whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I sold $12,700, maybe $18,200 today (depending on if the last one comes through) while riding around in my shorts. Not bad for a “day off”.
I once sold a $9,750 job while wandering around in my shorts...shorts as in boxer shorts. Not bad for a drunk guy on his day off. It was during our annual block party where we used to live back in the 90's. Then, to top that off, the people gave me a boat after the job was finished...just gave it to to me. I had to spend about $1,000 on it but we used it trouble free for a couple of years and then sold it for $4,500.

Back to business, does anyone’s employees actually impress them? Or are the mostly just almost good but generally disappointing personal ?

I have guys I like a lot. I'm happy with where everyone is right now and moving forward. I just had a few conversations with guys about my vision for them, how important they are to our company and what I expect from them (and what they can expect from the company).

So we have some good people but......my youngest son? For those of you who don't know, this is the only job I've had for my entire adult life. I am easily the best in my area and second place isn't close. My youngest son is 23. He's been around this for his whole life. He's a little cocky but still serious. He's pretty good but he will be a lot better in a number of years. I was talking to a friend a while back who is a retired tree guy (who I trained years ago...and he's known my son for his entire life). I told him that my youngest son is the only guy I've ever trained who I thought could one day be as good as I am at this job. He pisses me off sometimes and sometimes he bites off a little more than he can chew but we all learn as we go. We butt heads once in a while but, when it really matters, he will back down and do things my way. People in our company sometimes say "That's old lion vs. young lion". That doesn't happen often but he is a younger version of me. Looks just like me, super nice guy to customers and a f*cking prick when he wants to be. He knows that I expect him to eventually run our residential side.

I once sold a $9,750 job while wandering around in my shorts...shorts as in boxer shorts. Not bad for a drunk guy on his day off. It was during our annual block party where we used to live back in the 90's. Then, to top that off, the people gave me a boat after the job was finished...just gave it to to me. I had to spend about $1,000 on it but we used it trouble free for a couple of years and then sold it for $4,500.
hope no skid marks on them shorts :happybanana:

Not looking forward to today. It’s supposed to rain/storm and we’re about a third of the way through that back yard job I put up pics of the other day. Plywood everywhere (as usual) that has to come up hopefully later this morning. Between the plywood that’s been down since Friday and this new storm damaged oak job I picked up (two thirds flomped off hanging in trees with no crane access) and the last third leaning right for the pool/house, greyhounds, etc. ready to go at any time, looks like it’s rain gear thirty for The MDS.

Not looking forward to today. It’s supposed to rain/storm and we’re about a third of the way through that back yard job I put up pics of the other day. Plywood everywhere (as usual) that has to come up hopefully later this morning. Between the plywood that’s been down since Friday and this new storm damaged oak job I picked up (two thirds flomped off hanging in trees with no crane access) and the last third leaning right for the pool/house, greyhounds, etc. ready to go at any time, looks like it’s rain gear thirty for The MDS.
Greyhound busses or doggies lol?

Good. Mo mats fo me.
One of my crane subs backed his 50 tonner in on my durateck mats on soggy ground in a front yard. Left and after blowing no evidence he was there at all....not to mention first pick over the house was 8k. I bought 30 4x8 used mats from a rental place for less than $200 each. But they aren't worth sheeite without the poles and as a 2 man job sliding them onto a very low trailer and off. We used them today , we use them most days. Plyboard sucks dich.

I’ve never used the mats but I can see different areas where one would be better than the other. If I were backing in heavy stuff like a crane all the time, mats for sure. I actually want a handful with the tread on both sides for real steep hills with the spider (plywood can slide, although rare).

Generally the stuff I’m putting on lawns is relatively light, lift is 11,500 and on tracks, so floats over wet super mint lawns on 3/4” plywood. The Giant is about the same weight (unloaded) and on the wide oscillating tires, so that’s not too bad either.

Question, can you put like 25 mats on forks and drive them around a property with slopes without the whole stack sliding off? Cuz I’ve heard that can be annoying. Lol

I pull em around with my little 4 by 4 nissan frontier pickup on a small 3500 # single axle trailer that you can turn around by hand when empty. But putting them out so they slide on mats and taking them up with the last one first so it slides all the way back on mats with 2 guys on each mat with the handles pictured above is pretty fast and easy. They don't degrade is one of the biggest positives.

Well..................what happened?

We finished our other job today (got the plywood all up Monday) and started the oak around 3:00. Today. Secured one of the side leads hanging in the other trees and on privacy fence and cut and tossed the big sail top there down to a harmless enough log for tonight. Some quick pics I took while working on it.

No lawns or greyhounds (the doggies) were harmed.
148D015D-760C-4772-88F9-47270A74D859.jpeg2F54FF4D-5C27-44DF-9D4D-9D85AB0F6D70.jpegA6FA5F5A-66DD-4810-833C-5391090853EC.jpeg8895584B-AB83-4A6E-ACEE-5FF34CBCA01F.jpegBFFC32C5-9CD5-4C54-889C-CF46BAB86FE1.jpeg

Back