whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash are the big one right now, not so much with the oaks. That’s a big dead Sugar Maple behind the Ash. I think someone Arboristed that one to a sudden death. Lol,, “SAD”.:laugh:

Lost my temper at a customer today.

Makes me made I let him get under my skin. Combine being worn out/tired and I get irritated a bit easier. Even still it takes quite a bit to set me off.

About a month ago he dropped off 5 or 6 band saw blades to get sharpened, said he'd come by the next day to see if they were junk or not/give the ok to sharpen.
The shop owner is the expert on band saw stuff (was a Woodmizer dealer for several years). He looked them over the next day, and all but one were junk.

Well... he never showed up. Blades sat around, we tried calling, left messages. He shows up yesterday out of the blue about 5 mins before closing. I was pretty much sleeping while cutting wood, just dog tired. Explained to him they had too many teeth broken off, 1 was kinked really bad, etc. and he started playing the "I'm an old man, I'm an expert", this is how to do it, etc. (basically he wanted several hours of work on these blades and still a big IF that the blades would hold up and work. I'm sure if the thing cut like poo or broke in a few mins of running it'd be my fault too.

He ended up taking those bad blades claiming he could fix them, that I was trying to rip him off (uh... by not doing and charging for work that would be a waste?), I didn't know what I was doing, (never claimed to be an expert!)

The one blade that was ok he wanted to get sharpened and he paid for it. Said he'd swing by around 6 or 7pm for it, to just leave it outside.

Well I had it written on my list to get done first thing today, but got super busy and completely forgot about it. Would have looked at my list again after closing though, so it would have been done in time.

He shows up way early, at 4:50, 10 mins before closing. I apologized and told him I'd do it right then, it'd be about 10 mins.

He throws a fit... swearing up and down, "Don't have that kind of time, I'm an bleeping bleep for forgetting, etc". (all for a $10 sharpen job). I apologized, refunded him the $$. Asked him to not swear or take the Lord's name in vain twice. There were a few other people and a young kid around too.
As he's walking off, started swearing again.

I blew my top... basically told him where to put that blade and he's not welcomed here again.

Really irritates me that he got to me enough to act like that. No better than he was.

Finished up Wednesday. Bid for five days with a four man crew. Took five days and bid beautifully. Guy left a good review too.
502b04f16288a82c218358b162832f62.jpg

Before I forget, we made a good 1300 on wood pulp too. Couldn’t get the bucket close enough to the house to get that dead branch off. Apparently it’s been there all season.

It was a beautiful day! Well, the transition is going smooth. Had our aerial rescue training today and a party for the guy's for 260 days accident free.
What I did today was make a wish list of stuff and it was approved, wow, my guy's are gonna be happy.
I spent almost $12k,,,got 9 petzl saddles and 9 zigzag's to start,,lots of gear, feels good. Gonna spend another $4k in rope on Monday.
Jeff

It was a beautiful day! Well, the transition is going smooth. Had our aerial rescue training today and a party for the guy's for 260 days accident free.
What I did today was make a wish list of stuff and it was approved, wow, my guy's are gonna be happy.
I spent almost $12k,,,got 9 petzl saddles and 9 zigzag's to start,,lots of gear, feels good. Gonna spend another $4k in rope on Monday.
Jeff
Need an assistant? Not sure I'd make it in Cali I might kill everybody tho.

I went shopping without the boss knowing, spent 235 bucks on essentials I felt kinda guilty because I didn't call first. Now I dont feel so bad I think the company will survive, I hope!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Had a limb come off at an apartment complex I do work at. Kind of a catch 22 situation. If it rolled one way it would smack the light pole. If I cut off the part that would smack the light pole it would roll the other way and smack the light pole. A little rigging and it came down and no light pole was damaged in the process.
IMG_20180721_152353583.jpg
It had fallen on a couple of cars but they had been moved by the time we had gotten there.

I have two weeks to put a new truck order in for either a international or kenworth to get it right before spring. I’m want a 33k pound truck but my guys are not getting their gonads together for their cdl. I told them their stuck at 16 an hour until the license. I just think I’d be really limited with a 26k hooklift even though the wood truck I use right now is 26k.

It just boggles my mind how people are perfectly happy at a plateau for the rest of their life.

I have two weeks to put a new truck order in for either a international or kenworth to get it right before spring. I’m want a 33k pound truck but my guys are not getting their gonads together for their cdl. I told them their stuck at 16 an hour until the license. I just think I’d be really limited with a 26k hooklift even though the wood truck I use right now is 26k.

It just boggles my mind how people are perfectly happy at a plateau for the rest of their life.
Get the book from the dmv give it to them tell them to read. The next rain day take them to the dmv for the permit, hell even pay for it... then take time to get them driving the truck they would test in then schedule a day for the road test that is during a regular work day.

If they won't read on their own, it sucks production and money wise, but find some time to sit them down In the shop to read

Yes, yes. I have done all of those things. Still waiting....

Just send them to one of those CDL schools. I got my B in like three weeks. 40 hours class time over two weekends, then went back the next week on a Wednesday and drove three hours, tested that Saturday, went to dmv later the same day and got my CDL B. The A was another story. B is a cakewalk, though.

Not everybody cares about getting anywhere in life. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that at least we’re attempting to accomplish (something). Hell, even when I was at my worst, most stoned out boozy state, I still wanted this or that new toy next. Some people are just,,, you know,,

I wouldn’t buy a truck like that underweight, no way in hell. You’re on the right path for sure.

Yes, yes. I have done all of those things. Still waiting....
Slackers!
if I had a job and my boss said I'm gonna pay you to upgrade your license then pay me more after I got it I'd be all over it! Hell they would still be doing the same job..

Dont stop at 33k get a tandem truck go all out!

Took a trip to the Peterbuilt dealership in my state and talked about a truck. Sounds like a better deal than the kenworth equivalent and closer. I’m going to wait until I hear back from him once he does a mock build with the body shop and I know where I’m at with carrying capacity.

Got a little more light into this place. Lol. Was actually kind of sad. This swamp maple was crap and a hazard, but the white oak (trunk in foreground) was a beautiful tree. I tried to tell them, but they already had their minds made up. Oh well. Nice day to have two chip trucks and The Reaper,, I mean chipper.:)
42D85AF9-A696-486A-BD62-5DD4F2BB989C.jpeg
C23E4B2A-49C3-4BF0-ABA6-B48232321475.jpeg 3E79A3AE-1C7A-4563-8CC2-A0F23AD55323.jpeg FD3169D2-3F0F-4C6B-80C1-4BDCE573D35A.jpeg

Took a trip to the Peterbuilt dealership in my state and talked about a truck. Sounds like a better deal than the kenworth equivalent and closer. I’m going to wait until I hear back from him once he does a mock build with the body shop and I know where I’m at with carrying capacity.
basically the same truck with a different nose. both can be spaced identically. both come out of the paccar factory.

Back