whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, it’s going to be crazy for sure. That z fold is like 31’ 6” and can pick like 10,250lbs 10’ off the truck (minus grapple). I think it picks like 3200 or 3300 at full extension. Def going to be something to see!

I’m gonna be watching and waiting. This loader seems pretty cool. Three years I gotta replace my bucket and perhaps add a grapple so I can handle more wood

Especially when the dump site is 30 mins+ from the job site. And the guys decide to take a coffee stop adding another 10 mins. Before ya know it, it's a hour plus dump ride.

The chip truck part is really just an added benefit for me (and cool). The main thing is the log loading and hauling/towing capabilities.

Something like my ram 5500 with the 12’ chip body is really all we need for day to day operations. That truck can tow anything I have (lift, Giant, big chipper) plus a full load of chips (the legality of that may be questionable, but it does it). I think that truck was like 73k. Key investment in my opinion.

When’s the crane showing up? Last piece of the puzzle.....

Not sure how many crane jobs you do, but If you can park the log truck near the chipper, it’s the cat’s ass. Feed the chipper if you can’t put the pick right onto the infeed tray and load any logs that you may you cut off of a pick/butt log.

Always thinking towards the future, bud, you know how it is. The endless potential of this business with regards to equipment is what keeps it fresh for me. Incorporating a new piece of equipment into the business and the learning curve and eventual mastering of it is what it’s all about (for me). It’s basically how we grow as a business. (Not that you don’t know this, but just saying).

I’m alright with the slow progression of things (as long as I can see the progress).

Patience is a lesson I had to learn the hard way. I ran this thing for twelve and a half years without a drivers license. Talk about patience. Now I have a spotless class A and dot numbers. I am like the Vietnamese in that regard, you blow up my bridges and I’ll have them rebuilt the next day. I will never quit or surrender. Lol.:laugh:

Just got my Arborists certification study guide today. I'm interested in 80% of the chapters so they shouldn't be too too difficult. But the other 20% is gonna take a few extra weeks to understand/remember. I'm hoping to take the test in a few months. The next 2 months is real busy for me so I won't get much study time or tree work time till november

Just got my Arborists certification study guide today. I'm interested in 80% of the chapters so they shouldn't be too too difficult. But the other 20% is gonna take a few extra weeks to understand/remember. I'm hoping to take the test in a few months. The next 2 months is real busy for me so I won't get much study time or tree work time till november

The questions are taken directly from passages in the book if I remember correctly

The questions are taken directly from passages in the book if I remember correctly
Most are but there are a handful of commonsense/ process of elimination kinda questions then there are a few I honestly have no idea where I ever would have came across that info unless steered directly too it.... but only a couple no big deal. I read the book once reread the tree biology sections day b4 test and took the test and passed so not to difficult.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m starting to lose my patience with customers. On my voicemail I give full disclosure of our seven week backlog and that we don’t do firewood anymore. People still call me demanding to meet and I when I provide the quote they ask my backlog...[emoji848]
I remind them that I’m booking for late October and they get huffy and say “I can’t wait that long!”
I’m at the point where I’m not calling people back who I don’t have accounts with to save me the trouble.
Also thinking about possibly a face or neck tattoo to ward off people.

I’m starting to lose my patience with customers. On my voicemail I give full disclosure of our seven week backlog and that we don’t do firewood anymore. People still call me demanding to meet and I when I provide the quote they ask my backlog...[emoji848]
I remind them that I’m booking for late October and they get huffy and say “I can’t wait that long!”
I’m at the point where I’m not calling people back who I don’t have accounts with to save me the trouble.
Also thinking about possibly a face or neck tattoo to ward off people.
I know what you mean. We have moved more and more toward commercial work and away from residential since most homeowners just don't get it.
Around here, when they can't get it when they want it they hire the local moron squad who is always able to get there quick and end up with a mess.
Of course, they pretend they got just what they wanted and expected when anybody one brain cell short of being in a coma could see that wasn't the fact.
This business will make you hate people.

Did a couple pine removals last weekend and drug the logs/debris into the woods. No tall grass or thick underbrush but got chiggers pretty bad. Ankles and waist so far, I guess we'll see how far they spread.

Picked her up today

30af6f3516b2f04bd014ef76c04e3221.jpg

Damn , bro! She’s beautiful!! How big a box, how much hp, standard? Nice lookin rig!!!

Box is 6’high and 15’ long. The hp is lacking, only 225 I think but it’s geared extremely low. Six speed allison and the rear end is a 6.22.

I was gonna pm ya about putting wood in the back. How do you deal with putting plywood on the floor and walls and not destroy the sheets when dumping?

Box is 6’high and 15’ long. The hp is lacking, only 225 I think but it’s geared extremely low. Six speed allison and the rear end is a 6.22.

I was gonna pm ya about putting wood in the back. How do you deal with putting plywood on the floor and walls and not destroy the sheets when dumping?

We did my old International that way. My welder friend hooked us up. We just did the sides but used 3/4” pressure treated plywood with self tapping trailer decking screws (though the ply and into the supports from the inside). He marked the center of the Support’s out and then snapped chalk lines so it was pretty easy not to **** up lol. He had nice sharp drill bits for us to pre-drill Before the self tapping trailer decking screws too. Works wonders man, that box still has no dents.

We did my old International that way. My welder friend hooked us up. We just did the sides but used 3/4” pressure treated plywood with self tapping trailer decking screws (though the ply and into the supports from the inside). He marked the center of the Support’s out and then snapped chalk lines so it was pretty easy not to **** up lol. He had nice sharp drill bits for us to pre-drill Before the self tapping trailer decking screws too. Works wonders man, that box still has no dents.

That was steel correct? This is made out of beer cans.

I’m still waiting on my log truck. Now I have more jobs that I bid planning to have it for. I tell you, it’s going to be great to be done with the major equipment purchases after this for a while. Nothing like getting a brand new gazillon dollar truck right before winter... let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. I’m sure it’ll all be worth it, but Jesus...

Back