whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, Mike. I feel ya.

Those guys are super frustrating but you wont be able to beat them at their own game. Just keep doing what you're doing while they run themselves out of business. Don't worry about them.

There's always a market where people are looking for quality over price.

I know. It just kind of feels good to come up with a plan like that once in a while. I do think I can beat them at their own game but I think it's probably still better to be the local "A Team". I got beat by two bids on a removal tonight. The customer is really worried about the grass/landscaping. There are also 3 utility lines under the trees. GTC wants to have lines taken down and presumably bomb everything into the yard. I was like "Yes....we're a little more expensive but I'm going to put a crane here, a bucket there and a chipper over here and nothing is going to touch your landscaping" and we can do it with lines up and hot...no problem. Just have to frame the conversation. But I still might take all the super easy stuff out of play. That's a good idea.

Going to look at this little beast tomorrow.
View attachment 911693
https://www.hackenbergequipment.com...s?dlr=1&dscompanyid=45454&settingscrmid=45454
I think 15,900 is a decent deal for a 48hp machine. Will put a root grapple on the front and farmi winch on back.

I sub a guy with a similarly set up John deere a couple says a week for 65 per hour but it would be nice to have something of my own besides the 25hp mini skid.
I'm looking for something maybe just a little smaller than that to put an auger on the back of for planting trees (at least getting the holes mostly started). I like the idea of an auger on the back and a smaller bucket/grapple on the front.

I never thought I’d say it but I’m getting tired of just being so damn busy that I can’t keep up. It sucks when you try your best but you’re still letting your people down. I’m sure someday I’ll eat these words, but for now, just saying.

Poison ivy or chigger bites...don't know which is worse. Add heat, humidity, torrential downpours and we have the worse cicada infestation in history...lovely. They buzz when they run into you, when you grab a log they squish into yellow gook. They crawl up your pants, down your neck or up your sleeves...and you don't always really feel them until they buzz later. Got home and felt something flutter its wings under my shirt in the middle of my back. Coulda been a hornet. Threw off my shirt and stepped on it and a big crunch...cicada.

1623407573060.png1623407632005.png

We are buried in work too for as far back as I have ever been. Add 6 rain days in the last three weeks and a National Holiday and working on a job that seems to have no end (at whatever I want to charge) and no catch up in the foreseeable future. Bank account looks nice though so I am double paying every loan (bout the same number I usually carry til paid) so I can take off the entire winter. I quit my only (large one) snow plowing account because I hate it. Prob do some travelling this winter as wife and I can fly for free, she a former Delta employee. Might be something to look forward to if the Dem and China biological weapon attack virus wanes. Picture the Vet and wifey on a beautiful beach lounging in the sun with a cold cocktail in his hand.

We are buried in work too for as far back as I have ever been. Add 6 rain days in the last three weeks and a National Holiday and working on a job that seems to have no end (at whatever I want to charge) and no catch up in the foreseeable future. Bank account looks nice though so I am double paying every loan (bout the same number I usually carry til paid) so I can take off the entire winter. I quit my only (large one) snow plowing account because I hate it. Prob do some travelling this winter as wife and I can fly for free, she a former Delta employee. Might be something to look forward to if the Dem and China biological weapon attack virus wanes. Picture the Vet and wifey on a beautiful beach lounging in the sun with a cold cocktail in his hand.

Lol… for some reason I’m picturing the whitest legs known to mankind. Lmao. “Takes one to know one”.

and white feet...real white

I'll quit double posting now..hit 8k posts lol

I don't climb in shorts but I do wear them all the time and my feet are really white compared to my arms and legs. I get super tan in the summer.

Also...I wasn't making the point last night that I'm worried about GTC beating me on bids. I'm not. We have a pretty dedicated long-term customer base. I don't think they can really affect me very much. I am just sick of seeing all of them, hearing (rehearing) all the stupid stuff they say to customers as if they are some kind of authority after doing this job for 7 or 8 months and reading all the stuff they post on the community page about how people should trust the "pros" for their work when some of us have probably forgot more about this job than all of them know collectively. It's more annoying than anything so my idea to take all of the easy work off the table is just because sometimes I'm an *sshole and I can do it if I want to....so maybe I want to. Maybe not.

I don't climb in shorts but I do wear them all the time and my feet are really white compared to my arms and legs. I get super tan in the summer.

