whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell, for all I know it may be over 200 years old!

It's the biggest diameter trunked CalPepper I've seen at about an eight foot DBH, and over eleven foot at knee height.

The spread's about eighty feet, or was till I whacked it back from over the house.

If it were my tree I'd have moved the house.

Jomoco

There are equations for figuring the age of most trees. Damn, impressive dimensions.

100 years is ancient? We have 200, 300, 500 plus yr old trees in my little town. The town muni just removed a 240 year old Bur oak for no apparent reason and I ratted them out on our local neighborhood forum. The tree had not a dead twig, sound buttress, no decay in the trunk or scaffold, and no threat to anything (they touted it as a 24/7 threat to people and property). Took them 10 days to remove it over wires (I could have done it in 3 days) and they charged the utility $30,000 with the city removing the wood and the stump is still there.

View attachment 673158 View attachment 673159
10 days is pretty exciting for that! looks like and easy tree with all those straight limbs

They musta put the new guy up in that one or something. I mean I'm fat and outa shape and im not really a good climber by any means and it looks like I'd be done with it as a climbing tree 2 days tops, one day with a bucket and a 5 man crew.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

They musta put the new guy up in that one or something. I mean I'm fat and outa shape and im not really a good climber by any means and it looks like I'd be done with it as a climbing tree 2 days tops, one day with a bucket and a 5 man crew.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on how far the dump site is, maybe the dump spot was far? 1 hour+ per trip? Nice straight branches for the ground guys/chipper which fill the trucks fast. Pictures don't always tell the whole story, maybe almost half of the tree is over the wires? Ground couldn't be more unlevel. Chunkin might be more difficult then it looks w/ sidewalk right there? Pretty tree, around here it would never get cut down if on public property.

Part of another little project. I spent most of the day in the cage (in between two fences and a stone wall) running ropes. I wish I could say it’s a fun job, but I really just want it done and a check. It’s been an off week between the holiday, weather, etc. Back at it tomorrow trying to play catch up.
672FA087-83FC-4D4B-8BC9-896718BB0EEE.jpeg

I guess it depends on how far the dump site is, maybe the dump spot was far? 1 hour+ per trip? Nice straight branches for the ground guys/chipper which fill the trucks fast. Pictures don't always tell the whole story, maybe almost half of the tree is over the wires? Ground couldn't be more unlevel. Chunkin might be more difficult then it looks w/ sidewalk right there? Pretty tree, around here it would never get cut down if on public property.

It is hard to fathom the size of this tree from the picture. Estimated at 120 feet tall and canopy over a hundred feet with the road and half over primaries and pole right next to trunk and downhill that kicked chunks into the road...and you're right...it should never have been removed. But probably 3 days with my 150' sub crane and some bucket and some climbing. Wires were covered but you still have to tiptoe. They had garbage trucks and big bobcats with grapples and no chipping.

Worked on rigging the wood from this oak down. Then started another twin maple, pulled up 40 sheets of plywood before it killed the lawn, blew grass up and got outta town. Supposed to rain tomorrow last I knew. I’d rather spend my Sunday cutting trees than doing nothing anyway. Seems like as good a place as any for me.
7BCD76D5-60F5-4C55-91B1-030458A09C77.jpeg

You know nimrod means "great hunter" or something like that from the bible. So when Bugs Bunny was calling Elmer Fudd a nimrod he was using sarcasm in regards to Emler's hunting ability not his intelligence. Y'all can thank Bugs Bunny for the confusion.

Currently booked past Xmas. I have so many calls coming in I stopped returning some so people are showing up at my ******* house. All because this gypsy moth larva kill. Oak trees dead everywhere and dropping limbs like nobody’s business.
I’m trying to find a guy to lead another crew but everyone is occupied. I’m done trying to teach guys to climb. Nobody wants to learn knots little lone how to work position.

Just started a two week/20k job the other day. We will see how it goes. It’s a HOA deal and the guy in charge is following me around quipping the whole time. I guess retirement isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Had a weird injury recently, got pricked my a robinia thorn a month ago and a week later a huge boil formed on my thumb. Couldn’t drain it so I let it be. I thought it was weird the boil came out a week after it pricked me. Oh well. Maybe I’ll post some pics.

The ole boy, smaller bucket was beginning to look real ragged so we slapped a coat on it. Now I want to paint the other 7 trucks and 2 chippers, 2 sprayers, big stumper and trailers etc. This truck runs and operates perfect although old like me. DSCF4331 - Copy.JPG DSCF4331 - Copy.JPG DSCF4328.JPG DSCF4326.JPG

Currently booked past Xmas. I have so many calls coming in I stopped returning some so people are showing up at my ******* house. All because this gypsy moth larva kill. Oak trees dead everywhere and dropping limbs like nobody’s business.
I’m trying to find a guy to lead another crew but everyone is occupied. I’m done trying to teach guys to climb. Nobody wants to learn knots little lone how to work position.

Just started a two week/20k job the other day. We will see how it goes. It’s a HOA deal and the guy in charge is following me around quipping the whole time. I guess retirement isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Had a weird injury recently, got pricked my a robinia thorn a month ago and a week later a huge boil formed on my thumb. Couldn’t drain it so I let it be. I thought it was weird the boil came out a week after it pricked me. Oh well. Maybe I’ll post some pics.

Fortunately they weren't too bad around here in south Jersey this year. Many towns sprayed stuff from the air that really seemed to work. So many trees died about 7-10 years ago from them. I personally lost at least 5 big oaks. They are a cyclical thing aren't they? I heard something like they only come around every 5 years or something?

Got to the job and saw that a shackle for the springs on my flatbed trailer broke. Thing is only two years old. Don’t ever buy a sure trac. Here’s a couple pics.
2a4b4d4c0ce33fb91f296d7479b5d951.jpg
55094b1476bb3380d5966f671de70412.jpg
f01e1819ee2751fead2424fe072a0c63.jpg

I am on my 2nd Sure Trac, first one stolen. Gotta keep an eye on it after seeing that. My new one is 3 yrs. old but since I bought a 11 foot one ton f 350 4x4 dump it rarely goes out it is so much easier. Moron help last week must have backed up with it in the dump and hit the brakes (no need for that as it dumps so steep) then hit the gas and the tail gate support broke and then the gate jammed on the concrete bending the schit outta the hinge....bammm $200. repair. If he wasn't such a good climber I would have kicked him down the road months ago...big pita...here is a pict of him in action....

KIMG0518.JPG

Latest posts

Back