ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

whadja do today?

mike515

mike515

ArboristSite Operative
What state are you in? What percent are you paying? I'm dying to know where the "magical cow kingdom" is!

I'm paying about 22% in PA.

I am in Iowa. My current rate is 13.91% and it's set to go up to over 14% in May. My rate with the new place would be 9.31% but because of claims history I would basically get a discount to bring it down to 8.94%.

mikewhite85

mikewhite85

ArboristSite Guru
I am in Iowa. My current rate is 13.91% and it's set to go up to over 14% in May. My rate with the new place would be 9.31% but because of claims history I would basically get a discount to bring it down to 8.94%.
Good deal!!

The difference in rates by state is astounding. We used to pay close to 50 in California.

mike515

mike515

ArboristSite Operative
Good deal!!

The difference in rates by state is astounding. We used to pay close to 50 in California.

I know a lot of companies have it worse than we do so I try to keep that in mind. It's pretty crazy. I just wish everyone around my area was playing by the same rules. I know with almost 100% certainty that none of the competition in my entire county carries work comp. Most are paying guys cash. We pay the most (as far as I know) and that drives our work comp cost that much higher. There is even a guy around here who has 3 or 4 foster kids who he gets paid to take care of (by the state) and I've seen them working on his jobs plenty of times. I mean.....last fall....we're talking about major storm response with trees all over houses and cars and this guy has his crew of 11-12 year old kids out there working in shorts with no PPE. That is not ok. I bet he has better work comp rates than any of us!

I get a little pissed off thinking about that kind of stuff but then I tell myself......we're the oldest company in our area, we do things the right way, people know that, just worry about us.