so I am already on the hot seat haha. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission, at least that's what they tell me lol. It's not easy to hide purchases from an accountant/CPA, especially when she sleeps in the same bed with you.

Yea, we picked that up a couple of months ago. She pretty much stole my F-250 from me so I needed a new truck, I love that she likes to drive it so it's no big deal and we no longer have to own neutered mid-size SUV's now. I went out and got a Ram Power Wagon to build for our overland/camping rig, driving a gasser again is interesting, but when I miss my F-250 I just jump in it when she gets home haha.

I hear on trying to buy something and hide it my wife’s a cpa also talk about hard on trying to get new toys I mean tools in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69E74ADA-2F25-4686-8FF7-B59D63DF5024.jpeg I love my 201. I only have around 8 tanks of fuel through it but I had the bar burried in pine and it done great even with a 16 inch.

Thanks, Im happy with the new truck, but I still prefer my Ford. That might change once I get the Ram built up. Im game for a saw meet up sometime, I am surprised that we don't have any Texas GTG's, less trees here overall, but we are a big state and there's plenty to cut up in your neck of the woods lol.

Here's the Ford that the misses commandeered.

Fkj5nnj.jpg
I’m a Cummins owner myself but I will give credit where it’s due , that is a badass looking truck.

I’m a Cummins owner myself but I will give credit where it’s due , that is a badass looking truck.

Muchas Gracias! My old lady drives it to work most days so I only get to drive her on the weekends. I just clicked over 26K on the odometer and so far so good. The misses wants a new Expedition or Land Cruiser and she's gunning for the Super Duty to go on the chopping black in order for that to happen, I am doing my best to make sure it sticks around haha.

I put Thuren suspension on the Power Wagon along with 37x13.50x18 Toyo RT's on some Method Vex 18x9's in Titanium. So far I prefer the ride of the Ram, but the articulink suspension and rear coils are cheating in comparison lol.

TjUtgni.jpg

rmknUds.jpg

769BA10A-6322-4AF7-A966-DBA8D339BF8F.jpeg I wanted 37s on mine but went with 35s to keep my fifth wheel camper from getting too close to my bed. Those methods look awesome on that truck I’m a big fan of the open country r/t as well that’s what I’m running.

View attachment 665253 I wanted 37s on mine but went with 35s to keep my fifth wheel camper from getting too close to my bed. Those methods look awesome on that truck I’m a big fan of the open country r/t as well that’s what I’m running.

That's a clean truck you've got there, perfect stance without being too big. I'll admit after owning the Ram for half of a year now that I am no longer a hater of Ram trucks. These current Rams have come a long way since the 90's and 2000's. The Cummins motor is hard to argue against and with the new 1500 redesign due to hit the HD trucks for 2020 I think Ford will have their hands full trying to play catch up.

Back