whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did that little tractor drag all the logs out? Pretty impressive.

Yeah. It's a little John Deere 27 horse diesel. He brought and ran it for $50 per hour. Most of the trees were less than 10" dbh so we mostly skidded whole trees right to the chipper. He also took all the bigger wood with his grapple truck. Worked out great.

The lift looks awesome!

Thanks. I’m excited to get to work with it after the holiday here.

Other than using it (and the obvious safety factor with all the dead trees), I’m most looking forward to the way it changes looking at jobs. It’s completely refreshing after 30 years of the same old same old. Between this and the Giant, and the 20” chipper, it’s an entirely new game.

I mean yeah, payments suck, but I don’t think anyone ever really got anywhere without taking some chances at some point.

The fact that the work to earn those payments is so much more civilized doesn’t hurt either. Lol.:)

Other than using it (and the obvious safety factor with all the dead trees), I’m most looking forward to the way it changes looking at jobs. It’s completely refreshing after 30 years of the same old same old. Between this and the Giant, and the 20” chipper, it’s an entirely new game.

I mean yeah, payments suck, but I don’t think anyone ever really got anywhere without taking some chances at some point.

The fact that the work to earn those payments is so much more civilized doesn’t hurt either. Lol.:)

I worry about overhead sometimes due to the unreliability of workers. My ability to earn is severely hampered if someone doesn’t show up and I’m stuck with one guy on the ground. As long as you have the ground covered your payments shouldn’t be a problem.

I worry about overhead sometimes due to the unreliability of workers. My ability to earn is severely hampered if someone doesn’t show up and I’m stuck with one guy on the ground. As long as you have the ground covered your payments shouldn’t be a problem.

Yeah, you really do still need two ground guys (sadly). Just the plywood and the raking and the putting tools away, etc., etc. I do so much as it is that lending a hand with any of that just puts it over the top. I’m sure the ground help feels the same if there’s not another guy too. Lol.

I'm almost afraid to ask- how much are those payments? That machine looks amazing.

Took out a big Norway Spruce today. Stump was 66" at its widest.KIMG0154.JPG KIMG0155.JPG

Not the most fun I ever had on the first day, but we got a hollow, stone dead 110 footer out. This is all 90’ and turret about 5’ from tree, needled through Norway maple branches (that’s a dogwood down there too lol). Couldn’t even see the ground over the other trees. Like I said, not the most fun for day one. Lol. Better times ahead hopefully!
ACE2F58D-4EDE-4DB9-B3F0-8B22F45BFEA3.jpeg
749717CF-BC05-45DC-9BF7-9AD1D12A2309.jpeg
11D05122-D3E2-43DA-B7B5-9C4D59B8B321.jpeg
405BDAA5-204E-481C-A0DD-603A66EA2726.jpeg

Not the most fun I ever had on the first day, but we got a hollow, stone dead 110 footer out. This is all 90’ and turret about 5’ from tree, needled through Norway maple branches (that’s a dogwood down there too lol). Couldn’t even see the ground over the other trees. Like I said, not the most fun for day one. Lol. Better times ahead hopefully!
View attachment 745229
View attachment 745233
View attachment 745235
View attachment 745230

90’ is a little sketchy out of a lift as opposed to the bucket?
70’ out of the Nifty lift sure did.
You just got to keep telling yourself, it ain’t going nowhere :dancing:

Back