whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to hear what you guys have to say about a conversation I had with my saw dealer today. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I haven't paid a lot of attention to this for a while. A post that I recently made here reminded me that I wanted to make a bunch of new 14" trim saw chains. So yesterday I took a roll of chain, split it to length for a bunch of chains....only to realize that box was .050. We probably have 10 or more trim saws that we've bought in the last year or two and all of them are .043.

The kicker is that we've been breaking those factory chains more often than we ever have before. A friend of mine checked one of his older trim saws and he has .050 on that saw. I talked to my saw guy today and he told me there is this trend to move to thinner, smaller chain because it's supposed to be more efficient. I think that's a bunch of crap. I get that a thinner chain takes a smaller bite but that doesn't even matter to me. The bigger issue is heat.

I feel like there are 3 options. Keep the .043 and deal with it, buy a bunch of .050 bars and put our own chain on them or tell our dealer that we aren't buying saws with the smaller chain.

I really hate to be a **** about this but we buy a lot of saws from this place and I feel like this never should have been a problem. But they usually treat us very well so I want to be diplomatic.

What do you guys think?

I want to hear what you guys have to say about a conversation I had with my saw dealer today. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I haven't paid a lot of attention to this for a while. A post that I recently made here reminded me that I wanted to make a bunch of new 14" trim saw chains. So yesterday I took a roll of chain, split it to length for a bunch of chains....only to realize that box was .050. We probably have 10 or more trim saws that we've bought in the last year or two and all of them are .043.

The kicker is that we've been breaking those factory chains more often than we ever have before. A friend of mine checked one of his older trim saws and he has .050 on that saw. I talked to my saw guy today and he told me there is this trend to move to thinner, smaller chain because it's supposed to be more efficient. I think that's a bunch of crap. I get that a thinner chain takes a smaller bite but that doesn't even matter to me. The bigger issue is heat.

I feel like there are 3 options. Keep the .043 and deal with it, buy a bunch of .050 bars and put our own chain on them or tell our dealer that we aren't buying saws with the smaller chain.

I really hate to be a **** about this but we buy a lot of saws from this place and I feel like this never should have been a problem. But they usually treat us very well so I want to be diplomatic.

What do you guys think?
Bummer.

The length of chain did not cost you a lot. Keeping the relationship healthy is a lot more valuable than trying to save a few bucks.

Personally I like the .043 chain on our trim saws (ms194's). I tried putting .050 on it did cut slower.

Fun spruce removals yesterday. We craned the first one and felled the other two. I couldn't believe the plume of pollen when the one on the right hit the ground.

1620430211510.png

Mark is 61 years old. His style is very old school but he pretty much sets the pace!
1620430230855.png

Cabled a few the other day too...
1620430373585.png

You tree cutting suns a bitches make any money this year yet with all your 500k+ in iron or are just standing around holding each other’s peckers in hand?

The spray season has been good boys. Come into the water, it be fresh and clean…..

lol, glad to see all have been well…..

Fun spruce removals yesterday. We craned the first one and felled the other two. I couldn't believe the plume of pollen when the one on the right hit the ground.

View attachment 905581

Mark is 61 years old. His style is very old school but he pretty much sets the pace!
View attachment 905582

Cabled a few the other day too...
View attachment 905583
We took out 3 spruce yesterday too and pollen had my guy sneezing his ass off. You all seem to go for that Rig Guy no bolt cable stuff.

You tree cutting suns a bitches make any money this year yet with all your 500k+ in iron or are just standing around holding each other’s peckers in hand?

The spray season has been good boys. Come into the water, it be fresh and clean…..

lol, glad to see all have been well…..

If you’re referring to me, I’ve actually got over a million in equipment now. But who’s counting, right?:laugh:I just know it’s some bad ass **** to operate every day.

Glad to hear the spray business is good as well.

If you’re referring to me, I’ve actually got over a million in equipment now. But who’s counting, right?:laugh:I just know it’s some bad ass **** to operate every day.

Glad to hear the spray business is good as well.

Nah, I was just feeling feisty last night. You have some of the nicest stuff around, and I never think twice about referring you.

The new brothers in town been impacting you much? I lost a few to them lately.

Nah, I was just feeling feisty last night. You have some of the nicest stuff around, and I never think twice about referring you.

The new brothers in town been impacting you much? I lost a few to them lately.

The only thing they’ve picked up from me is table scraps, stuff I was too lazy or overwhelmed to deal with. They’re apparently making the moves though. Brian better be careful. Lol. War of the dingos. Lmao.

Anybody ever try one of these to connect hydraulic couplings?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273213012284
The seller, Paul, is local to me and seems like a good, straight forward guy. I bought 3 mini attachments off him last year. I looked at this tool when at his store and it seems like it would work good. Most new skidsteers have a built in relief valve in the coupler hookup on the machine. So I’m not sure if you’ll need it often, but you’ll never be fighting couplers with this tool.

The seller, Paul, is local to me and seems like a good, straight forward guy. I bought 3 mini attachments off him last year. I looked at this tool when at his store and it seems like it would work good. Most new skidsteers have a built in relief valve in the coupler hookup on the machine. So I’m not sure if you’ll need it often, but you’ll never be fighting couplers with this tool.

We’ve generally gotten the coupler thing dialed in with my Giant, but with the hotter, more sunny weather coming that’s when it can be worse. Occasionally, if left out in sun, the couplers lock right up, like a big dude can’t even get it to budge. It’s rare, but that’s when I’ll have to take a coupler off to release the pressure. Do you think that tool could push through that without breaking? If it could I would buy one.

We’ve generally gotten the coupler thing dialed in with my Giant, but with the hotter, more sunny weather coming that’s when it can be worse. Occasionally, if left out in sun, the couplers lock right up, like a big dude can’t even get it to budge. It’s rare, but that’s when I’ll have to take a coupler off to release the pressure. Do you think that tool could push through that without breaking? If it could I would buy one.
no idea yet

My Dingo can be a ***** sometimes and sometimes it isn't. It has a relief procedure but not consistent. Haven't put a hyd implement on my new Bobcat (new to me, a 2019 with 1k hrs) but getting a grapple today.
Was just about to buy a grapple from Bobcat for $4700. plus 7.8 sls tx. Quick Attach implements sent me a quote/invoice of $6400 for one lol. My lot neighbor out of the blue says I have a grapple that came with my BCat that I never use. Sold it to me for $700. yesterday and it is dirty but flawless and perfect. I am certain it is made better than after market too. It still has remnants of the Bobcat tiger logo on it. Man I have been fkn lucky lately! I told a guy that yesterday and he said "run with it". I am.

Latest posts

Back