What’s up with this weather??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who would have thought just a year ago that the climate change could be such a factor. We had a mild winter and average dry summer. Because of lack of interest and environmental restrictions very little wild fire prevention took place. My heart goes out to families that lost their members due to the uncontrolled fires. Now we have 30 F to 40 F and rain after having the coldest winter ever recorded in California. Not far away near Palm Springs they went several months with out one 80 F day which is unheard of. I sure that the climate is out of control. Today Palm Springs had some sprinkles while up here in the mountains it is in the upper 30 F. Had to put on a jacket. Thanks

Nothing's really changed here in the east.....rain about every other day.
Had to weed eat my whole back yard due to standing water.

On the other hand, I also recall that in 1997 we had a hard freeze on May 11, right after I planted two dozen tomato plants. They all turned black on May 12 and went to plant heaven.

I also remember about three years ago we had a hard freeze in mid April that destroyed most all cherry tree fruit harvest for the season. I remember because I had big plans to stock up on cherries to freeze for pie and aging beer.

Oregon Weather Report: I am out pile burning storm damage day after day and here it is only early May, when I would usually be in the mud.

Just incredible weather we're having in Oregon.... we are going to PAY big time come fire season this year.

fireSM.jpg

Talk about weird weather... first stormzilla in February and now perhaps 20 perfect days in a row. 88 this Friday? That's some weather.

Capture44.jpg

No thanks! I hate seeing temps that high even in the middle of summer. 50-55* is plenty warm enough.
Dang you Choppy. All of a sudden I realized I hadn't seen a post by Valley in a long time. I was getting worried you up and died on us, or got runned over by a damned ol' train or something. Glad you just changed your name.

Beautiful day yesterday, winter storm warning tonight. LOL

I have some replacement boards for the deck set out to be stained. Texted my wife to please put them in the garage.

We've been flirting with the frost point for the last two mornings. Was hoping to get a hard frost and wipe out some of the bugs before it warms up. No other bugs yet but the sand flies get pretty bad in the evenings. Last year we had no sand flies to speak of but the mosquitoes came out in droves starting in early June and did not go away till mid September. Hoping it is not that bad this year.

We had 5--6" of the heaviest damn snow overnight, about the consistency of wet concrete. Went to town for breakfast and had to dodge busted tree limbs all over the place. This is about a week and a half or two later than we usually have our last heavy dump of snow.

Anyone who still does not believe in global warming should have been in Alaska (my brother lives there) in April when they had 70 degree weather, unheard of. The effects of warming are concentrated closer to the poles. Talk to some of the folks up north who are seeing their glaciers disappear at an alarming rate.

I thought the term was 'climate change' ...

Climate change deniers:

"It's so cold this winter, so much for global warming..."

Climate change proponents:

"The weather this year is so wacky, must be global warming ..."

Both of the respective sides of the argument seldom make a valid point.

It's all a big myth. The thing we should all be scared about is the fact that the alarmists want you to vote for THEIR political party in order to fix it.

This planet is much bigger than the people. Not a whole lot we can do to affect the overall temperature. The Sun has something to do with it.
Remember the first gulf war, and the iraqis setting the oil wells on fire? Oh, that was supposed to cause trouble for decades to come!
Then a nice rainstorm came along and washed it all away.

If the temperatures rise, what happens to the oceans? They evaporate more. That means more cloud cover. That means more sunlight reflected back into space. That means cooler temperatures. That means less evaporation and cloud cover. It's called a cycle. Warming and cooling. Been happening for years.

The earth will survive us.

Let's just do our part to keep it clean, eh? The US does quite well. Let's work on the other countries for now.

RTR385D5-1024x672.jpg

Back