whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re gonna have to put out 100 sheets of plywood, at least get paid well for it. Made three (top) days pay in two on this cake walk (other than the equipment jam). Gets to be a drain on my mind moving all this stuff around a place sometimes, but was worth it. Yesterday was a pretty late one just getting everything back. Nice way to start the week anyway.
EB09834D-FF31-456A-B7E1-2FE535715A80.jpeg
1AFC2B24-BA81-4AC5-99C2-E27E3549231D.jpeg

Put this little contest on FB to get some more local likes to my page! We did one previously with guessing log weight and it had a great response.

Other than that one of my guys ran over one of the 201s with the truck AND chipper! Yikes! Glad it was an older one. The local shop retails them now for 700. Funny thing is I once bought a new ms200t for 500 something not long before the 201's came out.

Hate it when that happens! Always had a hard time convincing the crew to stop leaning rakes, scoop shovels, etc up against the truck. A few of them were flattened/broken over the years.

I haven't been around here much lately. Been super busy with our tree crews and working hard on getting my tree nursery and sales wing up to full speed. My expectation on tree sales is being blown away. I was expecting a small/decent amount of new tree sales this year. I am working with people on windbreaks, full new orchards, large "park-like settings", etc. plus a bunch of people who just want 2 or 3 new trees. I sold 20+ trees today just by answering my phone. I don't know how things are where you guys live but I'm the only guy selling trees within my immediate area. Other tree companies are now coming to me to buy trees for customers. Maybe some of you guys have a good opportunity to make something like this work out. I've spent a lot of money on land and other things to make this happen but it's working and it's working a lot better than I imagined it would.

I came up with this idea because I've been a tree guy for my entire life and I don't want to be one of the guys who ends up with a broken body in the end. I'm already beat up enough but I really feel pretty great most days now. I do tree work some days, I supervise/train people some days, I work on equipment some days (which I love doing), I work in the office some days, I sell and plant trees, etc. We're moving into landscaping supplies, etc. It's possibly the most rewarding era of my career right now.

I was actually ground cutting brush, thorn bushes and small trees yesterday. Just like a small yard expansion type deal. I was actually surprised at how quick it’s going. I bid it for a few days (thinking it’d go faster) but we’re almost done after the first day. Rare when that happens.

Almost therapeutic. My mind veered off and I thought I was a lawn guy for a second there, brush sawing the smaller stuff and pole sawing some lower deadwood. Was kinda nice. Lol.

I walked out a bunch of new trails we will be cutting into these woods later this year. Then I did some TLC to this Freightliner dump truck that I bought recently. I kind of like being there by myself on a weekend and working on equipment. I am planning on putting a chip box on this truck but the bed it has now has fold-down sides that make it really nice for loading for our nursery so I may leave it the way it is for a while and see what I want to do later. I can easily load that truck with 10 or 20 trees, a pallet or two of chips and still pull a tractor on a trailer.....if I ever find the tractor I want.

I rarely post much but always here. Thought I would just post some pic's of a eucalyptus we took out the other day. We closed the street, the tree was 150' from the crane, it was 82' tall behind the house. We brought in a 100 ton crane and we were done in 3 hours. View attachment 903298View attachment 903299View attachment 903300View attachment 903301View attachment 903302View attachment 903303View attachment 903304View attachment 903306View attachment 903308View attachment 903309

What does it cost to shut down a street in cali?

A lot,,lol,,luckily we worked it from inside the HOA and scheduled it with the property management, so nothing this time. In the last pic, you can see a block wall and the the city street on the other side is a three lane road with a speed limit of 50mph. That would of been perfect but permits and traffic control would cost a fortune and probably several weeks to get approved.
Jeff

I'm glad I don't live in an area where it costs me anything to shut down a street. If I'm going to entirely close a street, I usually call the city a day or two in advance to let them know. If it's a four lane road and I want to use one lane, I don't even call them. We just put out signs and cones, hit our strobe lights and close that lane of traffic. It's never been a problem. But I've known some of the city guys for a lot of years. The director of the public works dept. and I used to work together at the city parks dept. in the summers when I was in high school.

I rarely post much but always here. Thought I would just post some pic's of a eucalyptus we took out the other day. We closed the street, the tree was 150' from the crane, it was 82' tall behind the house. We brought in a 100 ton crane and we were done in 3 hours. View attachment 903298View attachment 903299View attachment 903300View attachment 903301View attachment 903302View attachment 903303View attachment 903304View attachment 903306View attachment 903308View attachment 903309
What a reach! Good work! Nice looking euc. Why did they want to remove it?

Latest posts

Back