whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that Muni work? With all the schit you got now you need to talk it up to some Muni s for winter. Nobody can out equipment you if you can get a crane guy with a phone call.

Just a regular customer with a large property that was kind enough to let us pile some wood up while waiting for the truck to be built.

I’m not really into that whole town work thing. I’ve thought about it, and if (and when) the madness we got going on lately ever calms down I might look into it. Whatever it takes to survive, I suppose.

Thankfully we’ve got a great crane guy. He’s a little crabby from time to time, but that’s just part of his charm I guess lol. Definitely knows his ****, that’s for sure.

Thanks for the compliment on the equipment. I’m not gonna lie, it’s a little bit scary, but I guess if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

My mind wants to race ahead and pay this and that off, but then I realize it’s kind of time to just stop and try to enjoy where I’m at for now.

Pretty cool stepping out of the 75 footer in the driveway and then right into the 90 footer already set up in the backyard. Something I would’ve never even dreamed possible a handful of years ago.

My main guy called Monday morning to tell me he got exposed to a positive covid case saturday. I told him to stay home, get tested and file for unemployment for the interim. I hope he tests negative since he has repeated health issues and probably won’t fair well if he is infected.

My main guy called Monday morning to tell me he got exposed to a positive covid case saturday. I told him to stay home, get tested and file for unemployment for the interim. I hope he tests negative since he has repeated health issues and probably won’t fair well if he is infected.

That old line? Lol.

No, I hear you. Is some pretty serious ****. I know I probably wouldn’t do well if infected myself. I keep thinking it’s a race between how long my luck can hold out and when the vaccine comes through. Not a good feeling.

What’s shocking to me is the level of carelessness from people. The person he was exposed to knew he was exposed, got tested, but didn’t tell anyone in the meantime. I mean, why not just ****ing wait a couple days and watch some Netflix?

First time chipping into the beast today. Truck was downhill, but chipper had no trouble filling the back/top. Was a pleasure putting the top on (now that I can run the loader better) too. I thought it’d be more of a fiasco, but there’s really nothing to it, couple sets of eyes and one guy on a 6’ step ladder. Lot of equipment moving and set up today, but we should fill her up pretty quick tomorrow. Probably a couple times (maybe). We’re just flopping spruce trees and sending them through. Dump on site.
59105A52-1353-451A-8ABF-D6FCE40C7A44.jpeg3B2F0139-ECE0-4BCC-985C-541491BE7165.jpeg

Been fixing my bucket truck... 1st pic is all fixed up, 2nd is what I had, 3rd is what every other 97' topkick has.

Napa couldn't get a pump, nor did they know what I had. The other trucks I looked at had accumulators on the steering boxes that I didn't have. So I ordered a gm type 2 w/ pulley and bracket for a small block, fabricated a bracket to adapt the small block to a large block, found a new belt, and made a hydraulic hose & fitting. Having a welder in the basement saved me (4th pic).

Attachments

• 20201204_115730.jpg
    20201204_115730.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20201115_090804.jpg
    20201115_090804.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 20201115_090324.jpg
    20201115_090324.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20201204_115736.jpg
    20201204_115736.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
New and even more heavily armored MDS in house, baby! Lol. Managed to get two full loads and empty truck hooked back up to chipper for next time. So bummed we got rain and maybe even snow tomorrow. We were killing this place. This job is like a treeman’s paradise at this point. Just pull over like six or seven of these spruce with the tractor winch, then hop in giant and stuff em in the chipper. Good stuff.
3B5E8BF9-0F7E-4A40-A557-DD717FF7A781.jpegDE63572D-4916-47D0-BAEE-643286215C54.jpeg530C1799-C229-40B0-9412-F90217BAD837.jpegA86A481C-A64A-45C6-A8BC-41C2BB4EAD89.jpeg

First time chipping into the beast today. Truck was downhill, but chipper had no trouble filling the back/top. Was a pleasure putting the top on (now that I can run the loader better) too. I thought it’d be more of a fiasco, but there’s really nothing to it, couple sets of eyes and one guy on a 6’ step ladder. Lot of equipment moving and set up today, but we should fill her up pretty quick tomorrow. Probably a couple times (maybe). We’re just flopping spruce trees and sending them through. Dump on site.
View attachment 871696View attachment 871697
Your guys have nightmares about plywood sheets?

And since you are richer than God now and like the Zig Zag try the Zillion adjustable lanyard device with it. You won't believe how nice it is to feed out some line a few inches when you need it.

Your guys have nightmares about plywood sheets?

And since you are richer than God now and like the Zig Zag try the Zillion adjustable lanyard device with it. You won't believe how nice it is to feed out some line a few inches when you need it.
Lol. oh, yeah. I can fit two stacks end to end in the new truck.:laugh:

Took out a couple pretty large Ash. Spent 2-3 hours cleaning up twigs! Even with the BMG rake.

Here's the bigger one being felled:

Had a pretty serious codom. When we notched it we realized it was still split all the way down. Ended up using the GRCS strap, a chain, and sling to guy it together. It was a little bit nerve wracking but it came down nice.

Ash the only tree that takes more time to clean up than get on the ground, nice drop! Wellsboro is a great place to do tree work, beautiful country!

Look at you! living the dream!! good time to be a treeguy. Im building a hook lift chip truck should be ready in early spring

I started out looking at hook lifts. Eventually it just morphed into this thing. I think I did alright overall. Pretty crazy having a full on log loader. Nice to have a new addition to the fleet too.

It is a good time to be a tree guy. Just a lot of stress always trying to make moves. I just feel like I need a vacation... not a busy winter (which is what it’s looking like). Omg, do I hate winter!! Oh, well. No rest for the wicked, I guess.

Glad to hear you’re doing well!!

I started out looking at hook lifts. Eventually it just morphed into this thing. I think I did alright overall. Pretty crazy having a full on log loader. Nice to have a new addition to the fleet too.

It is a good time to be a tree guy. Just a lot of stress always trying to make moves. I just feel like I need a vacation... not a busy winter (which is what it’s looking like). Omg, do I hate winter!! Oh, well. No rest for the wicked, I guess.

Glad to hear you’re doing well!!
Timberland truck is building it, its on a new Freightliner and is gonna be a 25k lbs hook with a 16' chip box. I thought about a log boom but I think this truck will be more versatile. I need something I can load the mini in hook up the chipper and go.
yeah its been a long year I'm still trying to get caught up but that never seems to happen. It does look like the winter might be slower so hopefully I can get some free time to hang out in this joint again, its been a while.

That sounds like it’s gonna be a really nice truck. So you would load logs into the chip box with the mini, or do you have a separate truck you use for wood?

Those minis are handy in that they’re so easy to transport. I’m a little jealous of that. I’ve got so much stuff to move around now that I’m pretty much resigned to driving equipment around half the day anyway (sometimes). Is what it is. There are definitely worse problems to have.

Did you ever look into the JMAC setup?

Yeah, I looked at their site a bit and thought about them. It just seemed like they had a little bit too much going on with the dumping and the arch over the rear and all that . They’re definitely cool though, just not something I wanted to take a chance on.

Back