whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up some wood from yesterday’s maple and brought the Giant back. Then me and another guy met my stump guy to drop the two poles out front of the shop and grind things down/ prep for 3/4” processed. Pulled up a couple good sized rocks and places them for shop landscaping. Coming out pretty sweet so far.:):):)

Old Jefferson needed a hand from the track loader at the dump to start tipping. He got it after that. Rocks and dirt are a different story than trees, as you guys know. Did good other than that though (and that was minor).

CF3D76B4-1CFC-42A5-AA06-59D1BFBA6C96.jpeg
B0240314-7AEB-4448-A1F2-EE8E82EDA3E1.jpeg
23B0190F-0D2A-47AA-B866-E10DE4639CCB.jpeg

I have done something similar —- and the people have been repeat clients for years, plus they live 5 min away. Luck of the draw.

She called me saying a tree was making a weird groaning and squeezing noise. I went over and found a large double black locust with the fusion splitting right into large roots and decay inside.

Whoa . So I put semi-truck tie downs and chain around both trunks at three levels, working from the bottom up. Yes, I climbed the tree , but then gave the job to another guy with a lift truck

Still use the chain so not a bad investment. I remember it getting dark as I cinched up the third level at about 30 ft

I probably spent $150 on materials and was in the tree for an hour, likely charged way too little. But returned to prune multiple trees three times and apply systemic to another large black locust a couple times for locust borer.
Thanks for sharing that experience. It's great how it worked out for you!

Nice work! Quite a reach with the jib!
Yeah he was maxed at 180'. Been subbing him when my crane won't reach for about 40 years now. He does tree work pretty much every day of the week. He will actually turn leaders for you if you bring in the saw slowly with no face cut. He is on a whole other level than most.

I think I have the set up for picks now. Zig zag attached above the ball and a 12' choker with a screw rigging beaner on it and 2 spiders 16' long eyed into the headache ball snap. He picks me out of the bucket or ground or stem or wherever I start and booms me over the piece. I rappel into the piece and hook up 1, 2 or 3 connections. I then tell him (on headset) to boom up and/or sideways to tightness I want while I open the zig zag and watch my line (sampson Vortex with a tiny eye splice)....run through it. When all set...rappel back into the bucket or stem where cut is made, pullout the climb line and make your cut.

I just bought an Akimbo to try out. Waiting for line (13 mm edelrid direction up) I ordered for it. I have a Bulldog Bone but it seems so primitive and seizes up if not lubricated sometimes. I was on ******** when they developed the akimbo (also the BDog) and then Rock Exotica bought it and it is a pretty sharp package. Thinking of canopy anchor and just use for td's. Anyone else try one? 1616943683950.png

@treevet I’ve got one. It’s ok. I have 5 different SRT set ups and use my rope runner the most. I’m not as picky as a lot of climbers so my only complaint with the akimbo is it slips if I get to a section of my rope that isn’t used as much. Really tall trees or ones that I’ve redirected a ton with a basal anchor is where I’ve had this issue. Other than that it does what it’s supposed to.

@treevet I’ve got one. It’s ok. I have 5 different SRT set ups and use my rope runner the most. I’m not as picky as a lot of climbers so my only complaint with the akimbo is it slips if I get to a section of my rope that isn’t used as much. Really tall trees or ones that I’ve redirected a ton with a basal anchor is where I’ve had this issue. Other than that it does what it’s supposed to.
Treebilly...I think it is no good in sappy conifers and is dangerous and won't hold in rain. But looks like mostly fun to me.

I think I got this dialed in nicely now. Bucket goes on the left of log truck, just need to move bucket out and the log dumping/sorting area is all clear to right of log truck (doubles as worker parking). I think it’ll work out as good as it’s going to here. Nice being able to take only full loads to the dump instead of dumping as you do jobs.
5C945104-DE38-42E9-A8BE-2CB2D4B9E52D.jpegE056E678-25FB-437F-9FD0-713BB4FD4C8C.jpeg12D1E1A6-EE47-4D45-832C-CAB65818AE32.jpeg11CDAD1B-72CB-42D6-99FC-63DD9FD01AC7.jpeg

Yeah he was maxed at 180'. Been subbing him when my crane won't reach for about 40 years now. He does tree work pretty much every day of the week. He will actually turn leaders for you if you bring in the saw slowly with no face cut. He is on a whole other level than most.

I think I have the set up for picks now. Zig zag attached above the ball and a 12' choker with a screw rigging beaner on it and 2 spiders 16' long eyed into the headache ball snap. He picks me out of the bucket or ground or stem or wherever I start and booms me over the piece. I rappel into the piece and hook up 1, 2 or 3 connections. I then tell him (on headset) to boom up and/or sideways to tightness I want while I open the zig zag and watch my line (sampson Vortex with a tiny eye splice)....run through it. When all set...rappel back into the bucket or stem where cut is made, pullout the climb line and make your cut.
Nice setup!

You must do a lot of crane work.

I just bought an Akimbo to try out. Waiting for line (13 mm edelrid direction up) I ordered for it. I have a Bulldog Bone but it seems so primitive and seizes up if not lubricated sometimes. I was on ******** when they developed the akimbo (also the BDog) and then Rock Exotica bought it and it is a pretty sharp package. Thinking of canopy anchor and just use for td's. Anyone else try one? View attachment 897635

I got one when it first came out. It lasted 14 months and wore out. Wont work anymore.

Man that thing should be replaced for free. Cost about $350. Tell them you are gonna post what happened all over the internet if they don't. I think they sell the hell out of them. Did you like it before it seized?

Man that thing should be replaced for free. Cost about $350. Tell them you are gonna post what happened all over the internet if they don't. I think they sell the hell out of them. Did you like it before it seized?

It was my go to. I liked it above the rope runner and wrench. I’m back on the wrench and like that one since I can hook a RAD system on the fly and it won’t bail on me like the rope runner will. Rock exotica said it was normal wear and tear so they won’t replace.

It was my go to. I liked it above the rope runner and wrench. I’m back on the wrench and like that one since I can hook a RAD system on the fly and it won’t bail on me like the rope runner will. Rock exotica said it was normal wear and tear so they won’t replace.
That is just plain bad customer relations. We buy mechanicals to avoid that. Zig zags are guaranteed for life. You just have to save the box. They replaced 2 for me in their beginning.

Latest posts

Back