Western redcedar (I think)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondpete

Reaction score
Hi we have a deciduous conifer in our backyard (suburban Philadelphia, PA). I think it might be a western redcedar, but not sure. We planted it about 25 years ago as a sapling and it is now about 25 feet tall and a very pretty tree. Every fall it loses all the needles (for many years we thought it was dead or dying, until it miraculously came back to life in the spring).

Anyhow, this year, for the first time, the tree is growing pine cones. They are still small and green at the end of July, but they are very abundant throughout the tree.

Does this mean the tree has reached a different stage of maturity? Is it normal to do this at 25 years old? Will it produce these pine cones every year from now on?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
Pete

Most all Deciduous Confers are of a type of Larch.
They should get cones at about10 yrs.
There is also about three types from the Cyprus family as well the Dawn Redwood that is used in landscape? Perhaps that is what you bought?
It may only get cones on a hot year or a bumper crop.

What colour do the needles go?

Most all Deciduous Confers are of a type of Larch.
They should get cones at about10 yrs.
There is also about three types from the Cyprus family as well the Dawn Redwood that is used in landscape? Perhaps that is what you bought?
It my only get cones on a hot year or a bumper crop.

What colour do the needles go?
The needles turn a reddish brown in late Fall before they fall.

I also saw a description of a "bald cypress" that sounded and looks like what we have.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to fix a problem, just to understand more about this beauty that is dominating our back yard. Since we grew it from a sapling and it has such character, it's almost like a member of the family.
Pete

The needles turn a reddish brown in late Fall before they fall.

I also saw a description of a "bald cypress" that sounded and looks like what we have.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to fix a problem, just to understand more about this beauty that is dominating our back yard. Since we grew it from a sapling and it has such character, it's almost like a member of the family.
Pete
I have a 35 to 40 foot bald cypress in the back yard the wife and I planted about 20 years ago. Doesn't produce cones but rather round balls every year.

Hi we have a deciduous conifer in our backyard (suburban Philadelphia, PA). I think it might be a western redcedar, but not sure. We planted it about 25 years ago as a sapling and it is now about 25 feet tall and a very pretty tree. Every fall it loses all the needles (for many years we thought it was dead or dying, until it miraculously came back to life in the spring).

Anyhow, this year, for the first time, the tree is growing pine cones. They are still small and green at the end of July, but they are very abundant throughout the tree.

Does this mean the tree has reached a different stage of maturity? Is it normal to do this at 25 years old? Will it produce these pine cones every year from now on?

Pete
not a Red Cedar

As for cones, could be that its been all sorts of lonely for 20 some odd years, and a neighbor near by planted a friend for it to share DNA with

Pete
We need some pics to see it and the fruit ( 'cones').
You could look it up and see what species it is.
That's what I do when I come across a suspicious tree.
But I know all the trees on my property and especially remember the few I bought.
Lets see some pics.

Back