Western Larch bark peel makes ya smile.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alongshot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
20190914_164518.jpg When ya get one of these on the ground for firewood and the bark pops of like this, it can put a little smile on your face.

(This is also referred to as Tamarack where I'm at)

Never burned larch, though I hear it's pretty good fuel. Catches fast and burns really hot, though not as quickly as other conifers. We have around here, only they're not very common. Probably planted as an ornamental as I don't think they're indigenous in these parts.

Never burned larch, though I hear it's pretty good fuel. Catches fast and burns really hot, though not as quickly as other conifers. We have around here, only they're not very common. Probably planted as an ornamental as I don't think they're indigenous in these parts.
As I understand it Tamarack is a east coast tree. West Coast has the W. Larch , people refer to it as Tamarack. The actual east coast Tamarack is smaller than the West Coast Larch. This tree I got locals would refer to it as a buckskin Tammy. Its the top of the preferred firewood around here. I'm west coast or PNW or eastern Washington. I stack this good stuff in a separate pile and don't split them unless they won't fit in the fireplace.

It's called tamarack out here in the pnw, it and red fir are the preferred firewood. Usually if it's dead & dry the bark falls right off. Doesn't usually have many limbs & it splits easy.

Latest posts

Back