Also...I wasn't making the point last night that I'm worried about GTC beating me on bids. I'm not. We have a pretty dedicated long-term customer base. I don't think they can really affect me very much. I am just sick of seeing all of them, hearing (rehearing) all the stupid stuff they say to customers as if they are some kind of authority after doing this job for 7 or 8 months and reading all the stuff they post on the community page about how people should trust the "pros" for their work when some of us have probably forgot more about this job than all of them know collectively. It's more annoying than anything so my idea to take all of the easy work off the table is just because sometimes I'm an *sshole and I can do it if I want to....so maybe I want to. Maybe not.
Part of the problem are some ho's (homeowners) who are dumb enough to grasp at any opinion that saves them a few bucks and consider them "tree experts, arborists" when the only knowledge they have is a quick google probably asking the wrong question in the first place.

Back yard boogie, baby!! Lol. The 250 is beautiful for stuff like this (hyd chute is a nice feature). Even better when they don’t mind broadcasting the chips and want every little piece of round wood left as firewood.

No jet skiing this weekend, I guess. Good thing I’d rather feel like a bad ass old mofo running a tree job lol.
BF11A01C-5C4A-4D10-94F4-0585FF3DEF60.jpeg6BB3655F-5772-461C-8434-D1DC4D8D12D3.jpegA0EED9AC-71DF-42AD-9D8B-B06CBFAA474D.jpegE4A516A1-6F4C-46DB-B0B8-C05BC1D115E9.jpeg

We were gonna take off today too given 95 degrees and fkn cicadas driving us nuts esp while cutting. But I gets a call at 9 pm a reg client is out of town and the giant ash shed a leader and is embedded in their arbor structure. Go look at it and figure it out. Anything on a structure is an insurance claim and insurance knows anytime crane is mentioned it is gonna cost. But my policy is I get paid on completion and they collect from the ins co from my invoice. Soooo 9 am to noon today and $2800. Come back in the next few weeks and td the giant 120' ash...$10k. Cha fkn ching. No rest for the wicked.

Show up at job with Mack cab over 18' chipdump truck and Vermeer BC 2000 20" chipper 200 hp turbo diesel Cummins, Brand new F550 dump with 12' Sure Trac dump trailer. Chip brush after stripping it and logs. Take chipper back to lot while we bring in the 550 and dump trailer. Get crano after dropping off Mack and chipper. Back 25 ton rear mount 100' reach crane (not incl jib) National 990 on Ford L9000 up to end of drive near piece. Boom logs in trailer, boom stem stuck in gazebo off and load. Blow off with biggest back pack blower after raking, the one you can start while it is on your back. Done deal. No need to bring the tx1000 grapple dingo or the s650 Bobcat with grapple today. Pick up check on front porch tomorrow when they get back in town.

We were gonna take off today too given 95 degrees and fkn cicadas driving us nuts esp while cutting. But I gets a call at 9 pm a reg client is out of town and the giant ash shed a leader and is embedded in their arbor structure. Go look at it and figure it out. Anything on a structure is an insurance claim and insurance knows anytime crane is mentioned it is gonna cost. But my policy is I get paid on completion and they collect from the ins co from my invoice. Soooo 9 am to noon today and $2800. Come back in the next few weeks and td the giant 120' ash...$10k. Cha fkn ching. No rest for the wicked.
Dude your eyes must be going! in the one video your crane is at like 20 degrees and you are halfway up that tree that thing is barely 50 feet tall, lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hey **** for brains...I will make you a thousand dollar internet bet that tree over 100 feet tall. If you can't get the money let me have your mom's ph# so I can get the money from her to put up. It may be over 120' but just gonna go with the bet at 100'. C'mon internet blowhard...Shitcago is only 4 hour drive from here. Be worth it to you. You show up here, I will show you $1k cash, you show me $1k, we get somebody to hold it all and you go home crying like a little *****. I will even go up to the top on my crane. Put up or shut up. Plenty of witnesses on here. Where is your flapper now?

Hey **** for brains...I will make you a thousand dollar internet bet that tree over 100 feet tall. If you can't get the money let me have your mom's ph# so I can get the money from her to put up. It may be over 120' but just gonna go with the bet at 100'. C'mon internet blowhard...Shitcago is only 4 hour drive from here. Be worth it to you. You show up here, I will show you $1k cash, you show me $1k, we get somebody to hold it all and you go home crying like a little *****. I will even go up to the top on my crane. Put up or shut up. Plenty of witnesses on here. Where is your flapper now?

Lol
I'll just borrow 1k from my cat
e2c7866f352e71d932fcf0a6d7e3ee7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back