were can i buy a good firewood digital moisture meter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
were can i buy a good firewood digital mositure meter
i do not want to burn unseasoned wood

We sell Wagner meters used mostly for lumber drying, but I use one myself for determining dryness of fire wood I split. Meter is preprogrammed for reading about a hundred or so different type wood specie.
20181101-firewood-moisture.jpg They don't come cheap though.

waste of money IMHO.....24 years of wood burning and have never needed one. Split and stack wood at least 1 year and you'll be fine. My "current" setup is separate stacks for every-other-year (2 years seasoning).

They're a neat gadget, but with some experience & proper wooding techniques not exactly necessary.

I wouldn’t bother getting a good one for firewood. I also agree that they are unnecessary but so is having a garage full of chainsaws and nobody on this site thinks twice about that. Pretty much any one you can find should do the job. Lowe’s, harbor freight, Amazon. I wouldn’t spend more than $25. You’ll probably have to spend ten times that or more for a good one.

There was a thread about them not too long ago and basically everyone was happy with whichever one they bought. They just check the resistance and convert it to an approximate moisture level. I’ve even seen charts to use with a multimeter.

I’m not too impressed with my $35 Stihl one. Did some test with various probe isnertons and wood temperatures and varied 20 points or more. I. Will post data and pics when I have more time.
I use the time/heft/clank method mostly, but would sure like a good meter as I don’ty have miuch storage space and can’ty dry it for two years.

I bought mine a few years ago either on eBay or from harbor freight. I don't remember which. It was only $10-$15 but it has served me well. It may not be the most accurate out there but I only need a ballpark figure anyway. It also measures air temp and a few other things.

k
waste of money IMHO.....24 years of wood burning and have never needed one. Split and stack wood at least 1 year and you'll be fine. My "current" setup is separate stacks for every-other-year (2 years seasoning).

If for your own use only your choice in our area sellers are required to prove with either sight to the buyer a paper stating the MC of random check on the load as stated in other posts it's not a life/death issue but a nice to kno w how it stacks up(no pun intended) the German branded ones seem best quality /operation wise but are pricey

Back