Went to Sears last night..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went in for overtime today and one of youngsters there was trying to bust my balls. Told him he couldn't hang on a old school framing crew. Wouldn't trade my age or past. Its been a helluva ride but its been great. Worked on some great houses,churches,airports,libraries and even PNC Park when they built it.

We went in for overtime today and one of youngsters there was trying to bust my balls. Told him he couldn't hang on a old school framing crew. Wouldn't trade my age or past. Its been a helluva ride but its been great. Worked on some great houses,churches,airports,libraries and even PNC Park when they built it.

Unless you are a laborer I didn't see any need for a hammer at PNC. May be the concrete guys did a little swinging, but the carpenters I see mostly have screw guns. The tinners pound as many nails as the roofers and the woodticks these days. LOL. I swing an Estwig 16 oz., some old wood handled Pumb, and a Nalco tinner most of the time. I have a really nice Channel Lock mini sledge in my bucket too.

Lots of roll form nails for layouts and a bunch of Zamac's for door frames. Plenty of real use on my side jobs.

You guys are showing your age when you talk about framing with hammers.

I was working on a cabin, many years ago, and the 3 studs near a door way were not flush. The guy I was working with was trying to figure out how to deal with this using a circular or reciprocating saw (no power planer). I picked up a draw knife and removed the high spots in just a few minutes. He had only seen them hanging on walls in museums and resturants.

Philbert

.View attachment 384721
These are may favorites, the Hart 21 is the only one I can swing for any length of time. And the head just fits in the joist hangers.
The FatMax 22 feels as heavy as the Craftsman 28. The Vaughan 23 feels much lighter than the FatMax 22. Must be the shape of the handle.
My Porter Cable 350 gets the most use. Not a single jam or misfire in the last 10,000 nails.

Just don't hit your thumb with that Porter Cable

That is interesting. A friend of mind is a 6 foot 5 inch tall electrician. He owns his own business. He has managed to break just about every tool he picks up. He is very strong and always in a hurry. He is using Klein screw drivers. He uses them as drills and pry bars and every once in a while he drives a screw with them. They are pretty tough tools. I think they have a manufacturing plant in Jonesville Michigan. I have their screw drivers and nut drivers. I like them a lot.

I broke a brand new made in USA Husky screw driver the first time I used it. I was trying to get the muffler off a Poulan 5200 based Target 14 inch chop saw. The end of the blade snapped off on the first screw. Home Depot replaced it no questions asked.

Klein tools have been popular among electricians for years, the only real knock I ever heard against them was that the tips of their straight-edge screwdrivers were comparatively soft so they would wear down fairly easily. The usual solution was to just touch up the tips when needed using a grinder and keep on using them.

I remember that Klein had bought out another company (forget the name) in Jonesville I think in the late 1980s so you're probably right about them having a plant there.

Stanley has what look like the same models as the Klein screwdrivers.
The Stanleys fit the slots and plillips well in most screw heads. They seem to wear better than the Kleins.

I am not a fan of cheap tools, especially cheap screwdrivers!

I have a couple sets of Kleins, and a couple sets of Wiha but the best screwdrivers I have used are Wera, made in Germany.

I have 6 sets (2 are micro) and bought another full size set from Sears on Black Friday.

I have made my living with tools for over 35 years.

Stanley has what look like the same models as the Klein screwdrivers.
The Stanleys fit the slots and plillips well in most screw heads. They seem to wear better than the Kleins.

I used to work for an electrical supplier back in the 80's early 90's I have a few Klein screw drivers from there. I think the larger black and yellow handled ones were Stanley commercial screw drivers. Not sure about the smaller black rubber handled ones though. But you are correct about those smaller Phillips tipped ones. They are much nicer than any Snap On I have ever used.

I have seen a brand of pliers and front knippers at Sears called Knipex. I am wondering if they are made by that Wera company. They are very nice. I'll have to Google that.

A pair of Knipex cutters are in my tackle bag. Fishing inshore saltwater when you need a good tool to cut a hook quick and clean these do the job.
If you get impaled by a hook fighting cheap cutters causes more pain and damage.
Get stuck with a hook that still has a fish attached will instill the need for having quality tools.

Tool quality has dropped over the years. Steel quality and tool design has suffered due to price point and the disposible mindset of consumers.
Try finding good drill bits. You can buy bits everywhere but if you want good ones you better know what to buy and where to get them. Most of my bits came from my father in law, an aircraft mechanic from WW2 then Delta for 38yrs. A machinist buddy that retired from Lockheed taught me the difference in tool steels.

Try finding good left handed drill bits locally. People today don't sharpen tools and bits, most don't know how.

Buy good tools, even if you only use it a few times it will work properly.

Screwdrivers are used a lot and quality is important. Get them to fit so you don't gouge the item you are working on.
I have a 70+ piece set of just slotted bits for firearms work. Use the one that fits, if you booger up a good finish or gunstock it hurts.

Try finding good left handed drill bits locally. People today don't sharpen tools and bits, most don't know how.

I was working with anold timer a few years back and I laughed at his really really short drill bits. He said they were older than me. I was 45 at the time

A lot of my tools are hand-me-down from my grandfathers. My drill press is a 1941 walker/turner. I cleaned it up, rebuilt the motor, new belt, power cord and new switch. My vise (old columbian), grinder (wissota) and my S-K socket sets were my moms fathers'. A couple craftsman drills, clamps and my black and decker circ saw were my dad's fathers'.
I have found a bunch of good tools from an old timer machinist and some stuff at barn sales. I've set my cousins and my buddy up with some quality older stuff too and they have an appreciation for quality tools now

I bought the last "Made in the USA" Craftsman Screwdriver set sears had a couple years ago, if they ever go back to "Made in the USA" Tools I'll buy a new set of mechanics tools to celebrate, until then, I wont be buying "Crapsman" Tools as I call them.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My buddy at work found these on line. Ordered 3 sets one for him, me and this old timer named Pete who helps out in
Maintenance. A steal at $30. This is a new ratcheting box end set and not only is it USA made, sears did their best to make it very clear. Printed and a USA flag on the roll and the wrenches have U.S.A. In huge letters on one side industrial on the other

Back