whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup our 2013 15" broke a shaft and our 2015 15" lost both feed wheels about 3 months apart this season the the lower broke probably from having that huge ass motor hanging on it and the top actually tore out of the drum the shaft was fine bit there is so little surface area to attach the shaft to the drum. We enlarged that mounting plate so hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yup our 2013 15" broke a shaft and our 2015 15" lost both feed wheels about 3 months apart this season the the lower broke probably from having that huge ass motor hanging on it and the top actually tore out of the drum the shaft was fine bit there is so little surface area to attach the shaft to the drum. We enlarged that mounting plate so hope that helps

I’ve read they’ve had problems. I was hoping it was just the earlier models. Sounds like it’s not. How many hours are on hours yours?
Nice.

I can see what you're saying about the whole used chipper deal. I guess it depends on how you look at things and where you're at, etc. I looked at the new chipper like "hell, it's only 10 or 15k more than I paid for my 5500 ram chip truck, so that seems reasonable enough". I mean guys buy super duty fords all the time for plowing and just let them rot out after ten years or so. You look at it that way and the chipper doesn't seem that pricey - at least not to me. Plus it's a key piece of equipment.
I totally agree. Depends on where you are in business. It is a key piece of equipment and you may be better suited to absorb the added cost than a smaller operation. That’s the tough part with chippers right now. $60k is sort of the upper limit for a chipper. At least to me.The diesel option puts it over the top. And it’s tough to justify that added cost

I’ve read they’ve had problems. I was hoping it was just the earlier models. Sounds like it’s not. How many hours are on hours yours?

I totally agree. Depends on where you are in business. It is a key piece of equipment and you may be better suited to absorb the added cost than a smaller operation. That’s the tough part with chippers right now. $60k is sort of the upper limit for a chipper. At least to me.The diesel option puts it over the top. And it’s tough to justify that added cost
Our older one lost the drum shaft at about 4k hours it's up to almost 7k now. Other then that it's been fairly reliable couple water pumps, alternator, wheel bearing (I think improper bearing packing was the culprate same "mechanic" 2 separate machines both failed...) we had the feed wheel drive chain break several times I'd recommend having master links and tools handy it's a couple min fix if you are prepared.

The newer one had its feedwheel issues around 3k hours I'm up to about 3600 hrs now.

Now I will say we run them hard. Stuffing whole crane picks and feeding with a grapple truck on a fairly regular basis. These chippers have seen thousands of dead elm and ash trees which is pretty abusive if you ask me.

Yes. But the shafts are removable if i remember correctly. Not like Vermeer where if the shaft is damaged on the drum you need a whole new drum
Yes shafts are removable ours was not pleasurable to remove one bit tho. I know there was as day of heating the drum/componants and pounding with a sledgehammer. I'm sure morbark has some huge hydraulic press designed for it but we did not, lol.

Our older one lost the drum shaft at about 4k hours it's up to almost 7k now. Other then that it's been fairly reliable couple water pumps, alternator, wheel bearing (I think improper bearing packing was the culprate same "mechanic" 2 separate machines both failed...) we had the feed wheel drive chain break several times I'd recommend having master links and tools handy it's a couple min fix if you are prepared.

The newer one had its feedwheel issues around 3k hours I'm up to about 3600 hrs now.

Now I will say we run them hard. Stuffing whole crane picks and feeding with a grapple truck on a fairly regular basis. These chippers have seen thousands of dead elm and ash trees which is pretty abusive if you ask me.

Ok, I feel better now. 3000 hours isn’t too bad. How do you like them? Sounds like they’re working out well.!

Shredded the drive belt on our chipper last week. Got a new one on after much torching of bolts and we’re trying to get the tension down. First day it was way too loose, then much better and it started slipping after some stretching. Tomorrow it should be good.

@tree MDS @flushcut and anyone else who may know:

do you reckon those tracked lifts could take the place of a bucket truck? I know it’s an added piece of equipment to tow to a site but it’s way more versatile in some situations from what I can tell.

I don't think a lift will replace a bucket, but a lift is all I run now. A lift has better access, less impact, more compact, and is half as fast ): as a bucket.

I don't think a lift will replace a bucket, but a lift is all I run now. A lift has better access, less impact, more compact, and is half as fast ): as a bucket.

What kind of lift are you running? Have you run an Omme to compare it to speed wise, etc?

I’m pretty happy with mine all around. I have nothing to compare it to though.

The two speed solenoid thingy on the engine died the other day (just died adjusting the tracks), which kind of sucks (only low idle). I have to wire it open in the high position till they can get out here.

Running a CMC 72hd arb pro. I don't think it is quite as fast as an Omme but I am not a fast paced production kind of guy. The functions are smooth so it's fast enough. No real issues so far, knock on wood. I love the thing!

FD6838D1-72F0-43CF-BE2A-D11C96774694.jpeg Snagged a Ditch Witch SK850 to replace my Bobcat MT55. Welded a mounting plate to the branch manager grapple off the mt55 (bobcat uses their own mounting plate vs the universal found on most other minis) and I’m good to go.

Very happy that I went with the bigger motor in the sk850/sk1050, versus the 24hp that comes in the sk752/sk800. Not lacking any power with the 33hp turbo yanmar.

Traded my MS290 that was burnt up and converted to an MS390 for a Ruger SR9c in box with two mags. I had about $100 in the saw total, so not too bad of a deal.

Back