West Coast Fallers Pay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isnt a good hand a good hand whether paid by the piece or time?
yes. but what difference would it make to the good faller how he gets paid if its good pay?

Shod i guess my best advice would be to talk to those who know who the good fallers are in that area. when in rome, do as the romans.......

I much prefer to get paid for wood produced and not by the hr., mostly because I feel guilty if I need or want to stop.
I have worked for 50-80$/hr., but only for 4-6 hrs.
I'd much rather work for 150.00/cord, felled blocked and stacked.
Haven't cut any real timber since 07 but it was easy to gross 500.00 a tree then. Finding it was the hard part.
John

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but fallers:bowdown: started getting paid by the hour when the trees got smaller. Or paid by the day. Most are cutting in plantations now. And, the trend seems to be to just fall the tree and let the delimber or processor on the landing do the rest.

OK...since your wrong I'll correct you. Day wage has been around for 50 years. When it was first introduced most every faller rejected the thought of it and considered it to be an act of immorality. The term Gypo logger was held with high regard and I can remember great uncles sitting around campfires having deep discussions about such things as moral value and Gypo spirit. In fact most of those great men often referred to the act of any mill or logger that tried to introduce daywage as something that would inevitably destroy the moral fiber of the working man.

Even in an atmosphere of Men of High Moral value Men of lower moral value attempted repeatedly to introduce a day wage and some succeeded.

Men who rejected the idea of a daywage made the claim that it would make a man lazy and this would not be a good thing because when a man becomes lazy it would ruin the man.

Eventually little by little as moral value slipped from generation to generation the introduction of the daywage by the Oregon western mills and men was gradually introduced until the great plagg swept the land.

The oldtimers claimed it would make men lazy while the educated mill owners whom lack the common sence of the working man reasoned that it really would not change production that much.

The mill owners in Western Oregon and many parts of Washington were wrong.

However an apple doesn't spoil in one day.....it takes time. As the working man began to spoil just as the oldtimers claimed would happen the mills continued for years to keep the price extremely low. After all....now the mills were working with men who no longer produced and could not afford to pay more

In many other parts of the West Coast that Gypo was still the order of the day Men continued to make several $100 a day more than the man whom compromised for the daywage.

Shod

i think i understand what your tryin to say here. i would be considered a gypo over there.
so, to be clear you are in favor of a hourly wage as opposed to day wage? you don't like piece rate? or its just not done there?

Day wage has been around.. Here, where the trees were big, getting paid by the board foot was more common and paid better for a good faller. You didn't mention that.

Gypo loggers ? That was and still is a term, not particularly "honorable" for a small time operator with well used, equipment, held together with haywire. They pick up the smaller jobs and more jobs now because there are no more mill crews in this area, or unionized crews.

Morals have nothing to do with it. You either get paid by the day or by the hour around here because the wood is small now. Trees still have to be cut one at a time, but you ought to know that if you were real.

This is funny. Honor? Morals? from one who speaks about peeing methods? Talks ill of "Mexicans". I ran into a very good hooktender on a very good crew who you'd probably call a Mexican. He was good at what he did and probably got paid more for being the hooktender, and at the usual rate. I don't go around asking how much people are paid. But I have noticed that people like you, who have to advertise or beg to get folks to work for them, are usually ones who didn't pay the crew well, or pay them at all, or had unsafe working habits, or were just jerks. The good employers have the same folks working for them and don't need to brag or boast of their urination styles on an internet forum and phish for info. In fact, why were you on the computer all day? If it was weather, you should have been out looking at other cutting jobs, or fishing.

Tell me about Farmer Loggers....Maybe you are one?

A decided to add in my response to a friend wondering if this guy might be for real:

totally full of ****. Just a bunch of lingo. total nonsense. He's said that the wage is so low. but theres nobody cutting, so he can name his price. So would everyone else then.

a lot of day waging $/day is low cause its low skill. a lot out there is just 35 year old plantation, dump and run.

I've paid a team $900/day before so $500 isn't crazy, but not likely. But his presentation makes it seem like he is total bs

I read an oldtimer once say something like "it was a sad day when the day wage went away and everyone started cutting by scale, took all the fun and banter and conversation out of the woods."

