What’s up with this weather??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael j

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After sub zero temperatures and-40 wind chills, I was ready to cut some wood. Yesterday I got 3 loads out of the woods, and by 3 it was gettin sloppy. Guess I’ll call it a season, unless it freezes up good and stout again.

I always bring the biggins to the house,so I can split when it gets like this.

56F now, dont know what the high was for today. Spent the morning sliceing up bacon and jowls. I spent 8hrs doing a cold smoke to them yesterday and left them hanging in the smoke house. I thought they would be cool enough for slicing but ended up putting them in the freezer for a little bit before they would slice properly.

Four days ago I woke up at 4:45 am to let my dogs out and it was -2°F with daytime temps in the teens. By Friday we had 4" of snow, then the following day it was in the 40s, and today it was 52°F. So much mud, I'm sick of it - been sick of since last winter! Nothing but mud the past 14 months...

My house and the shop are about 1.5 miles apart. The shop south of my house.

My house---- snowing and 40+mph winds, blizzard. I had to go out of the garage, snow had drifted in the front door. I ran into town (north) for parts and the plows can't keep up with the drifts even.

Shop.... still snowing, but lazy snow, not even a breeze.

No idea how there can be 40mph winds and no wind only a mile apart! About the same temp, high teens.

Anyhow here most of the this winter and last winter has been cold, warm, cold, warm.

Couple weeks ago we went from -20+ to 45* overnight.

We went from below zero wind chill to forty's and fifty's Fri, Sat, Sun. You could almost get stuck around here Sun on the gravel roads. This AM it's 12 with 0 wind chill again and the mud is gone again. Sounds like all week will be cold with some more snow.

Last Wednesday had a high of 1*F. Yesterday (Sunday) had a high of 63*F. For a spread of only four days, that's a little strange. Of course this is Indiana.

Weather is for the most part natural and uncontrollable. That said, I've had winters which dip down to -20 and others never seem to get below +20. I've had winters with nearly no snow to others with 110" of snow.............

It's like Forest Gump said; "It Happens"...........

This winter has alternated between frozen hard & mud bog (but mostly mud). Am sick of it also...

By midnight today, Eastern Nebraska will have received about 50" of snow in 2019. Last year it was a tad over a foot in January and February added together. This year reminds me of upper New York's typical snow. When I moved here nearly 40 years ago, I thought I had said good bye to that. I was wrong.

It's all a myth, It's always changing. The earth and weather patterns have been changing for millions of years. It was changing long before man could have possibly had anything to do with it.
Everything runs in cycles, some are short and some are long. Some only take a few years, others takes hundreds and even thousands of yours. Mother Earth will be fine, we on the other hand, are screwed.

It's all a myth, It's always changing. The earth and weather patterns have been changing for millions of years. It was changing long before man could have possibly had anything to do with it.
Everything runs in cycles, some are short and some are long. Some only take a few years, others takes hundreds and even thousands of yours. Mother Earth will be fine, we on the other hand, are screwed.
This week is supposed to be cold all week with single-digit lows, below-zero wind chills, and highs in the teens. In short, the average temp is going to be about 30 degrees below normal and more snow and below zero readings are scheduled for the next weekend.

Nobody around here has seen a ground hog and February snowfall broke the all-time record. I might as well move to Fargo, ND or International Falls, MN.

My daughter who lives in Wisconsin said they just broke the 4 foot of snow mark for Febuary alone this year setting a new record. just sent me mail and it is snowing again there.

In my area of Michigan no snow or frozen over lakes at new years. Temps so mild I was driving steel T post for a fence I'm going to build. Mid January it got cold to freeze the mud and lakes so the hard water fisher persons could do some.

:D Al

Latest posts

Back