What’s your favorite mid sized saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cff355dda1fd11d33ecb36d1944ded32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't answer that, I love all saws. What's the scale? Below 50 is small, 50 to 70 is mid, and above 70 is big? My MS290 stays on my truck 24/7, I've got bed dividers and the saw is in the middle one. One day it's upside down, next right side up, wet, snow. I just cant kill it. I like my old Echo CS500, and my XL12's. Sorry, you are making my brain hurt.

If mid is 50-60cc then for me it's the 261c for production cutting and the pro mac 1010s for style.
The 261c just has so much dang torque with a 16' bar and .325 chain.
But if mid goes up to 70cc then the 462 is in there as well.

For my purposes 50-60cc is mid. If I was cutting big wood more regularly then I'm sure 70cc would be mid but as of now I only use anything bigger than 72cc once in a blue moon so 70 is big.

I dont use my 261c for felling unless I am working on hedgerows: willows, hawthorn, blackthorn, holly, juvenile ash etc. For me it's more of a firewood saw or for bucking on the landing. But when I'm actually in the woods then I almost exclusively use 70cc saws because I like using a longer bar regardless of how big the wood is. Being able to reach well above your head, and stay away from logs that might move violently when being bucked is a big plus in my book.

Back