Were number 1 in fatalities

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would bet there are other areas that are dangerous too, but logging and tree work are very bad. You get paid extra for doing jobs with out preparation so cutting corners has its reward until it rips your arm off or kills you. About a year ago a young guy from my town was doing some work out of town and was limbing on a down slope until the log crushed him. Apparently he was in too big of a hurry to stay safe. I have heard that story before. Thanks

on yahoo the logging industry is number one in fatalities. Not a time to be number one but it’s true. I’m sure that OSHA will be all over this report. It mentions about needing medical assistance when your deep in the woods.

Working for a elevator engineering company they took the deaths on the job seriously to a whole new level. Today they have a very low number in fatalities.

I like the saying from the national timber fellers association “ is what I’m about to do safe”
Ask yourself,,,,,on every task. We never know what that tree will take path wise. Don’t let our ego get in the way. Clear a exit path around the trunk before felling. I’m no pro nor consider myself one but I did everything I could to be safe when felling.

The most dangerous jobs are, (once rated)
1. Coal mining,
2. Logging
3. Elevator mechanic

Be safe, don’t work alone, inspect your gear, climbing equipment. Godbless
one of the most dangerous occupations is actually in the Navy working aboard an aircraft carrier.
Or so it was reported.

Some where, maybe in insurance info, I read that most accidents aren't accidents, they are caused by human failure, and it usually takes 3 points of failure to cause the accident. When I was at UPS, I was on the safety committee. We had one class that started with an actual film of one of our delivery drivers. He was sitting at a red light, the light turned green and he pulled off, and a young kid hit him in a sports car at over 100 MPH, killing both kids in the car. The whole accident was on a red light camera. The police did not charge the UPS driver. The question to the class was whose fault was the accident. I was the only person in the class that said our driver. Not because I'm that smart. I just know, that UPS always blames our drivers. When I was asked to explain, I used the 3 points of failure. In the video, the driver was looking at his computer board when the light turned green, looked up and took off. That was two points of failure, he wasn't paying attention, and he didn't look Left, Right, Left before taking off. A third point of failure was the kid going 100MPH

In the above video, I knew before I clicked on it what was going to happen. You had a top that was entangled in another top. A tag line that was set too low to have any leverage on the top. Points of failure? Tag line should have been high enough that the ground man could have pulled the top free, while the hinge was still attached, using the hinge to guide it. Tying the tag line too low. The climber had to cut his hinge completely through before it came free, then the ground man just pulled the butt out a few feet.

No one likes to be told they caused an accident. But, when you sit down and analyze one, you might find things that would have prevented it. It doesn't always take 3 points of failure, but, when you go back and start looking, you usually can find three things.

Most people say, that's just stupid, nobody is going to do all of that stuff. They are right, it's hard work to pay attention every minute you are awake. But, if more people did, there might be a lot less accidents.

Arborists are not in the same industry classification as logging. So if you read about fatal occupational injury rates you need to know how they are derived. The Bureau of Labor Statistics uses the NAICS code to report fatal injury rates by industry. Arborists fall under Landscaping Services. Logging has its own code. So you can see there might be some disparity when comparing the two, from the BLS data anyway.

This is something I don’t talk about much but I think by far I had the most deadly job there is from July of 2001 till April of 2007 I served as an EOD tech (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) in the USMC during that time I was deployed on 5 combat tours (3 in Afghanistan & 2 in Iraq) my battalion had a 75% casualty rate and I lost a lot of friends and 95% of my hearing.

Worked for electric utilities for 38 years, sat in on all the safety meetings. Thinking about it, I have to make myself stop and think about the hazards, and whether I am using the PPE, before I make the next move. At work, we would get "do better" talks. So I came up with a saying that has managed to stick in my head: "Don't say, 'I knew better'; DO better!" Too many times we think or say I knew better than to ___________...(fill in the blank); we really need to quit saying that! Just DO better. My $0.02

... For instance tree removal is lumped in with landscaping workers.

This is an old post, but the information is so wrong, I thought I should correct it.
Even "Landscaping" is divided into different worker's compensation classes.
9102 Park NOC. This is the most common classification used for lawn care companies and includes many related functions such as mowing, weeding, grounds maintenance, raking, fertilizing, and limited trimming and planting operations. Generally this class code is best suited for lawn care companies providing routine lawn services.​
or
0042 Landscaping is distinguished from lawn care in that many of the tasks related to this class include new landscaping verses the maintenance of existing landscaping. Related work includes laying out grounds and retaining walls, planting, excavation, and sprinkler installation. Applies to employees primarily engaged in planning, clearing, grading, laying of sod, seeding, and planting necessary for landscape installation operations. Planting of trees, shrubs, and flowers are classified to this code along with general gardening activities.​

Tree service falls under this category:
0106 Tree pruning, spraying, and repairing is a specialized classification due to potential height exposure and the utilization of specific equipment such as chainsaws and sheers. This class may include pruning, removal, grinding, harvesting, and driving.​
or #6217 Tree removal operations-limited number from developed sites-​

Logging or timber harvesting is NCCI code 2702.
"Applies to all types of logging and tree removal operations regardless of the size of timber being harvested or removed. Applies to insured that produce wood for grinding pulp for paper production."
There are a LOT of class codes, and it can be difficult to be sure what class you are working in. Consult with this comprehensive list:
https://www.workerscompensationshop.com/workers-compensation-class-codes-alphabetical

Pretty sure that the logging industry is a lot safer than it used to be. Attitude and priorities have a lot to do with that. I remember the 70's when people used to walk around on hill tops with lightning coming down. They were generally healthy and happy and care free.
Now a lot of people are afraid of their own shadow and terrified of dying. All the while guzzling anti-depressants and other medications.

I think drug and alcohol abuse plays a heavy role in many industrial accidents.

I don't see how processing multi-ton objects sticking way up in the air will ever be truly safe. Chainsaw alone has danger written all over it.

Back