What’s your favorite mid sized saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If mid is 50-60 then I'm between that class as I have a 40ish, 60ish and 70ish

That said, I run my 241 more than anything for firewood and end up grabbing my 461 for the big/bigger stuff.

Will be interesting to hear what the rest of you say for mid range if it's 50-60 cc :)

There's a real nice 266SE for sale here locally that I have been lusting over. It is an early saw with the white markings on the orange top cover. I wish it would hurry up and sell so I can get some sleep :baba:

Go for it, we only live once, I purchased a new husky 2100cd and a 240sg and had to cut on a new highway. I spent $1,100. I made my money back the first year. As time went on I learned about saws. The 266SE was a great addition to the other two.

Go for it, we only live once, I purchased a new husky 2100cd and a 240sg and had to cut on a new highway. I spent $1,100. I made my money back the first year. As time went on I learned about saws. The 266SE was a great addition to the other two.
I've got so many saws already Bill and this time of year is quite expensive. If I had the money just laying around there would be pics of it here already lol.

If I put a 24' bar on this would it count as mid range?

maxresdefault.jpg

Mid range in harvester sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stihl ms261 and a ms462, both mastermind ported. I keep bouncing between the two. Love them each for there own reasons, but I were to have only one, it would be the 261. It’s humps pretty good right out of the box but, wow how amazing it is ported! Light too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve always considered 60-80 cubic centimeters as the “mid size” of saws. Of them, my favorite of all time is the 372XP. Any of the three versions. The OE was lighter but the low end wasn’t as good. The one with the cut off saw jug met the “there’s no replacement for displacement” category and the X-Torque version had the best power band, and it’s not much heavier than the OE.

They all feel pretty much the same in my hands, and they all feel really good in my hands. The rear handle might be a problem for the soft-handed and no gloves crowd, but I wrap my ugly pieces of meat attached to my wrist in gloves and that takes the abuse of those hard corners. Great air filters, and they’re very smooth with stiff enough springs where they don’t hit the stops with a long bar on. Oh, and did I mention the Husqvarna front handles actually align with your wrist in its relaxed position?

The MS 461 is a very strong contender, as is the MS 441C-M. But there’s something about the combination of ergos and power with a 372 that just makes it feel so much quicker when I flick one around in the brush.

One reason I recommended the Stihl 026 PRO occurred yesterday. Wind chill was -10 F and I went to a logger's work site with it. I had not started and run it for over a year, but two of my Husqvarnas were down. The Stihl started on the second pull and ran flawlesly all morning. I brought in a full truckload of hardwood that I will be splitting and seasoning for next year. Sorry, no Pics, I was too busy to take any.

Is that one you ported Jon? If so, you wanna do mine? :)
Yeah Ryan, it's one of two that I did, I ground the dividers out of the intakes on the 1st one, then I read Mastermind doesn't do that anymore & gets better power.
So I left them in on the 2nd one just tapering the ends a bit and he was right, noticeable difference,
There is more there tho, I would like to get more compression, it's in the 170s, with gasket delete, 20 lbs more would make it a real bad ass.
I can't find a proper 47 m/m piston to cut a popup on so will have to get the cyl to Scott or Steve for some proper cutting.
I'm really not wanting to work on other people's saws cuz my rat tail file & wood chisle are gittin dull.

My favorite "mid-size" saws are Husqvarna 55's (closed port). Right up there with them is my Echo CS-510. Light, fast, excellent power to weight and dead solid reliable in long term service. I use these saws more than any others these days and all our outfitted with 18" bars and Oregon DPX .325" chains......Cliff

Latest posts

Back