whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played around with my new Hitchhiker. It's the first SRT device I've owned.

Definitely got some learning to do.

Had to fire the new guy the other day. Just worthless. I’m sick of young people man. No clue and no effort. Got a line on a new hire, we’ll see how that goes.

I’ve got an awesome groundy right now. Gets everything just like that. It’s amazing the difference when you find someone that’s for real and inclined for this ****. Let’s hope he keeps his **** together. Sure has been a pleasure so far.

I’m still trying to find another full time guy, but have a hard time staying with the hunt. I lose interest pretty easily once I get operational enough to do my thing. I’ll keep going though. Same boat as you, I imagine. I just don’t know when I’m supposed to find time to meet these freaks. Lol

Even if I liked the kid I’d have to fire him. Both my other guys said kick him to the curb. Gotta keep the team happy.

I imagine they have their reasons. Lol. I got a part time kid that’s been with me almost a year now. Kids the opposite of most his age. 21 years old, married, owns a house, two new cars. Works all the time. Cool kid too. It’s all in the upbringing, I guess. We laugh about all the losers that have blown through while he’s been here even. So many freaks! Lol

We cant even get people to interview! I wish we had somebody semi interested in a job. Had one person interested in a job a while back had his cdl A but couldn't start the truck... somehow made it through truck school with out ever seeing a clutch!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I may be loosing my long time groundie next month. He's been working for me since 2015. I'm dreading it if I do because right now it's down to just me and him. If I can't find some more help, I may decided to pack this show in and just rent out my crane to other tree services, etc. No more employee headaches at that point I guess. I've had similar experience to No Tree To Big. I can't even get anybody to show up to talk to me.

I may be loosing my long time groundie next month. He's been working for me since 2015. I'm dreading it if I do because right now it's down to just me and him. If I can't find some more help, I may decided to pack this show in and just rent out my crane to other tree services, etc. No more employee headaches at that point I guess. I've had similar experience to No Tree To Big. I can't even get anybody to show up to talk to me.
What kinda crane? Transition into crane work only? Trusses ac units steel....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I put an ad looking for experienced help positing wages up to 25 an hour and all I got was greenhorns who looked like they didn’t get any sleep the night before. They would last a day to a week.

I put an ad looking for experienced help positing wages up to 25 an hour and all I got was greenhorns who looked like they didn’t get any sleep the night before. They would last a day to a week.

It’s not the money. It’s them. It’s like the traits that made people good workers in the past have been bred out these days or something.

We should all take pride, we’re a dying breed.

I’d love to hear Mr. Shaw’s input on this.

Anyway, we got done with a huge maple removal over a town road today. I had an extra guy for traffic detail. The whole tree was so rotten mid way the trunk was cracking and splitting when it was getting “trunked” down. I felt my stomach turn when that happened considering we hung the tops out with the bucket maxed out. That being said, I really hate working over traffic.

35 ton Grove with 104' main boom and a 32' jib. I keep turning down other work because I don't have time or my NCCCO cert. I'm also only insured for doing tree work at the moment. There's only two crane outfits in town and I heard the other day that the owner of one of them is retiring. Multiple people I know in the tree business are getting frustrated with the other one as they are so busy it's causing problems.

Alright, it’s finally done. Took two whole days out of my life and four months waiting, but it’s done. Grapple on and fourth function hyd. kit installed (basically four hyd ports up front and grapple spins by holding a bottom in the joystick and pushing the stick right or left. I’m not gonna say it’s not heavy, but it’s F’n awesome!! Yep.:)
9D2AB2B9-54FA-48CA-894F-32040215E2E7.jpeg
6FF9A033-41BD-4F7B-95B7-EF245DEABF56.jpeg
5E938CF9-D500-4977-B732-2412B1ADD070.jpeg 824F275C-E449-473A-90DD-54D8067299E7.jpeg

Double whip smackled this poor beautiful white oak. I tried to convince the guy not to do it (really!), but the addition/pool won out. Gonna be interesting getting that wood out. See what The Boss (grapple) is made of. Stump and topsoil in the rain too. Should also be interesting.
760BF599-1356-4530-BEEF-CC43C599E9D0.jpeg
5BA50C4F-592B-48C1-BAC0-1C6C97003075.jpeg

Boss Grapple passed the test on the big wood. Thing has some serious grip!! :) I parked the big chipper out front on the international and fed the limb wood into that. That part was like a combination of watching tv and playing video games. That joystick powered rotation is a luxury compared to the old setup too. Generally a good day playing with the trees.
8F5C3810-B3A3-489F-9815-FEA6AB155B35.jpeg
6E19B615-0BCE-4E83-9D81-AD9D375DA830.jpeg 6207FEC3-B858-46ED-8850-CAE92E87A1B9.jpeg 7D6A4403-F555-47CB-A769-0A4BC74D9C44.jpeg

Attachments

• D94CD92F-611E-47A3-A2B2-D05FC9DAED39.jpeg
    D94CD92F-611E-47A3-A2B2-D05FC9DAED39.jpeg
    931.8 KB · Views: 13
Back