whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little baffled by the inclusion of 14 new Ohio counties in which no EAB infestations have been discovered. From the Ohio Department of Agriculture press release:
"While the invasive pest has not been detected in the following 14 counties, the department issues this quarantine to make the movement of ash trees, parts of ash trees and all hardwood firewood more practical among counties that are adjacent to previously quarantined areas."
I thought that was the purpose of the quarantine; to slow the spread by restricting wood movement. Maybe Ohio knows they'll be underfunded and have chosen to throw in the towel. I'm sure the firewood guys whom I've blasted for ignoring the quarantine are having a good laugh.
Whatever,
Phil

I'm a little baffled by the inclusion of 14 new Ohio counties in which no EAB infestations have been discovered. From the Ohio Department of Agriculture press release:
"While the invasive pest has not been detected in the following 14 counties, the department issues this quarantine to make the movement of ash trees, parts of ash trees and all hardwood firewood more practical among counties that are adjacent to previously quarantined areas."
I thought that was the purpose of the quarantine; to slow the spread by restricting wood movement. Maybe Ohio knows they'll be underfunded and have chosen to throw in the towel. I'm sure the firewood guys whom I've blasted for ignoring the quarantine are having a good laugh.
Whatever,
Phil

Nobody ever enforced those quarantines anyway Phil. Plus it is kinda unrealistic to think a little island county in the midst of an ocean of infestation will somehow remain a virgin.

Underfunding or no funding and throwing in the towel is par for the course you are right.

As for the Arborjet (EmBen) which is almost a 100% safeguard.....the cost is astounding ($525 plus per liter chem alone) and has anyone (besides JPS) seen the cavernous injection hole? In the long run even with 3 year treatments, this has to have an impact.

I did see, on two separate occasions, trailer loads of slab wood tagged with quarantine tags sitting beside a major highway so at least in those cases someone was doing their job. With the first infestation in 2002, it's been 7 or 8 years and my county was still EAB free despite being between tow major east west corridors; Rt 90 and the Ohio Turnpike. Seems to me the quarantine was doing some good in slowing the spread. I guess it's naive to think the people will fight the good fight and do the right thing. About 5 years ago I was talking to an entomologist from Michigan about EAB. She was elated that she had just received funding that would keep her working all summer. I asked her what she was doing and she said that she went out and looked at dead trees. When I asked her about stopping the spread she told me "oh, we can't stop it but I'm happy to be working" I guess I shouldn't expect much but my father use to tell me "if you know the right thing to do then do the right thing" Seemed simpler when he said it.
Phil

Deb McCullough...Michigan researcher

I know a researcher at Ohio State and he just cut down his last ash.

What county are you in Phil?

Deb McCullough...Michigan researcher

I know a researcher at Ohio State and he just cut down his last ash.

What county are you in Phil?
No, not her. This girl dated my nephew and I'd have to hear her name again to remember it. I'm in Geauga county, which borders on Cuyahoga.
Phil

oh. just saw the butt log. not chipping that i guess. lol

What you saw wasn't the but log. This is it and it measured right at ground 9'. Like I said, it was a big old boy at one time. Not an ounce of decay in the flush.
attachment.php

We are doing the grinding without clean up for free. My equipment lot is right next door and they have let me dump chips there. Nice to give a little away once and a while. We get paid for the other tree work.
attachment.php

Heavy artillery brought in.

Its good for winter. It would be in the way if it was busy season. Gives me a chance to add some shots to my website where the guy just said he would give me a free new page for paying dues.

Did you collect any insurance for the stolen 200's?

Yesterday was a coupe more ash deadwooding around some McMansions on Pewaukee lake. Another big spreader, but not as bad as Tuesdays but-kicker. I spent a bit more time then predicted on that one so this time I had to snap a lot of it off and fugetabout the stubs.

I had a second line set, and fishpoled, in the smaller adjacent ash so I could transfer with a single ascender, and rig out of the tree I had just left. The smaller tree should probably have been removed while it was still in good shape, the neighbors edifice-complex abode did a number on the roots and base. Lots of defensive die-back and lower sprouting. Most of which I was required to remove because it was "ugly" to the Mrs.

Next week we have a final visit for one last medium-large ash and a huge basswood. Thse big basswood always make me nervous, getting into. They always have a lot of deacy, and I can see storm-damaged leads that you can see light through the squirrel holes.

when the going gets tough the tough get going Doc. Good tanning weather and good weather to get noticed when all the soft types are inside (watching cricket lol).

Not likely to get any sympathy on hot weather around this side of the pond.

Its good for winter. It would be in the way if it was busy season. Gives me a chance to add some shots to my website where the guy just said he would give me a free new page for paying dues.

Did you collect any insurance for the stolen 200's?

I will get them both back after the case is over...They were stolen out of my tool box in the back of my truck @ a walmart parking lot....I ran in to return a dvd (redbox rental) and was out of sight of my truck for three mins. Came out and seen a car pulling away from truck..Something seemed strange cause I parked way away from other cars because the chipper was hooked to my truck....So I looked everything over but did'nt look in my box until I got back to my shop to unload. Whats really strange is there was a husky 359 laying in the back of the truck and it was'nt taken...Realized the 200's were missing called thepolice filed a report......Couple days go by was watching craigslist and checking local pawn shops....seen a add on craigslist for a 200t out of a pawn shop in town 50 miles away...sure enough they were both there....worst part was somebody must of ran straight gas threw em, neither will run / locked up....state of maryland is proscuting the person who sold the saws to the pawn shop...I'll end up getting the money but district attoney told me, they have to pay resituition. Worst part is if they set up a payment plan the crook can pay a minium 0f 25$ a month untill the estimated value of 1,200$ is paid of....its a mess

I will get them both back after the case is over...They were stolen out of my tool box in the back of my truck @ a walmart parking lot....I ran in to return a dvd (redbox rental) and was out of sight of my truck for three mins. Came out and seen a car pulling away from truck..Something seemed strange cause I parked way away from other cars because the chipper was hooked to my truck....So I looked everything over but did'nt look in my box until I got back to my shop to unload. Whats really strange is there was a husky 359 laying in the back of the truck and it was'nt taken...Realized the 200's were missing called thepolice filed a report......Couple days go by was watching craigslist and checking local pawn shops....seen a add on craigslist for a 200t out of a pawn shop in town 50 miles away...sure enough they were both there....worst part was somebody must of ran straight gas threw em, neither will run / locked up....state of maryland is proscuting the person who sold the saws to the pawn shop...I'll end up getting the money but district attoney told me, they have to pay resituition. Worst part is if they set up a payment plan the crook can pay a minium 0f 25$ a month untill the estimated value of 1,200$ is paid of....its a mess

Good on you for getting them prosecuted. Takes a lot of persistence. I could tell you stories like that for hours that would bore the hell out of you.

Last one was a crack head that was on the news for stealing gas out of businesses all over Cinci. We are losing gas in mass quantities. One day we come back to my equipment lot and a tall black crackish looking guy is walking out of my fenced in lot with 2 gas cans. I called the cops and we "detained" him. Cops show and he bolts. Too hot for them to pursue into the woods. We see him walking down the main drag the next morning and follow at a distance and get him arrested.

Took me 4 trips down town and stood in front of a grand jury to get him prosecuted. It happened mainly because we put a locking gas cap on his main source....a large stump grinder and he got pissed off and took a crow bar to it causing the amt of damage that got him 2 years. Otherwise he prob would have skated.

Latest posts

Back