There are pros and cons and advantages and disadvantages to each payment method. one may more suited to a particular situation, I've chosen the way I pay for a reason too.

well Shod, things are so different between here and there, i'm not sure how to answer you. it seems like around here every few years there is some cat that can out do every one that came before him and there fore he is worth more. they never make it.
i do understand there is a lot more hand falling on your side. i do agree a good faller should get paid well.........i would want to get paid well. i just got sic of giving guys a shot that really didn't know what they were doing.
good luck to you. it just seems to me that you could go broke fast paying that good a money per hour if the guy is not producing logs in a hurry.
no real offense intended.........a little advice tho, tone down just a smidge, ya might get more response to what you want to know.

I don't think your quite following what I'm doing.

Fellas like myself show up and bid the extra work that the locals can't keep up with when the market picks up.

The work we pick up for Helicopters and recently some local loggers is most often paid Gypo rather than day wage just because its how we like to do it.

The problem with setting a Gypo price for a fella who likes to day wage is the day wager will never make it. As you stated however.....set the price per thousand and a good faller will make money. I set the price so A Gypo will make a minimum of $500 and a few fallers will cut enouph to make $1000 a day.

I'm simply trying to root out who the Gypos in this area are and yes there are a few. Id rather higher 10 Gypos than 50 day wagers. A lot less to keep track of and the wood gets cut just as fast. I'll probably end up with 4 or 5 good Gypo fallers from this area.

Shod

Well its been a day... No PM...

By the way that stihl was a regular ole still 088/880 arctic cover be damned... and those folks are from Oregon, I did watch a little of the first man Drama season, and a new saw for a Pro faller is not something out of the ordinary (even though I remember that dude running a Sachs)

Gyppos have never been taken seriously by the "Big" outfits, or should I say where never taken seriously, since the big outfits are pretty much gone...

Perhaps you are confusing your logger dictionary with Timber Tramp or Tramp Busheller a different other term for day wager or busheller...

Speaking of pissing... you have enough rope you can start trying to piss up it, that is if you can get it around your beer belly.

A true gypo? :ices_rofl: Oh Ape, you are so good with words. But you keep giving yourself away. Same old same old. My BS meter is so far off the scale it shattered. For your next attempt to pretend to be a west coast 'cutter', gyppos are union busting, beer drinking, cigarette smoking cursing hacks that get into bar brawls on a regular basis. See that avatar I have here? Hank is the king of the gyppo loggers. You could say that Ken coined the term, or at least brought it into common use. You savvy, Brush Ape?

I thought that you were out of here Fake Gypo , the door hit you in the back of the head and you were Shanghai'd out of Astoria on a freighter and enslaved in some shanty in SE Asia where you are busy hacking web sites from. I see you have also cultivated your other Brush Ape renditions cross posting from and to your other noob personae to give yourself more credibility here. So typical of your methods here of late. It must be hard keeping track of all those personalities in your head.

And the winner goes to windthrown! :clap:

The only fella around here smart enouph to actually sniff me out.

Its true, I am the one and only and great brush ape! Tell Randy I said Hello!

Ta ta for now till I show up unexpectedly

Brush Ape

Duane (the guy holding the shiny new 390) gave his son the best advice I've ever heard about timber falling. He was breakin him in ya see and he told him the only thing ya gotta remember is this, "fallin and buckin, fightin and phuckin," and by God he was right.

And the winner goes to windthrown! :clap:

The only fella around here smart enouph to actually sniff me out.

Its true, I am the one and only and great brush ape! Tell Randy I said Hello!

Ta ta for now till I show up unexpectedly

Brush Ape
Daddy didn't love you enough or what?

bitz, hammer, 1270 and norhty, you guys don't go to chainsaw much. brush ape is a troll that keeps coming back like a dam pimple on yer back ya can't reach. disreguard this whole thread, its just horse malarky........

why do i here his voice when shod types ?
3782233-2573060496-hanni.jpg

Latest posts

Back