whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
83420597_1266923923491606_6835384080138240000_o.jpg
What do you think about the rear mount can’t dump / behind cab mount dumping thing. Knowing I have the giant and tractor too if needed. I hear the behind cab ones ride better and less stress on frame, etc. The extra reach is obviously sweet with a rear mount though. I just like the thought of having a huge triaxle dump with a Z fold boom tucked behind the cab. Lol.. just dreaming anyway though.

I have friends that have the giant loader rear mounted and they can off load logs pretty quick but like said if you have a lot of small stuff you will probably be kicking yourself in the a$$ for not getting the behind the cab with the dump ability, so much easier and quicker. But I always thought a nice 25 to 35 ton crane would come before a kboom. If you got the money after the crane...buy the loader imo. With the crane you can pick any tree apart and you can't with the loader truck usually.

View attachment 792570

I have friends that have the giant loader rear mounted and they can off load logs pretty quick but like said if you have a lot of small stuff you will probably be kicking yourself in the a$$ for not getting the behind the cab with the dump ability, so much easier and quicker. But I always thought a nice 25 to 35 ton crane would come before a kboom. If you got the money after the crane...buy the loader imo. With the crane you can pick any tree apart and you can't with the loader truck usually.

I will be needing another wood truck eventually here, that’s what led me to thinking just do a log truck first, then down the line when I get a knuckleboom crane, that’ll just be the final piece. Till then I need a wood truck most every job, so this would be just a really big (and DOT impervious) one. That’s kinda what I’m after right now.

But I hear you on a smaller crane. Just not sure That’s the direction I wanna go. Imagine running a grapplesaw truck from a 90’ lift with a log truck (they got remotes for those too now!!) on site.:baba:

Not sure I’d be up to a log truck after a new crane. Seems like the crane would pretty much finish me off. Lol.

View attachment 792570

that’s a bad ass looking loader right there!!

Got smoked in the head today with a dead oak top. Had a tag line pulling it into the woods and I topped it at a about 40’ up. It hit another tree and came back at me and smashed my head on the way down. Hurt my neck but my head is fine thanks to my pfanner.
Should have been on the backside of that oak and hid behind it.

I cut an ash “limb” last year that did a similar thing. Was in the woods edge and I tried to dart it down in a hole between some trees closer to the house (stone dead 110’ tree). The branch (40’ or so) darted down and hit the ground butt first, but then came back towards me with the tips. It was taller and I was lower than I realized, and like you said, not hiding behind the tree. Took a pretty good beating on that one. Thought I broke my hand for a couple days. Hit my head too (thankful for my hard hat as well). Bought the lift soon after that.

We gotta look out for ourselves out there,, sadly I wouldn’t count on anyone else to do it. Lol

We have a single axle behind the cab mount grapple truck with a 20 ft dump bed. We run a 12" chipper so anything larger gets hauled via the grapple truck or loaded into the dump bed on our f550. While our grapple truck dumps, we normally unload with the grapple. We haul back to our wood lot. We don't go to the dump. If you dump the bed they leave a long linear load not really a pile. I really like the single axle truck for getting into backyards, etc. Sometimes its a whole lot faster than brining all the wood out with the mini. The downside is its easier to overload it.

Latest posts

Back