whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I climbed a Bradford today. Does that count?

I bid $2k on booming a Bradford over a house the other day. Those things get pretty big around here with multi leads. No access either side to take out the wood or debris so a crane is mandatory. Mine will reach it. Just put a new bed surface on my crano. heart.

That is a pretty sharp bend on the back side of the top of that stem. Greatly reduces strength with that much bend. Why not just tie it off with a R bowline on the front or a timber hitch?[/QUOTE]

There’s a notch cut on top. We’re not pulling it with three trucks so I’m not too concerned about it breaking. The knot is on the backside so it’s easier to untie and get out.

Yeah, you can shape (round over) the edges where the rope passes over the top of the spar with the chainsaw as you cut the notch, to give a really good bend radius. You can also cut a notch into the front side of the spar, opposite the knot, to reduce the chances of the rope riding up the spar, on smooth or flaky barked trees. Thick, corky barked ones grab the rope well.

It's a neat trick with only one caveat, really... if you're pulling the spar over, not just chunking, you need to have the rope guide notch pointing toward the lay of the fall, and perpendicular to the falling cut. Otherwise, the spar can tend to roll and twist off the stump, which is what you're trying to avoid in the first place.

That is a pretty sharp bend on the back side of the top of that stem. Greatly reduces strength with that much bend. Why not just tie it off with a R bowline on the front or a timber hitch?[/QUOTE] if I'm tipping back leaning fat pieces where every little bit of extra leverage matters you betcha it comes over the top.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The crane wouldn't fit in any of the spots last week Tom. Rigs on one would be on an embankment. Pool job, another long tight twisty drive with ground soaking wet (so 75' bucket and Dingo). On another had to go up neighbor's steep drive and they were none too happy to permit it last year when we did this $8k removal on property with historic sign (ho paid a lawn service pre agreed after we left). This town is REAL fkn hilly.

Mowed my lawn finally today (was like 4’ weeds), pressure washed the front of shop,, and hired another new jackass to try out. Oh, and looked at an estimate to start the day. I still gotta figure out where the hell we’re going tomorrow. I wish there was another day off! This one day holiday leaves something to be desired. Is it winter yet!!??:)
D4DEBAEF-3EDC-4C74-AF0C-EF711E8FD918.jpeg 0ECAE7DC-3F92-4C18-A5DB-189330B4C629.jpeg EFBA3F72-290D-4749-8524-D0251A5E50A8.jpeg B0E81E4F-2145-4A4F-AFD3-55ADD9526B85.jpeg Lawn needs so much work!! I just don’t have the time anymore! And when I do, my time is usually spent stressing over the never ending stream of Loooossserrs flowing through the doors. Grrrr !!! :yes:,,,:dancing:

The crane wouldn't fit in any of the spots last week Tom. Rigs on one would be on an embankment. Pool job, another long tight twisty drive with ground soaking wet (so 75' bucket and Dingo). On another had to go up neighbor's steep drive and they were none too happy to permit it last year when we did this $8k removal on property with historic sign (ho paid a lawn service pre agreed after we left). This town is REAL fkn hilly.

amazing architecture on that house.

Well, there is a tree that blew down in the storms we've been having... but, I figured since it's already on the ground, it can't fall any further.
So I started making some shed doors, instead.

Rails-Stiles.jpg ShedDoor1.jpg ShedDoor2.jpg ShedDoor3.jpg

Was nice to listen to miter saw, table saw, router table, etc. instead of chainsaws. Still ended up with a snoot full of sawdust.

Started a five day job today. 31 white pines, 110’ but only around 20”. The pulp mill is 10 minutes away. I get $25 a ton for chips and logs. Gonna be fun.
f21416a950118befd40fb631b2ded398.jpg

Had my 16 year old nephew help out today for the first time. He’s the scrawny one with the green shirt. He did pretty good. I didn’t stare at him and watch his every move, but I saw him dragging more than a few larger ash tops with one of the other guys. I think there’s hope. Could even be the future. Figure I’d better get him going now. I think I could teach him a lot in a few years. Lord knows it’s in his blood.:yes:
4E3B6A28-7E60-45B4-8643-138C0EEA9DDB.jpeg

Attachments

• F8171817-6217-43D6-BA87-4AEB76188987.jpeg
    F8171817-6217-43D6-BA87-4AEB76188987.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 5EEEFE31-2FC3-43C9-9E78-5DA4AF3BA220.jpeg
    5EEEFE31-2FC3-43C9-9E78-5DA4AF3BA220.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 9CDD7AF9-9077-4544-8ADD-E9D33DFF0E7F.jpeg
    9CDD7AF9-9077-4544-8ADD-E9D33DFF0E7F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Had my 16 year old nephew help out today for the first time. He’s the scrawny one with the green shirt. He did pretty good. I didn’t stare at him and watch his every move, but I saw him dragging more than a few larger ash tops with one of the other guys. I think there’s hope. Could even be the future. Figure I’d better get him going now. I think I could teach him a lot in a few years. Lord knows it’s in his blood.:yes:
View attachment 661772

Holding a pile of brush and not a smart phone. That’s a good start.

Back